Tow bar tongue at the wrong height

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Carl Schwarz, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Carl Schwarz

Carl Schwarz New Member

I have a 1983 Jayco that weighs somewhere between 550kg to 750kg. I am towing with a vehicle that has a towbar tongue and not a hitch. I bought an extended towball to get the height up but the caravan is still not level, replaced the worn springs in the tow vehicle with hardened springs. It's close to level!
    Any ideas how to get some extra height? I would like to add a hitch and use an adjustable height receiver but I'm not sure if that is possible. If not any way to get it higher would be good. 20211011_122411.jpg
    20211011_122400.jpg

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

The trailer doesn't need to be level. A little low in the front is ok.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Carl Schwarz

Carl Schwarz New Member

Ahh thanks. I think it's enough un-level for the fridge not to work on 12v while driving, and I do a lot of daytime driving.

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I suppose you could have a machine shop make a spacer and put it between the ball and the drawbar.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

The fridge dosent have to be level traveling, it bounces, so it will redistribute the ammonia to the needed area. Level is more needed when parked.

xxxapache likes this.
  6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

First you have an old style class 1 hitch on the vehicle, those things are barely rated to tow a utility trailer let alone a camping trailer of any sort... depending on where you live, find yourself a reputable hitch shop or welding shop and have them install or make you a proper class 3 or 4 hitch ..

7. davido

davido Well-Known Member

I'm in agreement on this: That setup isn't designed to tow anything in the 550-750kg (1212 to 1650 pounds) range. Basically, that hitch was put on to handle a smaller load, lower to the ground, and wasn't designed to accommodate your current use case.

Pay $300; have it removed and a proper hitch installed. Then you can use whatever drawbar you want. Go with at least class two, probably class three for its ubiquity and strength.