Top 10 Reasons Why My Coleman Sun Valley is the Best Camper on the Planet!

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by sk91709, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    Wow, you really nailed it on the head. This should be a lesson for anyone considering purchasing a popup.

I was in a similar situation. My wife and I had tent camped for several years. She grew up camping, I only discovered it in college. My older brother bought a mint Jayco 806 in the mid 90's. We had camped together many times before he bought it, and many times after. As I'm sure you can all understand, I was instantly hooked! My wife wasn't so convinced. She still felt that camping meant in a tent on the ground (despite my best efforts to "modernize" our tent camping). A few years ago, I decided that I must have a popup to serve my camping needs. I had learned several things from camping with my brother. First and foremost was that I wanted to be able to sleep 4 adults (singly) and have at least one bunk that could be reached without climbing over another. The gaucho served that purpose. I wanted a 3 way fridge that could be accessed while the camper was folded. I also wanted A/C if I could find it.

I searched for quite a while. Either I couldn't find a camper that met all of my needs, or it was too far away or too expensive. But I persisted. I wound up buying mine in February. Not exactly the hot time for camper sales. It was on eBay for around $700. When I googled the model, I found that the seller was a local RV dealer that had it listed on his website for $3000. That was about right for that model at the time. I knew it was the same seller because the pictures were exactly the same in both listings. I took a chance and waited for the end of the auction. The camper seemed to be in decent shape, and it was well within my budget. On the last day of the auction the bids still hadn't topped $1500 (it was February, after all). I waited until about 20 seconds left in the auction and I bid $2100. His reserve was $1750, so that is what it went to, and that is what I got it for.

I'm sure that I could have had many great camping seasons in it, but the mod bug soon bit me. As anyone who has followed this forum for any time knows, my camper is anything but original.

I agree that if you can find a camper that fits your lifestyle (floorplan), and your budget, then go for it. The later mods are just icing on the cake.

2. 14erfam

14erfam Member

We love our little pup too. I wasn't convinced after years of happy tent camping that a pup was necessary. However, after tent camping for 10 days in Yellowstone with our 3 year old girl, of whom was caked daily in mud pies, dirt, and fish guts, we decided a change was needed. We needed a way to get her high and dry (and clean) at the end of the day.

So we actually got the pup with kids in mind. Part of the camping experience for kids is playing in the dirt, handling the fish, climbing the mountain, scraping the knees, and grabbing that gooey smore with both hands and letting it stick to your face.

As you can see instant hot water, and a warm bed has been a miracle for us. So the pup has given me my tent camping, while making things easier on me as a dad.

3. Full Circle

Full Circle Greely, Ontario, Canada

TWO KING SIZE BEDS!!!!!!!!! My dd woul get lost on one of those... [LOL]
    Perfect list, Only thing i'm missing is #6!
    Ad

4. sk91709

sk91709 Chino Hills, CA

Too right. I'd add that it's made camping much more enjoyable for my leans-toward-neat-freak DW. As I said earlier, she's been a trooper with tent camping, but is much happier when she can get herself and the kids out of the dirt, at least at bed time.

Any pile of dirt or sand is a playground to my kids too. And, they're still working out the marshmallow to mouth coordination. Having the outside shower to hose them off before bed, and a clean sink to wash their hands and brush their teeth is awesome. We also have a small porta potti for those late night calls to nature.

PUP camping beats tromping through the CG (getting dirty again before getting back to camp), using nasty coin-op showers, or bathrooms that make you feel dirtier coming out than when you went in.

Once again, I'm lovin' all the comments and sharing of the PUP experience. Thanks to all!

5. cheyo

cheyo New Member

Scott,

1. Great post, I agree with everything.

2. Either I haven't been paying close attention or, I haven't been paying close attention....I see you're in SOCAL, I haven't seen many other posters from here. We're in Northern OC along the beach....we're also new to the PuP world. Have you had a difficult time trying to find places to camp that you haven't had to book 6 months in advance?

3. Again, great post!

6. sk91709

sk91709 Chino Hills, CA

Thanks for the comments.

There are a few of us on the forum. Here's another post looking for SoCal people: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=28098.0

In my experience, any place near the beach requires you to be on ReserveAmerica 10 minutes before they open on the day the site opens for reservations. And then click like crazy. A lot of the beach sites book up in 15 minutes.

We have been to McGrath State Beach in Oxnard with a group. I'm not sure how quick they book up, since the site was through the group reservation. We also go up to Dogwood near Lake Arrowhead. It's pretty nice, and close to the village. We've also been out to Joshua Tree, which is nice, but gotta go when it's not too hot. Also, Yucaipa Regional Park was not bad, and is probably not too high demand.

We're camping in Pismo Beach in August. I got the reservation in April, I think. It was booked for the weekends, but I was able to book a Sunday-Thursday slot with hook-ups. It's a long drive, but I have family up there, so it's worth the drive.

You should share some sites on that other thread too. I'm always looking to hear about new places to go.

Maybe we'll see you out there some time! Good luck...

7. newfieboy

newfieboy New Member

Great post, I have to agree we own a 98 Sun Ridge so we are also a little biased.

8. Csea

Csea New Member

I disagree on that one. My Bonair BA850 for example.... I am starting to hate it. Everytime I go to do one thing i find something else to fix. There probably enough room for 1 person to stand. The stabelizers .... im not even going to go there. Still no Canvas (ordering this winter) Lack of storage (the cupboard space is kinda dumb) so now I have to think of new storage options. Im here cause I love camping. So anyone interested in fixing up my camper for me? [:D]

9. Skerhive

Skerhive Colorado

I'll second that--especially numbers 7 and 1. When its raining, one table for the kids, one for us.
    Or when we're baseball camping, enough room for the team and for me--but only for like...a rainstorm. Then its time for them to get out and run off some stink.

10. binky

binky New Member

Sorry you don't care for yours. Mine is an eyesore with holes in the corners. But it serves our family well. We throw some tarps on the end....mainly to keep sunlight out for the little one, but also to keep rain out because of the holes. Our family still loves it on every trip we do. I got rid of all the fold down stuff (sink, stove, fridge ) and prefer the extra storage space.

11. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    For me, it get's frustrating when I don't have something to tinker with. I get myself into trouble looking for new projects. Embrace your camper for what it is. If you don't like something, then change it.

12. The Postman

The Postman You gotta love Camping!!

My wife and I went tent camping on the long weekend in September two years ago and that was enough. There was no way we could stand sleeping on the ground and in the cold one more time - and so the quest was born to acquire what we called a tent trailer at that time.

Two years later we are the proud owners of our little Starcraft, and we love everything about it. I don't consider it a labor of anything but love to repair, modify, and upgrade. If we ever upgrade - and we probably will - we will be able to pass on our baby to someone who will enjoy it just as much as we do.

13. kiteri

kiteri Just a Happy Girl!

SOLD!!!! I can't say it is the only reason I bought my Sun Valley... but it sure helped!

14. bearnbrie

bearnbrie Member

Just bought a 2003 Sun Valley today and also found this site today.
    Have a 1982 Shasta I've owned for 10 yrs., now It's time to sell her and enjoy the Sun Valley, it has so much more than the old one had. Just thought I'd say hi. Oh, were planning a trip to Co., Wy.,Ca., next summer so any advice would be appreciated. We live in Texas and have never been out west. Thanks and see you'll later.
    Bearnbrie
    [PU] :)

[PU]

15. terryp101

terryp101 New Member

Really enjoyed your post! Funny thing with us...the friends that encouraged us to get a camper both have bigger units. They have both said they wish they had pups again, much easier traveling, better mpgs.