Tool box essentials

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by brainradio, Mar 13, 2010.

1. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

Instead of flares I would suggest getting a set of 3 warning triangles. Flares can be very dangerous. I once had the "pleasure" of watching a flare get clipped by a passing car and flipped up through the open window of a police car. Didn't take long before flames were shooting out of the car.

But you are on the right track with mentioning some kind of warning device.

For me:

Warning Triangles
    Duct tape
    Multi bit screw driver and any extra specialty screw drivers that might be needed.
    2 quality adjustable wrenches.
    Spare fuses and bulbs.
    jack and lug wrench
    can of silicone lubricant.
    super glue.
    screen repair kit
    (when I had the pup) canvas repair kit and seam sealer.
    assortment of sewing needles and a spool of black thread.
    Utility knife
    scissors.

2. scorp28

scorp28 Member

I would suggest a small magnetic parts tray for holding lug nuts or screws or whatever and a pair of gloves of some type, even if they are disposable, so that if you have to change a tire on the side of the road and your hands get dirty or greasy you wont transfer said dirt or grease to the inside of your TV.

3. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

My tool contains the following:

- Breaker bar
    - Sockets for lug nuts
    - Various screw drivers
    - Claw hammer
    - Hatchet
    - Electrical tape
    - Solderless crimp connectors (for electrical repairs)
    - Crimp tool
    - Digital multimeter (have used this more than once)
    - Allen wrenches
    - Cable ties
    - Flashlight
    - Spare fuses and bulbs

I can't stress the importance of the multimeter enough. You can buy a decent one ar Wally Wold or Harbor Freight for $20ish.

I probably ought to consider adding warning triangles...I like flares but would be afraind one of the kids might decide to try one out.

4. UKDiamond001

UKDiamond001 Active Member

As well as the tools mentioned here, I would say carry a spare awning pole the same length as the distance between the roof and the top of the camper box, saved my holiday when a lifter cable failed. Just lift the top and wedge it in place.

5. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We hate to carry any tool that requires a battery. Point is, when or if you need it, then the battery is gone. We don't carry a meter with us anyway. Why do we need a multi-meter while camping??

6. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

Charge the batteries before a trip and I always have a meter with me, always.

7. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Decent portable tools have interchangeable batteries these days. Keep a spare (charged) and maybe even bring the charger along if you have room.

I found(!) a DeWalt 20V drill/driver in my garage, and bought a charger & spare battery. When the driver went missing, I sighed and bought a Ryobi 18V drill because I already have their circular saw (and batteries, and a charger). Then the DeWalt reappeared—which is good, because sometimes I need both.

Something I didn't realize was essential until I saw it: my son in law has one of those compact booster boxes that uses a lithium-ion battery. Tons easier than maneuvering another vehicle into position for jumper cables! It also has an air compressor, light, and USB ports for charging the usual suspects. Besides the obvious things, it wouldn't take much to connect it to the camper wiring for emergency power. I thought the wife had bought it, and was bummed when he and DD moved out and took it with.

Special case, maybe, but I keep a grommet kit and sewing kit in the PUP as well, for the thousand natural shocks that canvas is heir to.

8. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

you might consider socket-wrench and hammer (yes!) to removing-replacing your leaf spring bolts (splined into the support bracket) to the frame and to the axle - as I found out on my last big trip. Or just buy them when you go to town to get the leaf springs.

9. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

I second the use of collapsible red triangles.

10. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Wow, this is an old thread brought back to life.

So, a few more things that I take that haven't been mentioned (I think),.....
    - tube of 5 minute epoxy
    - non contact electrical tester to check for power at 30 or 50 amp socket at the power post, or for hot skin on trailer
    - 15 amp plug in tester so you can check if the power post is wired properly. I do this every time before I plug in to the 15
    - I put together a kit for winter driving that I take along, it has a few tow straps, and hooks etc, to help out if you get stuck
    - booster pack for your TV battery
    - 1 set of wheel bearings for the trailer (pre-greased), and a grease seal
    - 12v test light
    - zip lock bag of variety of nails, screws, nuts/bolts/washers, cotter pins, hose clamps
    - tire plug kit and a small 12v air compressor
    - couple of extra wheel nuts for both trailer and TV in case something stupid happens
    - a liter of oil for the TV and a funnel