Tongue Receiver "pin"

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by jezter6, May 16, 2016.

1. jezter6

jezter6 New Member

When my trailer was delivered, the guy said I needed some sort of "pin" for my ball receiver lock-down thing (I don't know what to call it).

He gave me a cotter pin looking thing and said it would work in a pinch, but that the pin I should get is more D-shaped that connected all the way around and back to itself so it wouldn't fall out. I didn't really understand since we didn't have any pictures or idea of what it was.

Looking for it at Walmart and Online - everything I see has this really THICK bar, like 1/2" or something, which is way too big for what I think I'm supposed to have. The cotter pin thing looks no bigger than like 1/8" or so thick.

Can anyone point me to what I need?

2. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

I would just go into anyplace that sells trailer hitches, hardware stores, Walmart, harbor freight (probably the cheapest) and grab one off the shelve. Should only be $3-$7 depending on what you get.

Looking for the part with the Arrow pointing at it.

Attached Files:

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We have found them at the local hardware stores (Lowe's and True value), in the drawers of miscellaneous stuff. We actually have a locking coupler pin, as a deterrent for the opportunistic thief or vandal. It acts as a double-check for us too.
    http://www.amazon.com/CURT-25080-Coupler-Safety-Pin/dp/B001GN3H5A/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1463409688&sr=1-1&keywords=coupler+pin

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-2847DAT-Stainless-Adjustable/dp/B001B0QBZ6/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1463409659&sr=1-5&keywords=master+lock+coupler+lock

4. jezter6

jezter6 New Member

Thanks!!

When I looked at all those things the bar looked so much thicker than the cheap pin that was provided, but I didn't actually look at the PUP to see what size the hole might be.

Every time I saw those, I thought they were to secure the ball into the hitch on the TV because they were so much beefier than what I had in hand. But the picture on that first link from kitphantom showed a picture of it in the right spot, so something like that must be right.

Off to look further on the PUP to verify the hole.

5. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

6. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

I lost one once - it will be the only one as well. When I got home and purchased a new Pin I immediately connect some aircraft cable to it and affixed it to the tongue. No more forgotten or lost pins for me.

7. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

The part the ball goes into is called the 'coupler'.

I have always used a padlock in the coupler latch. I have a set of three matching (one key) padlocks, one in the coupler and two on the roof latches.

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

9. Milktrk

Milktrk New Member

I use a coupler pin lock that I picked up at Walmart. That way I know the trailer is secured to the truck and the kids won't play with it when I'm not looking and lose the trailer off the ball driving down the highway.

10. edh

edh Active Member

I can't believe they gave you a 1/8" cotter pin! You are lucky your camper made it home. I support what others said, get the beefiest that will fit the hole in your coupler and pick a design that cannot work its way out or be left behind on the ground. This is definitely not an item to save money on!

11. Rob-N-Kat

Rob-N-Kat Member

12. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

When I first got my camper, I thought the pin was only to lock the camper from being stolen. I took three trips with no pin. I have a pin now.

13. Rob-N-Kat

Rob-N-Kat Member

Yikes!

14. jezter6

jezter6 New Member

I've got a separate lock for the coupler where the ball goes in. I just need something to keep that latch locked in while driving.

Thanks all for the help. It's too rainy to go out and investigate the hole size today, but I will get something beefy that holds itself closed and hopefully can find a place to keep it mounted so I never lose it. Might not hurt to keep a spare in the toolkit though.

15. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

All good advice so far. I prefer one that locks, as well as a locking hitch pin in my hitch receiver. A couple years ago I discovered these by "Bolt"..... which key to my ignition key for my Ford truck.

Hitch pin....

http://www.amazon.com/BOLT-7025285-Trailer-Coupler-Lock/dp/B00KQPMYF8?ie=UTF8&keywords=bolt%20coupler%20lock&qid=1463506272&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

The hole in my trailer coupler is big enough to take their padlock, so this is what I use on my camper

http://www.amazon.com/BOLT-7018519-Padlock/dp/B005FNKFYS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1463506586&sr=8-2&keywords=bolt+ford+lock

This is the locking hitch pin I use. I have a couple.

http://www.amazon.com/BOLT-7018447-Receiver-Lock/dp/B005FNKFZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463506586&sr=8-1&keywords=bolt+ford+lock

Now I don't need to worry about having a second set of keys with me.

16. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

A trip to Ace and picked up the thinnest padlock did it for me.

17. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I have always use a plain old padlock.