Top 10 Most Innovative PopUp Campers on the Market ???

Discussion in 'PopUpPortal TV' started by PopUpSteve, Oct 3, 2019.

1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I don't know if I agree with a lot of the information presented, especially the pricing.

What do you think?

2. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

Makes a good case for buying used. I was fascinated by the inflatable though.

3. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

I think whoever is doing these videos should find someone who has English as a first language, or a better translator program. Just to hard to listen too. Could not make it past the second camper

neighbormike likes this.
  4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I didn't have any problem with his English.

5. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Member

Notwithstanding PopUpSteve’s comments as to pricing (which is another topic), as well as quoting numbers that may be misleading, the biggest problem I have with this kind of content is the lack of disclosure.

Since 2016 this content creator has posted 380 "Top 10" videos on YouTube. None of the content is same. Creating and posting nearly 100 videos per year is almost certainly a commercial operation. I didn't see any sort of disclaimer or notice in the popup video nor anywhere else on their Youtube page regarding compensation by manufacturers or advertisers. Reputable content creators disclose and vice versa.

Personally, I’m unfamiliar with Coachman products, I’ve seen a few Forest River units, and I’ve become pretty familiar with Aliner (Columbia Northwest). Consequently, it leaves me wondering whether Coachman deserves the #1 ranking or whether they paid to “win” the spot. One of the dark sides to this issue is "reputable" manufacturers will contract with "quasi-reputable" marketing companies, who in turn contract with "less than reputable" content creators to make videos promoting their products. The "reputable" company's hands are "clean" if the FTC complains. Actually, the FTC is getting wise to this maneuver.

I also have to assume this lack of disclosure is on purpose. I believe “Top 10”, and other companies like them, are behaving unethically by failing to disclosure whether or not they receive compensation. Companies that disclose are obviously more credible. Those that do not are seeking to take advantage of those who are easily swayed and manipulated. This is a great example of why you should never blindly trust anything you read/see on the internet.

This is one of the biggest reason I like this portal - it's populated by real people with opinions and experience.

See also: Rules for Online Advertising and Marketing (FTC)
    https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/bus...nd-marketing/online-advertising-and-marketing

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    generok likes this.
  6. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

The price of these really makes me thankful I bought used! My Viking is the first popup camper I have ever owned. So I don't know anything about the other brands. I have heard that you will have trouble with almost all of the new first owner campers. Especially with Jayco. That is just what I've heard. My Viking is a 2003 model 1906. I am the third owner as far as I know. And frankly it doesn't look like any of the previous owners ever used it. It is still looking like new. I have owned it for just over 13 months now, and I have yet to make any repairs to it. That is other than a corroded fuse holder at the battery. On the other hand, my cousin bought a 2005 Coleman something or other that the previous owner said was in great shape. He has owned it for about 4 months now and so far he has had to repair the whiffletree lift system, replace the 3-way Fridge, patch a hole in the fresh water tank, re-stitch the awning, replace the water damaged wood in the back frame area, repair water damage and reseal the front cargo box, and replace some of the water lines under the sink area. Suffice is to say that he was an impulsive first time popup camper buyer. It was the first one that he looked at. He is not a happy camper! Some of the problems were design issues and some of the problems were just plain neglect.