tongue weight for Jayco BAja

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by oldcold, May 26, 2016.

1. oldcold

oldcold New Member

Just bought a used Jayco Baja with a generator, 5 gallon gas can, two batteries, and two propane tanks on the front of it. seems like a lot of tongue weight, what is considered a reasonable tounge weight? towing it with a 2015 f150 or a 2015 Toyota fourrunner. I need to take it to a truck scale to find out just how heavy it is at the hitch.

2. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

A reasonable tongue weight should be between 10% and 20% of the total weight of the trailer.

3. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

If it's a 10Y its going to be heavy. The 10Y uses the same box, and axle position, as our 1008. So the weight of that deck and everything on it is tongue weight. One of the reasons we chose the 1008 instead of the 10Y. There should be a label on the back of the galley cabinet door which will give you the dry tongue weight, and then add the weight of everything you have on the deck.

4. oldcold

oldcold New Member

It is a 10Z so it doesn't have the toy hauler deck.

5. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Our tongue weight with the storage box loaded, one g31 battey and 2 propane tanks is too heavy for the Xterra, we have to load the X light and put the coolers behind the axle of the pup. The X is unmodified, air bags would probably help. We almost always tow with the Silvy.

6. mandinga

mandinga Active Member

I had a 10Z same setup as you but with one battery. You will be fine with a pickup. I towed mine with a ford escape, but did get a WDH after the first few trips.

I nownow have a 10Y with the toy hauler deck. I tow it with a GMC Sierra. Loaded with the ATV there is about 600lbs on the ball. Tows fine and I don't use a WDH on that setup.

7. Scotia 55

Scotia 55 Member

I was at my local trailer shop picking up some new tires Last week and noticed a neat gadget that will measure your tongue weight. It is a drop hitch/ball that has a built in scale. Looks to be a company out of Utah. Pretty cool! Weigh-safe.com

8. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

That is really neat! Although it's definitely more suited to utility/cargo trailers where the loads vary and can be shifted more.

9. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

I have weighed the pup tongue with our bathroom scale. The bathroom scale goes up to 350 pounds.

For our big trailer I use a Sherline scale that goes to 2,000 pounds.