Tough Options Question + Poll

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Ryanincc, Jan 2, 2014.

Which would you choose from the scenario? Please post why if able.

This poll will close on Dec 31, 2023 at 9:22 AM.
  1. 2011 Jayco

28.2%
  2. 2011 Coleman

56.4%
  3. neither

15.4%
  1. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

I watched a youtube video that explained the construction and manufacture of Colemans (Thank you CamL48 :)) and really liked those features as well.

2. Ryanincc

Im not settling lol. The scenario is just that, a scenario. Some of it IS real life but my goal here is to just get some feedback on why or why not these two would be chosen over the other. In a nutshell, Im trying to gain the some of "the eye" of a seasoned popper, before ever even owning one. I appreciate your input very much! Thank you!

3. Ryanincc

Jayco (actual)

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/rvd/4240780855.html

4. Ryanincc

oops

Coleman http://www.rvguide.com/specs/coleman/expandable-trailer/2011/americana-le-series/sun-valley.html

Jayco (actual one) http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/rvd/4240780855.html

5. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Jayco... hands down.

Jayco has always stood behind their product (more than Coleman/Fleetwood/FTCA ever did). Jayco parts of still readily available. Jayco dealers still exist.

I love the storage box. You can always "rig" an outside shower if needed.
    The layout is our favorite in a popup (it's exactly like our camper, and same as a Utah).

6. Ryanincc

Why would you prefer the jayco layout? I liked the U couch on the coleman. Or at least I think I do. lol

7. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

Tuff call Ryanincc, They both have some good points. I like the pull out on the Coleman and the size is good. I like the Electric lift on the Jayco and the layout is good also. The front storage box scares me because I have seen and hear too many horry tales about them leaking and rotting out.

8. Ryanincc

It seems so simple to crank up the roof. What is special about the electric lift other than the obvious? It seems just another thing to break. Im really curious about this feature :)

9. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

It's just me...you see I'm OLD and have a bad back, so this would be a PLUS for me but not necessarily you.

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I have a good friend who has had serious problems with the rotator cuff in his shoulder. He's had surgery on it which helped somewhat. He had to get a PUP with a battery-operated roof lift because he couldn't crank it up.

11. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Because I'm not interested in a Jayco 1006 or a Coleman/Fleetwood Sun Valley, no matter how nice they might be. As I said, you can tell what I would purchase by looking in my sig file.

That's why the poll question/scenario confuses me -- if you're asking what I would buy based on my needs, then it's neither (neither meets my needs); if you're asking me what should the OP buy, then it's "I don't know" because I don't know enough about the OP to recommend one over the other.

In general, however, I prefer the Coleman/Fleetwood brand to Jayco.

Also, there was some discussion about the outside shower option. In my experience, that's not a stand-alone option. It was always a feature that came with hot water option ... I've never seen one without the other. My experience isn't necessarily comprehensive of all years, brands, and trim levels, though.

As to utility, hot water was a must-have for me. This past year, we camped 19 nights and didn't use the hot water once. The previous year, I did use the shower to hose off kids' feet once. Otherwise, this becomes a very personal choice based on you, your family, your camping habits, etc.

Good luck.

12. Ryanincc

Got it! Thanks :)

13. Ryanincc

Thanks for the elaboration. Much appreciated!

14. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Coleman campers use to b the standard until they had quality problems and got into a lawsuits with COLEMAN for failing to pay royalties, and the company failed.

Now you can not get parts, their last ten plus years they had quality problems. What a shame, but why do you want a non-supported camper. Many coleman owners will tell you the camper is great. But read the posts, there a lot that are not happy.

15. Bonniy

Bonniy arizona bred and born

I picked the coleman
    we have a coleman and would buy another one with no problem at all
    the sunvalley has the couch next to the bunk which can be converted to a bed, and has lots of room, I like the idea of a U shaped couch too and it has lots of more room, we also have an outdoor shower, we made a shower curtain to go around the shower, its made of tubing with 3 shower curtains sewn together, it is 4ft by 4ft, we love the outdoor shower and have used it several times

as for the Jayco, never had one, but the 1006 has the couch by the dining table, taking up much needed space, i'd prefer more space there, it looks smaller to, the box looks ok, but I'd perfer the coleman and go for that one

16. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Personally, I would pick the Jayco. When we started looking for a PUP, I was thinking Coleman, for the Coleman name, until I read on this post all of the problems that there were with roof leaks, front storage box leakage, etc. We ended up buying Jayco, because of the price (we were limited to an 8 footer) and availability. As it turns out, our dealer is reportedly sells the largest volumn of Jaycos, and they stand by what they sell and they are just genuinely nice people. At least to me, that's important in my book.

Someone we know (and have camped with) purchased a HTT at the same time that they bought their PUP. They bought a brand new Forest River, and on their first trip (which was a long out of state trip, their fridge didn't work. They took it back for a couple of repairs during their first season, and last year had to have a new axle put on.

Whereever we camp, we always have other Jayco owner's come up to us, many of which have purchased from our dealer. I have never heard anything negative about Jayco, and most people have moved up from PUP's and are on their 2nd or 3rd PUP.

For us, we will be buying a 32 ft trailer which will be placed on a permanent site up here in MN where we will live in the summer. We pretty confident that it will be a Jayco. We plan to keep the PUP, which we will use the rest of the year, as we live in the south.

17. shfd739

shfd739 Member

Sun Valley. I've had a Jayco Baja that was the same box as the 1006 and now a Coleman and hands down the Coleman is a better, more functional trailer. In this comparison it's also 2 feet longer. Big difference in space.

If It was me Id pass on both and hold out for something with a slide and indoor potti. The family will thank you down the road.

In this area paying anything over the low NADA value means you over paid. We almost bought a used pup from the dealer with the Jayco, actually made an offer on 2 trailers and you shouldn't have trouble getting under NADA low value with them. Pups aren't a hot item here. Summers are hot so travel trailers are more popular. Everyone has a truck it seems and can tow a bigger trailer.

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We chose our Coleman Cobalt, after the manufacturing closed. (there are a couple of long posts with the history of the manufacturer, holding company, etc.). Yes, there were some issues in some years, so knowing what you may encounter is good. However, when we were looking for a new pup a couple of years ago, the quality of the new-old-stock Cobalt was above anything in a comparable price and model.
    Many items are generic, or can have generic substitutions. After 2-1/2 seasons, we do not regret having chosen the Coleman.

19. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Shhh. Don't tell ebay and its 10+ pages of parts. Also, dont tell myriad other dealerships and fabricators offering everything from NOS parts to newly fabricated whiffle trees. But, sure, you can't get parts. [::)]

20. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

Yes they can be hard to come by. Stoves and such were 3rd party vendors that are still going strong.