Too many Dogs

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Gadgetman728, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Doubtful, guy sounded like a jerk and I am sure if you were to ask him about the situation it was all a big injustice towards him....

Glad the host and ranger step up.

2. leningradka

leningradka Spending a small fortune to live like homeless guy

Exactly about them learning from each other! My second big guy came to us when he was six, quite as a mouse. My two other dummies taught him and now they all bark. Smh! And yes on the dog collars, tried and tried and either they fail or the dogs learn real quick when they are off

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Went camping this past weekend and there were a lot of dogs there. Most of them were really well behaved and rarely barked. We have a Golden Retriever who is a sweetheart and very quiet as well, and in addition we keep a bark collar on him while camping just in case something new sets him off. (

There was another site across the campground with at least 3 hounds that would bay repeatedly and loudly at any distraction. We were far enough away where it wasn't bothersome, but there were a few times I was taking our dog around the loop for a walk, and that would of course set them off. Each time their human counterparts kind of looked over annoyed at me, as if me and my dog (who barely gave them a sideways glance much less a return bark) were the problem.

4. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Luckily noone ever complains about our younger dog ever barking- she is a Basenji
    [ALPU] [TV]

5. turborich

turborich Active Member

Most dogs bark, just what they do. Some bark at certain things while others bark all day long without much of a reason. I have a pretty high tolerance for dogs, more so than people.

I have taken one of my dogs camping twice, he's a fairly small sized dog and doesn't bark excessively. However while at home I like my dogs to bark as it alerts me to anything that might be going on outside my home. They are companions, but also my alert.

As for camping, I usually leave them home because I'm not about to leave them unattended at the campsite or locked in a vehicle if we go to eat somewhere, etc.

I have always found that I can be in the most pissed off mood and if I see a dog it changes everything. :)

No bad dogs, just bad owners IMO!

6. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Yup. If you cannot properly train and care for animals, you should not have them. Having a dog is a lot like having a permanent toddler. So many people just acquire them with no thought or willingness to do be responsible for the animal's care and training. We think that they are a "right" or something. They are work and responsibility. From our effort, we garner the joy and comfort they provide. But a lot of people think the dog will train itself, or they just do not care. It is a lot like driving. People think that it is their right to drive. They get a license that entitles them to do most anything they want behind the wheel - either unconscious or arrogant about their rude behavior and often times dangerous actions.

We get frustrated and grieved with people who do not deserve the animal. Annoying and/or aggressive dogs should stay home. Owners are responsible for this, not the animal. It is really a matter of civility. A well-trained dog is a beautiful thing - so is a smart, considerate, and accountable owner.

7. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Gee whiz Niagara, you got that right. [DOG] The only reason we train ours is so they're fun to have along. AND training them is not all that hard to do. We doesn't appreciate dogs who bark, jump on people, growl or don't listen when given an order. Its all about giving them a little structure and order in there lives. Dogs do need that. We started our dogs blog just to show people that if you even modestly train them, you can have them out in the community with yourself. Dogs are indeed easy to train, while the other end of the lead is 83^$!803&645!!

8. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

I have 2 Schnauzers and they bark when we first get to the campground then stop and wind around every picnic table leg wrap around the lawn chairs. I honestly believe they would much rather be at home in their doggy beds in the AC!

9. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

10. DiscoB75

DiscoB75 Guest

I am not a dog person and have a very low tolerance for dogs, especially multiple barkers. I guess it came from living in apartments for a long time where people thought it was ok to have a Great Dane or a Bassett or Blood hound with separation issues in the city in a 600 sq ft apartment on the second or third floor.

While camping, I luckily have not had much of an issue, except on two separate occasions. Both times, the owners had two or three yappy little ankle-biters that they would leave in the camper for hours on end while they went to town or fishing; anywhere but at their campsite. The dogs would bark at everything through the open windows, then whine and squeal the rest of the time. It was maddening. I complained to the park office but nothing was ever done about it.

I guess I'm a grumpy old man already, as screaming, bratty kids make me feel the same way. But hey, everyone's got the right to relax at a campground, so I take one for the team and mind my own business.

11. upstate family

upstate family Member

We had our first problem with a barking dog on our last trip. The family set up camp and immediately left for the rest of the day. The dog cried and barked the entire time. The next morning my sister went over to talk to them. Unfortunately she didn't realize when she approached the site that it was the daughter sitting there and not the mom. But she was very nice and framed it in your poor dog was upset the entire day. The girl was apologetic and explained the dog had separation anxiety and she would tell her mother. My sister could commiserate as she has a dog like that too. The rest of the trip we never heard from the dog again. I suspect it was their first trip with the dog.
    We have 3 dogs but we only plan on bringing 2 with us in the Pup. The 3rd is too old and he would bark constantly trying to control is domain, which is anything he can see. The other 2 are young and we will spend time training them to adjust to life at the campground.
    I suspect much of the problem with bad dog owners goes to the prevalent attitude today that ,"It's all about me." Not much consideration for others in society today. I am teaching my girls otherwise.

12. Grammy and Pop

Grammy and Pop New Member

[PU]We were at a private campground two weekends in a row with our grand kids. Beautiful place. On Saturday night they have events. The people across from us attended and for 4 hours their dog was left outside on the attached porch of the seasonal rental to bark. Finally another neighbor went to find these people. The guy came back told the dog to be good, got back on his scooter and left. You guessed it, it continued to bark. Not sure what happened but the neighbor who went looking for the first one cornered the owner the next morning and filled him in. This is a real shame that some are so entitled and inconsiderate. It spoils the experience for all, not that they care. The CG was full and had no other spots open. We asked the girls at the office. Our poor old dog just parked on the ground by the fire and looked at us like can't you make it stop. The second week end we cut our trip short by a day and took the kids to our house to camp in the driveway. I guess we should of done that in the first place. They had just as much fun exploring our little town of 800. At 4 and 6 they were easy to entertain.
    We have been pup camping since the seventies and are not ready to give it up yet!

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Our dog barks at everything, so this is why she does not go camping with us. We know she would love it cause she likes to be outside. But, we know she would annoy others.