Tow vehicle advice

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by saler, Aug 3, 2015.

1. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Keep in mind as well that if you are going by GVW (which you absolutely should be) you can't go by dry tongue weight. On my Roo, GVW of 6411, it scales at roughly 5000 pounds, maybe a few more when fully loaded. Tongue weight at the 5000 pound mark on a CAT scale is over 800, closer to 850 pounds. Please be careful mixing up these numbers.

2. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

I do need to add buy what fits you better. My best friend who I camp with tows a 7500 dry camper. They never pack anything . They have a bike and eat out all the time. He towed with a 2014 ram 1500 .was very unhappy. After a year he talks about payload and buys a ram 3500 drw. Now we go camping and says he hates the towing experience. He is already talking of changing the truck.
    According to every one from RV.net and other experts he should love it but for him he says its a truck that is worse than the ram 1500. Its not his daily driver either. But a t.v. Only. He hates parking it , driving it and backing it in. He is how talking of a 4k suspension upgrade or a new truck.

3. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Wow.......you lost me on that. He was not happy with a Ram 1500 and he was not happy with a Ram 3500? Sounds like he should of bought a GM? [LOL]

What does the guy want? A truck that can tow 20000 lbs and haul a boulder the size of a small house but rides like a Sedan Deville?

4k suspension upgrade? Upgraded to what?

RV.net experts.....that's some funny stuff right there. [LOL]

4. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Go for F250!!!!! It's a FORD!!!! [PUT]

5. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

No idea what he wants . I drive with a 110k t.v and probably use it a few more years. His daily driver is a e550 merc.so maybe he think the dually is too harsh driving around. I recommended the new ram 2500 6.4 hemi as seems its a great package. He did have a drw before the the ram 1500 and no it never towed anything and I have seen it haul anything other than frozen chicken cases for his dogs. He hated it and sold it after a year for the ram 1500.

My comment was more in light of these heavy duty trucks do not ride like cars. So keep that in mind. For me included cars are big purchases and we live with them a long.

6. Jughed

Jughed Member

For that weight class, 2500 all the way. Towing at or near max is just that - putting the truck at its max. It's going to work to stop, go and remain going, and its going to work you harder.

4-500#'s of cargo? Easy - if you add it all up, you are probably well over 1k. Coolers, food, supplies, tools, bikes, toys... it adds up fast.

2500 weigh 1500++# more.
    Bigger/more powerful braking system
    More payload and CGVW
    And in some cases, longer wheelbase.
    Stronger driveline components - better cooling systems.

And diesel isn't required. Modern gas engines combined with the proper gearing and you can pull the 8k with ease. The 6.0 Ford or GM, the 5.7 or 6.4 Hemi - all will pull hard.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

My Expedition 5.4L (3.31 gears) (8900lb max tow) can pull my Hybrid (6500lb GVWR) up a ramp and accelerate well, but pulling it at speed (65MPH) is a bit of a task. The 6 speed automatic rarely gets out of 4th, so the engine is always on revs. Engine and trans temps are never even close to high. Max temp is 195-200F for both.
    The frontal area of the trailer is the culprit. So watch your maximum frontal area numbers. Fuel economy is 8.5MPG driving conservatively on the highway.
    Hoping for an Expedition Powerstroke.

8. Wecamp04

Wecamp04 Member

I was in your shoes when we got out first tt it was just under the max for my truck 1500 gm it would and did pull it but made the truck very tired very fast after 2 years I traded for a F250 super duty boy what a difference so much better towing I would look for a 3/4 truck , good luck

9. GaJeep94YJ

GaJeep94YJ Member

Lots of misunderstood information and misquoted definitions in this thread.

Check this out for the actual information:
    http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

10. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

I agree with the 3/4 ton necessity to be happy and content with the capabilities of the tv.....

11. hahahamilton

hahahamilton Member

I have a 2006 Palomino 26BHSL and tow it with an '04 Dodge Ram 1500 with 3.92 axle and 5.7L. I wish is had a 3/4. Mine always seems like it is working hard to pull the trailer especially in the hills.

I would err on the side of caution and go with the 3/4 ton.