Tow vehicle died, now what?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by eagle, Jul 19, 2019.

1. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

But, you can get good deals on an F150 if you look a little.
    I towed up around 6-7K with my Tundra a few times, and while it would do it the truck sure didn't like it.

I had a work truck (2010 Silverado HD) with the 6.0L. It's a good drivetrain, but it averaged 14.5 mpg unloaded and under 9 just towing a small motorcycle trailer.

The Titan XD was a rockstar when towing, 5.0L Cummins and got better mileage towing than the work truck did empty.
    You might find a used one in the mid $30K range, you won't find a new one under $50K.
    The gas engine is ok, but mpg is poor.
    My wife has an Armada now, oddly enough it's the same chassis as the Titan and has a 5.6L gas engine.
    But gets 19 mpg at home and when we recently went to northern PA I got about 15.6 mpg towing the pop up at 70.
    A hybrid trailer is going to get worse mileage as it has more wind resistance.

A gas F250 is great for towing, but you'll get less than 10mpg.
    Any of those should hold up for 10 years and 150K with some regular maintenance.
    I drive a lot, so I watch my mpg a lot. If you think of that 150K miles and the money difference between something that gets 20 mpg and another vehicle that gets 15 it can really add up.
    Would your budget allow you to get something that you mainly only use to tow the camper?
    Then use a more economical vehicle for daily use.

MaeKay likes this.
  2. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

I have to say, I found your positivity very refreshing. Thanks for the boost today!

As for towing and passenger needs, we’re in the same boat. Have you seen the hybrids that have THREE fold outs? We’ve looked at those and while I prefer travel trailers myself I love the idea of hybrids. (I just need a legit house mattress to sleep on and I can’t put one in a hybrid).

3. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

When I was looking for a bigger TV in anticipation of moving to a hybrid or TT I was looking strictly at used. My budget won't support a big expenditure like that. We already have a minivan and quite frankly I can't see ever giving that up. It has so much more utility than ant truck or SUV, and the food flat seats in the Chrysler trump all others.

I won't own a truck again. I find them uncomfortable for road trips, and the way we pack it would be a pain having to deal with gear in the bed at hotels. Plus they have all gotten so expensive.

In the end I settled on the 2nd generation Dodge Durango platform, and found a good deal on an AWD Chrysler Aspen. It has way more tow capacity than I need, decent room inside, and AWD. For me I am still pretty involved with my son's scout troop which also meant I needed to be able to tow the heavy when loaded scout trailer and haul scouts. I can get 6 scouts in my Aspen for trips and thus far have had no complaints. I run a Yakima cargo box on the roof for increased cargo capacity and this combo has proven to be an excellent choice. Gas mileage sucks but I knew that going in and was willing to make that trade for the increased power I got.

4. WVhillbilly

If you think a truck can't be comfortable you have not been in the right one.
    My Titan XD Pro 4X was as nice inside as any luxury car.
    Very quiet, great seats. I could drive it for 8 hours and still feel human when I got out.
    The current work truck isn't bad at all. It's a sorta base F150XLT.
    A bed cover will handle security for the truck while you're parked.

For the mpg of that Aspen you could drive a Suburban I bet.

After having a V10 powered Dodge 2500 and a few newer Jeeps I don't think I'd ever buy another vehicle they made.
    The Dodge would pull or haul anything, but started getting a LOT of bugs in the wiring and such.

Looked at a new Dodge 2500 a week ago just for giggles.
    Nice truck, but it should be for $81K. You can get two new F150s for that much.

In the fall Dodge always has big sales on Ram 1500s in this area.
    A new 4 door cab 4x4 with a Hemi goes off the lot for $28K.

So keep that in mind, these are $40K trucks and the average discount is $12,800.

5. eagle

eagle Member

Quick update on the van: All of the problems turned out to be voltage-related: the alternator and battery both died, but the battery was 4.5 years old so that's understandable. $1000 and I was out the door.

If I buy anything, it's going to be used -- I cannot afford anything over $25k or so, and for any tow vehicle that will be used.

Any concerns with a Suburban with more than 150k miles on it? Obviously I will take to a mechanic anything I consider and have it fully checked out. I always thought that Suburbans would go 500k miles or more, but a Suburban-loving friend of mine is warning me away from ones with that many miles on them.

6. eagle

eagle Member

I am considering a Durango too. I guess my options are: Suburban and its siblings (Yukon, Tahoe), Dodge Durango, Nissan Armada... not sure what else.

