Too hot and humid for this senior to go camping.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by jerbear, Jul 4, 2018.

1. fullboat1010

fullboat1010 New Member

I don't blame you! Just got back from a trip here in Florida and it was HOT! I also sweat a lot, so had to change clothes a little too much. I am from the Midwest and understand the pain. Whereabouts are you? If possible, take a 3 or 4 day trip up North. I HIGHLY recommend northern Wisconsin or the UP, Michigan. I spent a summer up there and it was beautiful - the humidity was low, and the temperature didn't get too high. Also, the pine trees are plentiful, creating a lot of shade.

landon6062 likes this.
  2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Thank you!! I will look into these, and not opposed to buying batteries if it helps!

3. Overland

Overland Active Member

Never been one to camp in heat, prefer the colors of fall, fresh blanket of snow on the pines, and the wildflowers of spring.

Rik Peery likes this.
  4. upstate family

upstate family Member

We got 2 trips in before July. July tends to be a busy month for us so we don't usually camp during it and with the recent heat wave I am thankful we are home in the central a/c. We do have a trip planned for August but we will be up in the Adirondacks. Even if it is warm during the day we can get in the cool lake and it always cools down at night.

landon6062 likes this.
  5. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Wow i can see it is tough all around the country..Goodness be safe most of all..It has been so hot here I am sure you could fry a hamburger on a log.. 90s with heat index, it is over 100. I still have to mow the yard in that mess lol. I've seen my pup over 114 degrees inside at times.. There would be no way i would risk camping without an a/c... it is just too hot... yesterday was 103 outside with the heat index..we spent some time preparing the pup for Saturday night camping...Inside the pup...with the a/c running, gizmos, reflectix, and ice cooler we got it down to 85. Tolerable at least..thank goodness we have a small pool.. ...camping in my backyard tonight.. Lol...

Rik Peery likes this.
  6. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Temp here in the Roanoke Valley part of ol' Virginny is now 68*, numerous storms last night related to a cold front drop is gonna give us 3 days of low humidity, gonna take advantage & raise the Ranger & tweek, as well as hitting the lake w/ the yaks, may pull an all nighter myself lol...

landon6062 likes this.
  7. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Dont blame ya...get ot while the getting is good. Soumds like fun...We had a really bad storm last night too...yesterday the weather report said it would be in the 80s today...i am hoping that remains true..lol. we planned this as our first camping trip..."backyard camping" it would really take a lot at this point to change my mind...short of the a/c blowing up...ill be in that PUP tonight..

Rik Peery likes this.
  8. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Don't forget the bear spray tonight.

landon6062 likes this.
  9. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Lol. DAN too hot for the bears. Lol

10. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Have not winter camped for years.
    I'll be in my hot tub when it gets cold.

Overland likes this.
  11. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same here in the Puget Sound. Though, the couple of days we just had with 40% humidity were a bit tough. (Not really kidding about that- LOL).

The trade-off we have is that our camping season in the mountains here is pretty short- basically Memorial Day through mid to late September. Unless, of course, one wants to camp in the rain, or take the chance that the mountain passes are going to be closed.

12. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

I'm supposed to be camping at Spruce Run SP in NJ this weekend but the site has no electric and this 75 year old has to have AC this summer. Spruce Run looks like it has a beautiful lake beach which was my primary reason for booking but I gambled on the weather and lost. All the sites here are primitive. Maybe after Labor Day.