Tow Vehicle Battery Dieing at the Park?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Wrenchgear, Jul 21, 2015.

1. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Was this truck at a dealership any length or time?
    I suspect it was used in the show room and the battery was completely drained a few times. Thus reducing the capacity.
    The dealership here charges the batteries at night but do not leave them on the chargers during the day. Then people get in the showroom cars try the radio, move the seats, ect draining the battery by the time they close up.

2. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Yeah Craig, I have a booster pack that always goes along. Guess we'll see how it goes. As mentioned, other guys on a Ford Forum have similar concerns, but nobody really comments on how things turned out. I'll check it out everyday during camping to keep an eye on it, and keep my fingers crossed.
    Stupid electronics in these new things. You'd think it was a 747 or something [:D]. I need to get some redundant systems in it.

3. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep a set of jumper cables handy (I always do anyway) and start it up every now and then.

Worst comes to worst, you could steal the battery from your PUP to crank the truck in an emergency. I did that once when my battery gave out on a trip. It got the truck started and I ran and got a new battery.

The safest bet, though, would be to not run in and out of the truck and/or start it up daily for a few minutes to top the battery off. It would take quite a while for the small interior lights, etc. to drain a truck battery.

4. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

You should go buy the best battery that will fit in the truck. Even though the battery seems good and not on its last leg, it might not have the same capacity as when new. My wife's Escalade battery needed a jump start a few times this past winter when she was picking up the kids from school. I thought that the battery was good. It was only three years old and the truck would start when it was below zero outside. The Escalade also has all kinds of lights and amps and GPS. I put in a new battery and have had no issues. I kept the old battery because I still thought that it was good. I used it to jump start my lawn tractor and with a full charge it would only start the tractor two or three times before I had to charge it again. My other old battery will start the tractor many times before a charge.

Never mind, I also misread your post. You don't actually have a problem.

5. Pal-O-Mino

Pal-O-Mino Life in the slow lane.

I was worried about this with the rent-a-truck we had at the rally. The lights were always on on that thing. On the first day, I kept opening the doors to turn off the lights, only to find the lights were already off, they just stay on.

The truck was fine after 5 days (apart from getting stuck in the mud) so I guess the battery is rated to the load. If you wanted to be super safe though, you could get one of those solar panels that sits on the dash for a maintenance charge. I think they sell for around $30.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/home/energy-production-storage/solar-energy-converters/coleman-2-5-watt-12-volt-solar-battery-maintainer-0112007p.html?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=Default&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default

6. R00

R00 Active Member

I thought this thing was actually killing the battery lol. I get it, you're just worried it might kill the battery. It won't.

Stop worrying.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

See your over thinking... go have fun and if you need to get a boost worry about it then ..

8. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

You know me, I never overthink or worry about anything, .... except the stuff that needs to be overthunk or worried about.

I gotta think about it now, rather than when I'm 6 hrs from home and something goes bad. My brain doesn't think when I'm camping, it goes into mush mode.

I dug out an old solar panel that I put alligator clips onto for the battery, and have a fully charged booster pack, and am about to go out and get the ingredients for Craig's Pineapple drink things that he made me at the rally, life is good.

9. JeffC

JeffC New Member

We had a small solar panel that we kept on the dash of an f350 at work that was always dying from sitting too long. It solved the problem. I'm guessing your little panel will be enough for your parasitic loads as well.

Jeff

10. M-88

M-88 Member

I am not sure of the specific details, but I believe there was a recall on some of these F150s with the infotainment system that it didn't power down, and somehow, they were wired from the factory to bypass the battery saver. It may have been something to do with the remote start with infotainment?

It was a very specific set of options that ford recalled.

We put the 1.5W one on my Dad's 2001 F350. He drives it a few times a year. It sat from 10/2014 to 4/2015 - through one of the coldest winters we have had in a while. Spun over like it was just driven! Cranked better than my Jeep that has a new battery and starter and is driven on a regular basis, actually.

11. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

FOLKS!!! He doesn't have an issue, just concerned that it may happen in the future.

Wrench, I am a Ford tech of 35 years, the small draw of the lights now and then is not enough to cause an issue. Even if you leave the headlights on the power saver relay will shut it down before your battery goes dead in most cases.

Go camping, enjoy and stop worrying about a non-issue :)

12. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

How does a 35 year Ford tech end up driving a Dodge? [?:~{]

13. R00

R00 Active Member

Maybe a ... Umm ... Flipped over rebuilt Dodge?

14. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Ouch!

15. xxxapache

That was kinda a serious question....Heck, I remember in my hometown the story of the guy who worked in a Pepsi plant pulling a Coke out of his lunchbox. They fired him on the spot.

16. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Like Goldilocks, the F150 was too big, the Ranger was too small and the Dakota was just right

17. xxxapache

Logical answer

18. NegrilJerry

NegrilJerry Newbies in GA, we LOVE this site!

Got to agree with Trooper, one discharge of a standard auto type battery will send it on a fast downhill slide whereas marine deep cycle batteries are intended to be discharged completely and recharged all the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

19. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Completely discharged? Marine "deep cycle" batteries aren't even true deep cycles and true deep cycles will incur damage when discharged more than 50%. I old like to see the flooded cell battery that is designed to be completely discharged all the time.

20. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

Think it's time for a new battery living in Florida with the extreme heat we generally have to replace batteries every two years

2013 Rockwood 1980
    2015 Ford Explorer