Total Conversion Project - 1998 Coleman Sea Pine

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by arkangel, Jun 19, 2013.

1. JNevill325

JNevill325 New Member

That it is just flat impressive.

2. gbodnar

gbodnar New Member

Way cool - like everyone says - its like a novel in a series. & your waiting for the next novel - great job! Looks very profesional!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I may have missed it, as I was just scrolling through looking at the pics ... ballpark figure, including the original pup purchase price, supplies/parts etc and giving yourself at least $20 per hour how much do you figure this project has cost .. Just a ballpark figure ... ??

4. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Any updates?

I still enjoy looking at the pictures!

5. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Why keep the lower part of the popup. I question the strength of the lower section. Seems like a poor choice from the beginning. I think it will collapse if you try to tow.

6. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

I don't wan't to sound like a heckler, but I wondered the same thing which would be a shame considering all the hard work on the top half

7. Ktamsor2

Ktamsor2 That which doesn't kill me..........should run.

I found a copy of one of your first pictures on Pinterest and decided to try doing mine in a similar way. However my bedroom sections are going to fold away, and the roof for each one will fold down to become a door over them. I know it's going to take a lot of work, but I'm retired and can do the work. I'll try to post pictures on my own thread. Right now it's under http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=87290.15. Mine won't have as an expensive exterior as yours, but I'm hoping it will still be weather proof and nice looking. Thank you for the great idea!!!

8. Ktamsor2

Makes me wonder if I should strip the whole thing and start over. Hmmmm.......

9. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

It would be a bit more custom if you started with a bare trailer, and you know it would be sturdy when done right!

10. 1380ken

You should try to find some plans on the web. Building a camper is more than just framing a box out of 2-4s.

11. Ktamsor2

Definitely far more than that!

12. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

I would at least investigate to be sure that the lower structure is substantial enough... And modify it from there if need be

13. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I'm sorry but where did you get the knowledge to make such a statement? Have you actually seen how RVs, TTs and others are built? Are you applying knowledge from an engineering or building background? It amazes me at how little structure there is keeping a Class C from collapsing in on itself, or any RV for that matter. Most everything is framed with 2x2s with staples or lightweight timber joint plates, not 2x4 so stepping UP the construction as shown here is an improvement, not a detractor.

There's no plans on the web for something like this. There are people sharing how they built their own RVs or campers. And just because there aren't plans doesn't mean it is a waste or futile effort. Why not let someone with a unique or original thought the latitude to innovate?

And while your comments might have been intended as constructive criticism, it sure doesn't play out that way. They sound rather condescending. I don't know nor care what your motivation is but please add something constructive or please just pass on adding further comments.

14. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Well put, Bondo!

Yo Camping Evangelist likes this.
  15. 1380ken

Yes I am an engineer and you have no clue . Building furniture isn't just nailing wood together. Building a camper is more than just framing walls. There are many plans for building campers properly on the web, all kinds of campers. Should I just keep quiet when someone is doing something ridiculously wrong and probably dangerous. You could build a rocket ship with 2-4s. I wouldn't want to be driving behind a crazy homemade camper on the highway and have it fall apart.

16. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

I'm disappointed to see that this thread has gone this way. OP, while perhaps a different thought process than most, has done a lot of great work here, and i'd bet as bondebond mentioned, it is built better now than it ever was. It is scary what holds these campers together, and don't for a second assume that normal and logical engineering plans are put into these campers, because they aren't.

If some of these factories could get away with using ducttape to hold seams together, they would.. A 2x4 in a factory is not even a stocked item for most of the HTTs, TTs, or Popups, because it's double the strength of what they use.

OP, keep up the good work. I agree that being sure the bottom half is reinforced is an important thing as well.

IDezine likes this.
  17. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

THIS!^ Absolutely!

Nothing in an RV or camper is built to last longer than 10 years. That's the plain truth right there. The manufacturers use as few staples, screws, as little glue and caulking as possible and without any intervention, over time they literally fall apart.

The OP may not be an Engineer and the choices he's made in design, materials and assembly may differ from those 1380Ken would have made but I very much doubt that anything the OP has done in this project is less secure or less strong than the manufacturers have or would have done to achieve the same result.

As KMH pointed out, these campers are assembled using 1-1/2" x 1" (actual dimensions) wood to frame almost everything and millions of drivers follow these campers down the highway every day.

18. PhillyTitan

PhillyTitan New Member

If Arcangel would give us an update (nudge, nudge) we wouldn't be bickering. [:D]
    I've seen plenty of people in the ice fishing forums build travel trailer (they call them ice-shanties) on top of pop up trailers. None of them have been reinforced like this one, and none of them have mentioned them falling apart on the highway.

Here's a couple of appetizers, while we're waiting on the OP to update.

http://www.icefishingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8230
    http://www.doityourselfrv.com/diy-camper-trailer-budget/
    http://www.lake-link.com/forums/Ice-Fishing/discuss.cfm/93748/converting-camper-to-shanty
    http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=56270

19. 1380ken

I wasn't really replying to the op. It was towards Ktamsor2 , who is thinking of copying the same type of design. You are saying how weak the campers are constructed yet the popup is the foundation of the new camper. He would be much better off starting from just the frame and floor.
    I believe that the camper companies have some experience and skill involved in their designs. The types of materials used, the joints, the structure. I am sure some thought went into the process. I could be wrong, there could be zero skill involved in designing and building a camper.
    Why not just attach some wheels to a garden shed.

20. PhillyTitan

PhillyTitan New Member

The camper will stay in one piece because the idea is not a new one. The links I provided show that people have tried this before. Once the pieces are all in place the structure holds itself together in spite of independently flimsy parts.
    The tow weight and extra stress on the axle and tires, is more of an area to draw concern.