MaeKay likes this.
  7. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Yeah, my current Expedition is like a Lincoln of old. And both rows of rear seats fold completely flat. We just took it on a four week, 9,000 mile (14,000+km) road trip. It's a company truck (my own is an '04), and I'm sure going to miss it, because I can't really imagine spending $70,000 for a truck.

8. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

What kind of mileage do you get with an expedition? I’m looking expedition or Tahoe in the 2010 year range. Our 4Runner only seats 5 but also only gets 14 mpg around town. I might as well get a Tahoe and be able to seat 7-8 people. And the dog.

9. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

We just got a Colorado under 30 out the door. (Looking long term so wanted to go a little bigger than our beloved Caravan.)
    30 isnt 25 but it is close and we got the 4door 2wd WT that has most of the bells and whistles. With a 7000 tow rating we will never get close.
    This is a once in a lifetime deal for us but we are very pleased.
    Good luck in your hunt. It takes a while.

eagle likes this.
  10. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Great news about the van!

As for a Suburban, are we talking 1/2 ton or 3/4?

PROPERLY MAINTAINED and not over loaded, a Suburbans mechanical driveline should easily last 200k-300k with minimal issues and just maintenance. Problem is the rest of it will likely fall apart around you. With wiring, electronics, window motors, locking mechanisms, air conditioners, etc. the electronics are likely what will fail first and cause the most frustration.

eagle and WVhillbilly like this.
  11. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

My '04 with 5.4 4x4 gets me about 16 mpg, but it's not a daily driver, so it's hard to describe its use conditions.

The '19 with the 400 hp 3.5 turbo 4x4 short wheel base (not Max) is getting me 17.8 since the day I got it. There are just over 15,000 miles on it, 9,000 of which took me through all kinds of roads and terrain on the recent cross-country trip.

MaeKay likes this.
  12. eagle

eagle Member

Yes, great news about the van. On the Suburban, I don't know the difference yet. I know that there are 1500s and 2500s, and Silverados make it easy to tell the diff (5-6 lug bolts vs 8 lug bolts), but it doesn't seem so easy on the Suburban.

As for which, I think I want the 2500, because the tow capacity on the 1500 is, IIRC, "only" 5,000 pounds or so, and we'd like at least 6,000.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I recently traded my 2003 VW Jetta 1.8T, and I didn't really need to -- I could have kept it for another 50-100k miles, easy. Engine & drivetrain were perfect, I just got tired of dealing with all of the minor issues with it.

13. RockyRoo

So, the differences are the same. 1500 Burb comes with 6 lug wheels and the 5.3 engine. Don't think the 6.2 was an option for the Burb. The 2500 comes with the 8 lug wheels and the 6.0 engine. I believe they stopped production of the 2500 somewhere around 2011-2013? Somewhere in there. That said, as rare as they are if you look hard enough you can find them for sale. 2500 would be my choice as well

J Starsky likes this.
  14. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I spent a long time looking at Expeditions, Tahoes and Suburbans. Ended up with an Escalade even though I was not interested in them. Escalades are actually great TVs. They come stock with a tow package and even have a transmission temp gauge. I recently replaced the 20" rims with 17" and all terrain tires. It has 160,000 miles and runs great. We drove it to the top of Mt Washington last month.

MaeKay likes this.
  15. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Well, I got the Tahoe Trans rebuilt, and I brought home a new tow vehicle. Meet our 8 lug 6.0 3/4 ton suburban! 180k miles and lived 1/2 it's life in Arizona. Most in MN have rusted under both doors by now. Got my WD hitch setup for it now, and will tow my 25ft TT like butter.

Attached Files:

WVhillbilly and 1380ken like this.
  16. RockyRoo

NICE!!!!! Great find, congrats!

J Starsky likes this.
  17. J Starsky

Sneaky Popups!

upload_2019-7-31_10-29-43.png

1380ken likes this.
  18. WVhillbilly

If you think that a 6.0L 2500 Suburban is hard to find, look for one with the 8.1L.

RockyRoo and J Starsky like this.
  19. J Starsky

I ran into a few, but no clear winners!

20. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

I had a similar budget a few years back . Got a 2008 tundra crewmax [ the big interior] one for 23k with 80k miles. Was loaded. Anyway, 6 yrs later its stilll ticking at 165k and i do not think its going anywhere. it just runs and hauls a 8k trailer .Also mine was part of a recall so was stripped bare and painted with any rust paint and put together a year ago. so for a new england truck the bottom is 100% rust free with this black goopy paint. so for in 6 yrs, it needed tires , brakes, engine belt, plugs , a new radiator and a airbag light fixing bag.

Rik Peery likes this.