Tow Vehicle - hitch ball covers....show me yours!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by rob2218, May 19, 2014.

1. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Did not say it would hurt dang thing just saying it isn't a requirement. You want to do it, go ahead ...just know that thousands do not do it.

2. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Two hours go I asked on one of the fishing websites I belong to(20,000 members) 6 people have responded. None grease their hitch ball and only one has ever heard of it.

3. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

if the ball doesn't NEED to oiled/greased then why was this product created?
    my ball was new, after 1 season it looks rusty. no I didn't lube it and took if off in October (ny)

kitphantom thanks for the post, how is the ball holding up?????

4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

I bought one of those black rubber sleeves, but it suctions on there and I have trouble getting it off, so now it is the bright yellow tennis ball. The bright color also reminds me to keep my legs away. [:D]

6. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

that's funny......great photochop job!

7. SidecarMike

SidecarMike Active Member

I'm from Wisconsin.

[​IMG]

It's difficult to capture with the camera, but when the brakes are applied the front legs flail and the chest area turns red.
    In this case, they are about half way up.

[​IMG]

Normally, she's on my motorcycle. I don't think people would notice her on the Subaru.

8. Azuredoc

Azuredoc Member

I don't have a picture but we use one of those "slap kozies" that go around bottles or soda cans while you drink. It was given to us a promo and just "slaps" around the ball so it fits perfectly. We generally just have it on there if we are staying in camp but if we plan on doing a lot of driving we will usually end up stowing the hitch with the kozie protecting the greasy ball. (Yes we do grease our ball as it always seems to be too snug of a fit without a little grease.)

9. COdreaming

COdreaming New Member

THAT'S AWESOME!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@n2cruzn
    The no-grease (polymer) ball is holding up great. There is one mark on it, which does not seem to create any problem, from when the tongue jack wasn't quite as high as it needed to be when we hitched it up. (We have an iBall camera now, which makes a re-occurrence less likely.)

11. not_camping

not_camping New Member

Because people will buy anything they've been told they need even if by other people who aren't engineers. If I am manufacturing a product and note that certain people will use a secondary product with it, why wouldn't I also want to provide that product with my name on it? Additional sales never hurts. And you would think they would use the right grease instead of white lithium. But most folks who use grease use it so they sell it. And for the special case below that you found.
    I have only seen the recommendation from manufacturers for weight distribution hitches. You linked to a WDH set up. Most of us don't have WDH. Show me something by the mfgr for non-WDH please.

Otherwise it's just people spouting what they've heard or decided to believe. And no one is forcing anyone to do it or not do it a certain way.

12. Mudfoot

Mudfoot New Member

My 1.75 year old son is a grease magnet and seems to be attracted to my mildly greasy hitch ball. I can't count how many times I've caught him with his hand on that ball. We got tired of degreasing the tot so my wife (industrial hygienist) slapped a rubber glove over it and told me to buy a cover. The glove is pretty funny looking on there and it is makes me laugh when I see it, but it works for now. FYI the local Rural King store here does not stock ball covers... Gotta check the Menards next time I'm over there.

13. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

Id like to see a picture of the rubber glove ball hitch cover.

14. Mudfoot

Mudfoot New Member

I'll snap one tonight and post it. Its pretty classy.

15. Mudfoot

Mudfoot New Member

[​IMG]

I figure it gets some strange looks driving down the road flapping in the breeze...

16. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Mudfoot that good i use the grease on mine.

17. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

now thats comedy.
    I'm wonderin' what would it look like if it were blown up? like one of those "fat balloon glove" hands.....now that'd be a hoot.

18. Mudfoot

Mudfoot New Member

When the glove is shot I may switch to an old sock.

I can see it now - this thread veering so far off course turning into "photos of your most off the wall home brewed hitch ball cover."

19. MichelleMS

MichelleMS Member

Someone should come up with a design so we can identify each other. One for those who grease and one for those who don't. Like rival gangs.

20. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Greaseless balls can go naked... so it's skins versus shirts for gang signs.