Torn between a "regular" POp up and an A-Frame

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Grakken, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Im not sure on the warranty thing but using a craigslist search engine like http://www.searchtempest.com/ can help by searching all the craigslists in a given distance. Location and time of year are big factors in price.

or the free BlueBook of sorts for RVs is NADA Guides. Heres a link to pups on the site.

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/Camping-Trailers

2. CentralNH

CentralNH New Member

I guess for just 2 day weekend [ALPU] would be ok but we have had our [PU] for 25 years and love it we leave it up at home and the grand kids love to play in it and we enjoy playing cards at night after work and when its too hot in the house. We have been every where and never needed AC open the camper up and enjoy the breeze

3. natty bumppo

natty bumppo 2009 F-150,1998 Coleman Westlake

Not an A-frame, wife and I bought a used TT 21'. This is great for two people as our kids are no longer kids and have better things to do than go camping. This coming weekend we're going camping with our niece her husband and two young boys. You bet we're taking our Coleman Westlake so everyone will have plenty of room for sleeping or riding out bad weather. Hard to beat a Popup for extra room unless you want to tow a 7-10000 lb behemoth.

4. Grakken

Grakken Member

Hello All,

Still looking but getting close to buying I think.

Have a couple more ?'s.

When they list the specs (2514G- Rockwood)
    Exterior Closed Length 17'1". Does this length include the entire trailer (and hitch area) or is that just for the "box and front storage"?
    Do you need a 30 amp outlet to run 13.5K AC unit? I don't have 30 amp at the house, so does that mean camp driveway would be without AC or is there a converter?

On a side note- The DW and I went to some local campgrounds today to scope out some potential spots. Can't wait to do this at the beach! [:D]

5. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

A/C is 20 amps. At home, choose an outlet served by a 20 amp circuit breaker.

6. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

My guess by looking at a 2514 sales pic at rvtrader.com, 17'1" includes the hitch.
    [​IMG]

7. CentralNH

CentralNH New Member

I believe the 14 in 2514 is the length of the body of camper so the hitch is another 3 ft or so.

8. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

Grakken wrote:
    "I think we are going to go with a PUP. If it were just the DW and I, would have already bought the Aframe. I want my DD to be able to bring a friend or 2"

IMHO, this is it in a nutshell. As a family of 5, a Niagara was great for us. Kids could bring friends, plenty of room. Now that the kids are almost out of the house and don't have much time for camping, plus setting up the Niagara was getting to be too much for me when I camp by myself, we sold it and bought an Aliner Ease.

We had a blast with the Niagara. I know my kids and their friends still talk about the fun they had while camping. And we had a better time knowing they were happy. It surprised me that when our middle son, who was working the night we sold the trailer, came home and pulled the car in the camper-less garage and came rushing in - he was all bummed that he didn't get to see the Niagara one last time! And this from a 17 year old kid. . . .

My advice is to buy the biggest pop-up you can handle (set up, tow vehicle, towing, storage - if you are restricted to store in your garage take careful measurements of the length, width and height including all options like A/C). I know you indicated you do not want a bathroom in the camper. There is another thread on this site discussing that option that you may want to read. I personally would not buy a camper without one.

Good luck and have fun.

9. Grakken

Grakken Member

Hi 3BB,

Can you link the thread please? I searched bathroom and a bazillion threads came up.

10. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Sometimes, If you check the box to "search titles only", before you search, you get some very specific and relevant threads to read.

11. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

The thread used the term "shower" instead of "bathroom". Probably why you couldn't find it! Hope this works:

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=97501.msg987571#msg987571

If not, search the thread titled "Who uses trailer showers over the campground facilities?"

12. Grakken

Grakken Member

Very helpful, thank you! The one we are looking at has an outdoor shower and a portapotty. I'm sure I will macguyver some kind of decent setup for days when there is no bathhouse or out in the boonies.

13. 61cubby

61cubby New Member

Hello from MN! We spend a couple of weeks each year in SD and love it. Don't think moisture would be a problem out there as rainfall and humidity are low so you would not be drying the 2514g out much. The space in that thing is amazing! We have one and camp with 2 Siberian Huskies and it does not pose a problem. You would like the king size bunk. If you should have another child, you can always sleep in the rear queen and separate the king using a blanket draped over the center pole and create 2 bedrooms for the kids. Set up and take down is at most 30 minutes once you have done it a couple of times. There is an order for each and once you understand it, it goes easily. For me, it usually takes longer to back it into place at the campsite (not my forte!). IMO the hard walls of the A-frame gives a false sense of security, if someone wants to get in they are going to do it. You will also really like all the windows and and screens which will let you enjoy the cool ocean breezes in the evening. A/C should run you about $1100 installed and it does a very good job of cooling the coach here in MN this month when the heat is 90 and dew point in the 70's. Other than super fast set up, the A doesn't stack up. [PU] [:D]

14. Grakken

Grakken Member

Nice! yeah we will be going with the 2514G. We realized we need the space. :)

I'm hoping to do the paperwork this week!

Ive been doing research on CG's within a 2-3 hour drive from us...All hookup sites are basically booked out lol, but that's okay. I can test the AC and whatnot at home.

How long do the batteries last? I know that answer can depend but all we would be powering really is my cpap at night (Which i'm sure drains the battery quick, and a light or 2 plus the Fantastic fan? Am I not accounting for something i'm sure?

15. ~erik~

~erik~ Active Member

Well...... first of all, unless you order it differently, there won't be batteries. There will be one, small, group 24 battery with limited capacity.

Suggest you read the fixed topics and discussion threads under the "Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar" section of these forums.

16. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

As for the false sense of security in an a - frame, you could have a false sense of security in your own home. If someone wants to get in, they can. I didn't get the A-Liner because it is more secure. I got it because it was easier to put up. Period.

17. hiker74

hiker74 Member

18. Grakken

Grakken Member

Hello Everyone,

We ended up going with the 2514G. Just got done signing the paperwork. We are having A/C added and hope to pick it up in about a week or so. So stoked to be getting this thing. At 19'1 closed up, I have 11 inches to spare in my front driveway. The brochure stated 17"1 but that must be without the hitch. Why they don't post the actual dang length is kind of annoying. :) Thank you all who offered opinions and help with our search. I will post pics of the first trip soon! [CP]

19. Mels happy campers

Mels happy campers New Member

Just went through the transition to PUP this spring. The selection out here is poor, so we went with a new Somerset. A-frames are great for 2. But we have two teens and needed the space. (teens need a lot more space, especially on rainy days) Plus they each have room to bring a friend. After years of tent camping, we never thought we'd use the toilet, hot water heater or furnace. But we love them now!

Paid the extra $$ for the power roof system and it's worth every penny. We set up the entire camp site in less than an hour. We always open it up when we get home, and it takes 15 minutes. But I like to clean it, wash dishes in the home dishwasher, wash the linens,etc.

There's some shaking when the kids are jumping around, but it's never kept anyone awake. Of the A-Frames we looked in, the shaking was the same. Good Luck!

20. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

We went back and forth on this issue, too. The bottom line for us was floor plan, space, and openness/ambiance. If we did an A Frame it would be a big unit with dormers, like the Aliner Expedition 14' box. The A's definitely are more convenient for set up and take down. I have grown to hate popping up and down in the rain. We bought a high wall model so we feel pretty well insulated from the ground and elements, in the box at least.

If it's just 2 people, the A's are worthy of consideration. We do not have kids. We would not have considered one if we did; unless they were outside in a tent. Hey, that's a good idea! [:D]

Have you looked into small light weight hybrids?