Total Conversion Project - 1998 Coleman Sea Pine

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by arkangel, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Stardust_8

Stardust_8 New Member

Looks great!

2. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

How much do you want for it when your complete?

3. arkangel

arkangel Member

I used the same construction materials that I have witnessed in use currently in the RV industry for trim and finishing. All of the materials I was not able to salvage or fabricate were ordered from the parts department of the Keystone RV company. Keystone RV is well known for their Outback, Cougar, Montana, and Raptor lines. The company I work for is a Keystone RV dealership and I happen to run the parts counter. This gives me convenient access to all the same construction materials as the manufacturers.

Here is the corner molding used on each corner and also on the doorway. It has predrilled screw holes recessed into a channel designed to accept a vinyl screw cover trim.

[​IMG]

This is the bottom leading edge of the drivers sidewall. The same trim mentioned above with screw cover installed. I left the bottom edge open on purpose so I could terminate the entire lower edge using the same piece

[​IMG]

The upper portion of the same piece is pictured here. In order to follow the curve of the front radius corner I cut triangular notches in the flat side of the edge molding every inch for six inches. I screwed the molding on from the bottom up, then used a rubber mallet to bend it over the radius as I anchored it one screw at a time.

[​IMG]

4. arkangel

arkangel Member

Here is the outer edge of the corner molding. Once laid over the corner where I previously hammered the siding flat, it takes on an attractive fit and finish. Many companies do not put silicone sealant into the gaps in between the molding and the siding but I chose to do so. What's another hour of time and another tube of silicone?

[​IMG]

On a side note thanks again to everyone who is watching this thread, all you guys who have posted positive feedback, and all those who have questions. Keep them coming! I hope you are appreciating what I'm doing. By the way Jayko I am seriously considering doing this as a hobby and maybe segueing into a business. If you have a pop up you would like me to convert for you I would gladly entertain the idea of doing the conversion on a contract basis.

5. Hanne

Hanne New Member

This is fantastic! Not only is the construction fantastic, but this thread's a great motivator! Whenever DH complains about some minor repair, I can say, "Hey, ... at least we're not doing a Sea Pine conversion!" [}:)] [:D]

6. arkangel

arkangel Member

There's a lot to see here.

[​IMG]

1. You can just see the notches I cut in the corner molding in order to bend it properly without buckling. I basically just smeared a big flat bead of silicone across the entire area.

2. The EPDM rubber roofing is stretched over the radius and stapled down along a straight line. This line is also the upper edge of the siding. The molding is screwed down directly over this line effectively anchoring and waterproofing the seam at the same time. The edge of the molding is sealed with a neat bead of silicone.

3. The J-molding differs from the corner molding as it is installed on a flat surface, usually to cover the seam between the siding and the roofing. It has a channel to divert rainwater to the ends, preventing it from from gathering on the lower edge and being drawn in by surface tension. It is also predrilled and accepts screw cover insert trim.

4. The J-molding down the side is lacking the screw cover insert trim. The corner molding and the leading rain gutter have the trim installed.

[​IMG]

7. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Thanks for the good pics of the trim details.

8. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

WOW , just found this thread .

9. Tonimus

Tonimus Member

Wow indeed. Excellent work and craftsmanship.

10. kpic

kpic New Member

Thanks for a great thread!

11. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

Have you weighed the unit yet? Just curious as to what it weighs. Great job on the buildup. Enjoy the camping.

12. hoosier_gal

hoosier_gal New Member

What a great job-it really looks awesome. We've got one we've been. considering modifying so it was great to find this thread. We can't wait until you take her on her maiden voyage!

13. arkangel

arkangel Member

Back in the fray once again after a bit of a hiatus due to rural internet issues. I hope I haven't lost my audience, but there is still a long way to go down the path of total conversion. I am still in the process of catching up to the present but I am almost out of old photos. Soon you will all be on the same page with me, as we have only a few more steps before the outer structure of the camper is ready for full time exposure to the elements. After that there will still be a lot of work to do on the interior, but the basic structural transformation will be complete. Here are a few more photos of the corner trim and seal work on the roof to get us started:

This is a good example of how the vinyl insert trim really helps make the aluminum trim seem less conspicuous. The corner trim has the insert installed whereas the J-trim has not been finished out yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very nice view of the front radius and the rubber roof wrap. It worked out about as good as I could have hoped.

[​IMG]

14. arkangel

arkangel Member

Here is the trimwork at the rear corner. This was much easier as it was an easy 90 degree bend. I shaved off the roof decking at a slight angle so it would be an easier bend. Then it only took one V-shaped notch in the leg of the trim to get it to bend.

[​IMG]

jillsproblem likes this.
  15. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Subscribed! What a cool transformation. When do you expect to camp in it?

16. arkangel

arkangel Member

I need to get my act together, because we were hoping to be able to take it to the Kansas City Renaissance Festival one of the weekends in September for a trial run. I need to get the structural stuff done ASAP and then there is still the largely unfinished interior... I'm planning on a work night tonight so hopefully I can get a few things done.

Here's a closeup of the rear corner. Corner trim has the insert installed, J-trim doesn't. I am glad I used the rain gutter spouts but I may still swap them out for the longer versions.

[​IMG]

I used Dicor Self-Leveling Lap Sealant for the edges overlapping the rubber roofing. This stuff is very tacky and messy so it's kind of an art to get it to look neat and tidy. I'm fairly happy with how it turned out. It also didn't require much.

[​IMG]

17. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

Wow, can not wait to see the inside!

18. arkangel

arkangel Member

Here are some shots of the door side which I haven't photographed much during this whole process, partially due to the obviously poor lighting on that side of the current shop. The original folding step hatch will remain as the only way to lock the front door.

[​IMG]

I am currently trying to figure out how to tackle the potential for water leakage around the door, which is lightweight and obviously not built to withstand the extremes of highway travel during inclement weather. I may be restricted to towing it in fair weather only for the time being.

[​IMG]

Again I would have loved to incorporate more windows into the camper but it just wasn't in the cards. I'm glad to have the one I do because it also serves as an emergency exit.

[​IMG]

Our tentative plan is to use the lack of natural light in the interior to go with a space theme. Dark paint on the walls with airbrushed stars and planets, and ambient LED lighting. That's the going scheme anyway.

19. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

It is looking great... From where you started till now ..... WOW awesome job!!!! [:D]

20. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Man is it looking nice.