Tour of Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by RockyRoo, Oct 28, 2016.

1. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

So the father in law wants to do a tour of Pennsylvania, specifically including Hershey, Gettysburg, Philly and Lancaster. We are thinking of setting up base camp at French Creek SP and working from there. We are starting out From Toledo Ohio. For those of you familiar with the area, is this a good plan? A foolish plan? A nice park? Not a good option for a 35 foot 5er?

We each drive 45 minutes to an hour for work so drivng an hour or 2 in any direction to visit a destination is not a big deal for us.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  2. highside pup

highside pup Active Member

Hi Jay, Linda and I are heading that way sometime next summer also, I'll be interested to see the response. We do koa for Hershey but looking at philly and Gettysburg this time.

3. RockyRoo

Hey Skip! We are pretty excited about the trip but feeling out parks a little more beforehand with the bigger rig. Are we going to see you guys next year at Holly?

We hadn't really thought about the Koa's but that might be a good option as well since we are thinking about doing full hookups on this trip. 8 days in Custer last year ended up being about 3 days too long in the Roo between fill/dumps.

4. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

I grew up "just over the mountain" as is the phrase they use up there, from Hershey and there's a private site (inexpensive) campground up in "Lickdale" just about 15 min from Hershey and about twenty min south of Harrisburg which is just down 81 from there. You're also just off I-81 and so you can head up to Wilkes-Barrie, Scranton and the Poconos. If you jump on 22 you're not far from Allentown and 422 will take you deep into the heart of Lancaster. If you want to hit Philly jump on the Turnpike on the other side of Lebanon (yes there is such a thing as Lebanon Baloney).

KOA's are great but pricey and there are other sites up there that may offer less amenities but unless you plan on staying at the site and not venturing out I guess that's a good thing but with caves to see "Crystal Caverns" and the Pennsylvania Dutch country side as well as those small towns and restaurants that make the area special then finding a site that is inexpensive maybe the way to go.

We live in Jax, FL but the family estate is still in Tower City just within the Schuylkill County line. We make it up about once a year but haven't yet done it with the PUP.

Also if you want to see a PSU/OSU game there's a campsite (local) just outside Penn's Cave that is inexpensive.

Best of luck and have fun.

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

We stay at Mill Bridge Village Campground. Full hookups and a pull thru is $52 a night. It's located in Ronks, PA (Lancaster County). Site & Sound theater is close by as well. Not far from the Green Dragon market and Shady Maples buffet.

Just my 2 [2C]

6. cleight

cleight New Member

I'm from the area and can recommend Cedarlake campground in Dover,Pa. This particular campground is very nice and is within about a 30 minute drive from Gettysburg, Hershey, Lancaster, Hanover.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

7. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

French Creek is one of my favorite places to camp and it is somewhat central to were you want to visit.

8. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

I will second French Creek state park, It is A really nice campground, and close to the things you are visiting.

Mill Bridge is also a nice private campground, right in the middle of Amish country.

9. RockyRoo

Well, we finally have our reservations! Stopping at Kooser SP on our way out for a night, 8 nights at French Creek, and then a night at Laurel Hill SP on the way home. We probably need to start looking and planning a lot more seriously about things that we are going to do while out there. If anyone has any tips and ideas as to how to tackle the area we are all ears. We have 8 days at French Creek with at least 2, maybe 3 down days for rest. Would love to hear your ideas. And I know we've been pretty MIA around the Portal over the last year or 2 but if anyone wants to try to arrange a get together while we are out in the area we'd love to meet up as well.

bob barnes likes this.
  10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

Can't help you with the other areas but Gettysburg has quite a bit of stuff to see and do. First place to go is stop by the Gettysburg museum and visitor center. Also look into taking the auto tour. It is a self guided tour that covers a lot of the important spots on the battlefield. When I took the tour a long time ago I bought a CD which was my tour guide. Though they probably do things a little differently now.

Lloyd B and bob barnes like this.
  11. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

What nights will you be at kooser and laurel hill? Close enough for me to stop by and say hello at least

12. RockyRoo

John, we will be at Kooser Oct 5th and we will be meeting up with the Geezer on the 14th at Laurel Hill. The 14th is a Saturday if that is easier.

13. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Gettysburg has to be one of the most solemn places I have every been!!

Lloyd B likes this.
  14. RockyRoo

Well, here we are, final preps being made. Fridge is cooling, heading out to give her a bath and get her pretty for the trip, and to open her up to start packing.

We pull out Thursday and are heading to Kooser SP. Friday we leave there and head to the Flight 93 memorial, then on to Leaser Lake to check out the lake and try to find an old family burial plot, then head down to French Creek for the next 9 nights.

bob barnes likes this.
  15. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Sounds like a nice Autumn trip. Have a great time.

16. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

Have a great trip -

17. bob barnes

wow fun!!

18. RockyRoo

And we're off!

Attached Files:

19. bob barnes

You wont believe the work and money being spent there, I guess there is no end to money!!

20. RockyRoo

At which location?