Totally Frustrated About Tow Vehicles!

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by kmdegs, May 12, 2009.

1. Gillster

Gillster New Member

We have a 97 Coleman Cheyenne and tow it with an 04 Suzuki XL7. Body on frame construction, rear wheel drive, seats 7 and gets about 18mpg with the trailer and bikes on the back. The engine is a small v6 but has a power button to change tranny shift points so it runs great with the trailer back there. Rated to tow 3,000lbs.

Chris

2. dcj070454

dcj070454 New Member

Always remember, towing with a TV that is border line will cause problems, problems that can become legal issues. If in a situation where you have to break fast and your brakes fail that can be considered your fault. Your tranny will over heat and you can get stranded, that will cost you a few bucks and most likely void any warranty you have. You gonna pull it, get a TV that is up to the job.

3. AZemptynesters

AZemptynesters Member

We tow our 09 Niagara with a 1994 Land Cruiser that we purchased three years ago used. It's not the best on gas, but it's a heavy vehicle, has plenty of room, and the PUP can't push it around. It has 3 rows of seats (3rd row is removable) and 4:10 gear ratios. You can probably get one in the year range of ours for around the $5,000-7,000 price range. You don't have to worry about buying high mileage Toyotas because that's what they're known for.

Dan

4. dcj070454

dcj070454 New Member

Everyone seems like they want to push the envelope, does common sense even matter anymore?

5. Luv2ridebikes

Luv2ridebikes New Member

A lot of folks decide to buy a pop up because their existing vehicle can tow one. Our first pop up was a little 8' box that weighed about 1,000 pounds loaded and we towed with Dodge minivan with a tow package. We were also fortunate because we dealt with an RV dealer that was honest about tow capacity. We upgraded to a Ford Aerostar (RWD, frame, heavier duty) before we moved to a bigger pop up based on the advice we received the first time. It was years later when we got back into it that I really took the time to understand limits and capacities.

IMHO - auto makers confuse the issue since they are quick to provide towing capacity, but don't explain the gross combined weight rating and other issues like tongue load and axle load unless you dig out the fine print. And too many RV dealers will tell you that sub compact car can tow a fully equipped high wall pop up (or bigger!) if it means a sale.

That's why sites like this are so valuable and I really respect people that ask questions. Unfortunately, safe towing and great fuel economy don't mix well - unless you have some really big bucks to spend.

Towing at or over your rated towing capacity is going to stress your tow vehicle and shorten it's life. And it will not respond well in an emergency situation. Your first question should always be - how SAFE is this combination? Not - Can I get by with this?

6. AJP

AJP I've gone to the dark side

I love our Trailblazer for towing. Mine is the limited, so loaded to the gills, bought it 1.5 years ago it is a 2004 and had 32,000 miles, paid 13,500 for it. Shop around I am sure you can get one base model for around 5-6000 with 70,000 or so miles.

7. aerohead34

aerohead34 New Member

We came across a 2003 Ford E150 extended length van with the traveler package three years ago. It came with Ford's 4.6L V8. It is overkill for our pop up but we get around 18 mpg towing with it. It gets almost 20 mpg without on long hauls. It came with the tow package. It can tow up to 6600 lbs but I wouldnt tow more than 4500-5000 with the little V8. Ford's 5.3L V8 tows better but gets a couple MPG less.

8. sd102

sd102 New Member

Most SUV's offer third rows of seats as options. That sounds like that would be your best bet. Check out Explorers, Trailer Blazers, etc. We are very happy with our Ford Explorer w/ towing package and we have a pretty heavy pup.

9. Liscoe7

Liscoe7 New Member

most tow packages are only a trailer hitch and wiring and a trans cooler so you can take it to your car guy and he can add that stuff alot cheeper then the dealer can

10. rmassing

rmassing New Member

We finally upgraded from a 1996 Mercury Villager w/ a 3.0 engine to a 2002 Ford Expedition light duty xlt w/ a 4.6 liter engine. I am not sure what size differential I have, but I love how it pulls a lot better. Now we are really making plans to go to the mountains. And yes I have added an axle with brakes and wired up for 7 pin.

All these changes took one good Saturday. In the morning I swapped out the axle, and then after lunch I worked on the TV wiring. So you see it is not all that hard to do if you upgrade your TV.