Tow Vehicle - Good & Bad News

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by mckeapc67, Feb 3, 2014.

1. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

First the Bad News:

Had a run-in with an icy bridge, guard rail, and car hauler trailer with my '06 F-150 over the holidays. I was towing a car hauler trailer with another pick-up on it for my brother and had a little accident. We were going slow at about 45 mph when we hit a rough bridge approach and an icy bridge. The trailer decided to go "Wheee!" and jack-knifed spinning us into the guard rail a few times. The trailer did a number on both sides of my truck bed and the bridge rail did a number on my front bumper and some other damage.

Nobody was hurt; thank heavens. We were able to remove the front bumper and drive the rest of the way home with the truck. Needless to say, we didn't pull the trailer in the damaged condition and ended up driving the other vehicle too.

When I took my truck in for estimate and repair, it ended up to be a "total loss" since the damage cost (bed replacement, plus) was going to be more than the BB value of the truck.

Now the Good News:

Our insurance pay-off was enough to mostly pay for a new TV. We ended up buying a 2007 Ford Expedition EL. The new TV has the trailer towing package; so, all I have to do is plug in my brake controller and we're ready to go. The new Expedition drives great and I can't wait to hitch her up to the PUP for a trip.

2. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Ouch, hard way to get a new TV.

Doesn't take much to write off an older vehicle now, labor inflates the cost big time!

3. BadLarry

BadLarry New Member

Sorry about the old TV, glad nobody was hurt. Congrats on the new TV !

4. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

Glad to hear you walked away. Things can be replaced. You can't.

5. Rusty

Rusty Don't worry, everything has a way of working out.

Thankfully no one was hurt. You will really enjoy your Expedition, we have one but not an EL. Best wishes on your future trips!

6. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

You guys have hit the nail on the head!!

Our biggest blessing was no injuries. Like I told my son and brother who where with me and a number of you said, "a truck is only a possession and can be replaced."