Tough Options Question + Poll

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Ryanincc, Jan 2, 2014.

Which would you choose from the scenario? Please post why if able.

This poll will close on Dec 31, 2023 at 9:22 AM.
  1. 2011 Jayco

28.2%
  2. 2011 Coleman

56.4%
  3. neither

15.4%
  1. skiball

skiball New Member

I don't know about that... I had put the door/cover on the water heater up without latching it properlylast Summer on our Coleman Westlake. It was purely all my fault that it broke off along the road 13 miles from our destination. We know this because we found it that evening laying in the middle of the road. It seems that every car that drove by it, ran it over. It was all bent up. In Oct. when I took it to the dealer to have it professionally winterized, I asked how hard it would be to get a new one. It wasn't long that I had one in my hands. IMO, Body parts are not hard to come by for the Coleman Campers.

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

The fact that Coleman/Fleetwood is out of business wouldn't phase me a bit if I were in the market for another PUP. First, as others have said, the appliances (stove, fridge, furnace, water heater, etc.) are third party and still available. The same for axles, brakes, wheels, etc. Heck, you can get many things (like faucets, plastic plumbing and so on) at Lowe's or Home Depot. As for Coleman proprietary parts, there is a huge supply on ebay and from a few dealers like Beckley's in Maryland. Finally, someone who is handy can fabricate his/her own stuff, too. IMO Coleman/Fleetwood's superior design and features completely outweigh any lesser issues.

3. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

Out of those two choices you list, I would pick the Sun Valley. The extra interior room is nice for us with young children and having stuff right now. Although I don't like to spend a lot of time inside, my son is at that age where he has a 20 second attention span and can't sit outside by the fire so he wants to go inside a lot. Plus, you get stuck inside for a rainy day, and you will appreciate the space. I ended up getting the best of both worlds getting the front outside storage and the kitchen bump out with a dinette slide out. That makes a huge difference in room. You might even look at some of the Flagstaff/Rockwood pop ups. Their is a Jayco that I think it was the 1208 that has front storage, dinette slide out and an extra bump out.

4. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

When I said body parts I was talking about things like end and side panels (sheet metal). Yes with the internet you can find these things but it may be hard and take some time. When I needed a new top to replace the ABS one that was on my Westlake the dealer happened to have one with a few very small dents in it the he was stuck with so he mad me a deal. Things like access doors to hot water heaters and refrigerators are a 3rd party so they will be easy to come by. I would still buy a Coleman.