Tough Options Question + Poll

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Ryanincc, Jan 2, 2014.

Which would you choose from the scenario? Please post why if able.

This poll will close on Dec 31, 2023 at 9:22 AM.
  1. 2011 Jayco

28.2%
  2. 2011 Coleman

56.4%
  3. neither

15.4%
  1. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Ive got a peculiar situation, but Ill try to be short.

I'm a first time buyer with a family of four ( 5yo and 8mo kids). We will mostly be weekend campers. I would like to keep the pup for a as long as possible, so it needs growing room. I have a peculiar situation with a 5th wheel trade in that was given to us by my in laws to get a pop up. The NADA values for the campers are accurate, and the pups are in tip-top shape. They have different extras, but are equally like new.

Which option would you choose?

Option #1
    2011 Jayco Jay Series 1006 ($8500 NADA value) from a dealer for an even swap with the 5th wheel. Its a little smaller than you THINK you would like, but love the front cargo box.

Option #2
    2011 Coleman Sun Valley ($10,000 NADA value) bigger size, LOVE the outdoor shower and kitchen "bump out", but will have to pay $1500 out of pocket. You have the money easily available.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Does one have a layout that might work better than the other? For example, does the one with the bump out have clearer floor space to and from the bunks? Will one be more adaptable to space usage as the kids grow?

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I vote Jayco, mainly because they are still in business. Both are good campers. Have owned both. Buy what fits you best, take your time, there must be more to chose from out there then just these two.

4. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

We have a '07 Sun Valley and my brother has a '05 1006. Both pups are good quality, but I tend to lean toward my Sun Valley as a little better quality but both will give you many years of good use.

We both have 3 kids and the storage is nice for bringing extra toys or games to play out side while more inside room is nice for rain days.

Don't under estimate that bump out, it is an awesome option that gives enough clearance to pass while some one is at the galley and an extra seat at the table for board games.

I like his front storage, but he like my more open plan. You have to decide on storage vs space.

For us, we would take the space again, and we are now down to being empty nesters.

5. kpic

kpic New Member

With little ones, I'd want a toilet and shower in the pup. We passed mosquito training. [;)]

6. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

I would go for the Coleman. Yes they are no longer making them but you can get parts for everything in them (stove, refer) but body parts. As far as lift parts looking on the internet you can find what you need both OEM and aftermarket. As a owner of a 1997 Westlake I like Coleman's.

7. Ryanincc

Using my future imagination, I THink I like the layout better on the Coleman and will grow with us better.

Thanks for the second pair of eyes observation. I love this place!

8. Ryanincc

My situation is rather complicated with the trade in and other numerous variables, too elaborate to explain here. Nonetheless, these aren't necessarily my only two options. Since Im new to this, Im getting a feel for two of my favorites and second opinions/pair of eyes.

What is the disadvantage to Coleman being out of business? Will it be harder to find parts/repairs further down the road?

9. Ryanincc

When you refer to storage space, are you saying the Jayco has more storage vs. the Coleman having less but more living space? Thanks

10. skiball

skiball New Member

I haven't read the other responces yet but I voted.
    I chose the Coleman. Not just because I have never owned a Jayco but because we love our Coleman Westlake. It won't be our last pup but we will be enjoing for years to come. That is unless a big problem arises with it. I hope not. If the company wouldn't have gone out of business, I'm quite sure that when the time would come for a new one, we would have gone with the Coleman again. That is not a choice now so, who knows what the future will bring.
    If I were you, I would get out a notebook, make 2 columes and list everything you know about each of them, Good and bad. Descide whitch one works best for you then buy that one.

11. Ryanincc

HAHA!!! [LOL]

Are the port-o-potties that bad?… vs. the cassette?

12. Ryanincc

Thanks for helping! I may have misunderstood what you wrote but are you saying that body parts are hard to come by with the Coleman's?

13. Ryanincc

Good Idea!! Thanks!

14. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

I'm confused by the question and scenarios. The scenarios are posed as if I were purchasing. In that case, I wouldn't purchase either. I had those options and, in fact, purchased neither ... I purchased what I purchased (in my sig).

If you're asking what you should purchase, then I still am not sure how to answer. I know very little about you, your wants, your needs, your camping style, etc. In general, I like the Colemans (apostrophe withheld) and Fleetwoods. I'd opt to drop a few years (2009-ish) and save some money.

Good luck.

15. Loraura

Loraura New Member

I'm lazy... can you post the floorplans for both options?

In general I seat clear of front storage bins unless they are completely separate from the main camper box. They have a propensity to leak if not very well maintained, and I know myself too well to know I won't check the seals on a monthly basis to make sure it won't start to leak.

16. rawlus

rawlus New Member

Have never used our outdoor shower.... So while it is a cool feature, I don't think we'd miss it if we didn't have it.

17. supton

supton New Member

I'm not sure I'd pay for an outdoor shower; I'm sure I'd use it once or twice, but I just don't see it as something I'd really use that much. Front storage box, hmm, with a pickup truck for TV I don't really "need" one, but it might work well for long term storage of camping gear--and it's pretty accessible with the camper closed up. Like camp chairs and the like which might get used occasionally while home. Hard call on that one.

My biggest issue would be settling for one. After owning a number of cars and now bicycles over the years, I've learned that's rare for the first new item in a hobby to be the "right one" and I'll never have to buy another. I've taken to buying with the anticipation of getting rid of the first one, once I "know" what I really want.

18. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I voted Coleman. I did a lot of research before purchasing my first PUP and the results convinced me that Coleman/Fleetwood is absolutely the best: fully boxed frame, metal supports for the box, best lift system, Sunbrella fabric and much, much more.

19. Ryanincc

The reason for the outdoor shower love is we will have trips to the beach. In south Texas, especially on the coast where it's always humid,is it's darn near impossible to get sand off of yourself without having a shower. Plus, it's hot, really really hot most of the year, and very windy. Sand gets everywhere. You sweat and it's just like rolling in the sand if you're anywhere near the beach.

A friend has one at her parked 5th near Mustang Island and says, with little ones especially, there a must have if you don't want sand over everything inside.

Even if you use a public shower, by the time you walk back to your pup, you're more than likely to have picked up some sand along the way.

Thanks for all the input so far from everyone!!

20. Ryanincc

Why would You not purchase either?