Tow vehicle to pull a hybrid

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by heathermax, Aug 3, 2014.

1. seigell

seigell New Member

Consider where you intend to Park / Store this TV before you go hunting for "The Longest One Available". Crew Cabs often only come with the 5'6" Bed, but include a Bed Extender / Cargo Gate. Often a Long Bed Quad Cab or most any 3/4-Ton won't fit into a "standard" 20ft Garage.
    (Heck, I need to dismount the Hitch in order to close the Garage Door on my Ram 1500 CrewCab with it's 5'6" Bed.)

2. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Pretty poor argument really, I've hauled more stuff in the back of a Suburban than you could possibly imagine, most of which you would probably never even consider trying. There are few things that you can't fit if you want to.

3. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

We have a Silverado Ext cab with the 3rd door, works fine for the grandson in a car seat, and adults for short trips, but with 3 teens you will need all the room you can get so quad cab is my suggestion....If you NEED a pickup... avoid the ridgeline, avalanche type trucks. If the bed size double by dropping the tailgate it aint a pickup... [:D]

4. upwings

upwings New Member

I'm starting to think that the rear axle ratio plays a role in the ease of towing. My 2012 3/4 Ram did great pulling our new Roo 23ss. Thought it was hard to keep it in 6th gear. I originally went for the 3.73 gears as that is what I had in my 03 Ram 2500. I only had the popup when we got the new truck and was thinking of fuel economy over pulling power.

I'm guessing alot of the 1/2 Dodge owners have 20" wheels which automatically upgrades to the 3.92 rear end.

5. 96Rockwood

96Rockwood Member

Our half ton has 3.42's and I have to look out 6th gear for everything except out utility trailer.

My 4 speed 2500HD has 4.10's out back and always will get into top gear no matter what it is pulling and I just have the 6.0L out front.

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

The rear axle ratio does play an important part of towing ease,,,, but just because you have a 3.92 does not mean the final ratio will be lower. Tire size influences the final ratio. When you increase tire size, you raise the final ratio. So your not gaining a lot.

7. sebring96hbg

sebring96hbg New Member

We have a Ram 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab with the front bench seat. It's a 2013 with the eight speed which pulls our Jayco X23B quite nicely. Ram has a really nice interior and the Outdoorsman model is, in part, designed for campers. The Ram crew cab is spacious, easily accommodating my four kids.

The higher the rear axle ratio, the better the towing capacity.

If you have the opportunity to shop for your truck and hybrid at the same time, make sure that the truck has the towing capacity to cover the weight of the hybrid and its cargo as well as the weight of the cargo and passengers in the truck. You might also consider the same for any potential future trailer depending on how many years you intend to keep the hybrid before upgrading.

8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

The lower rear axle ratio , the better towing capacity. The higher will give better fuel mileage non towing.

9. Broncojim

Broncojim New Member

We solved our TV issues by purchasing a 2005 F-150 crew cab. Lots of leg room in the back seat. Did have a Chrysler Pacifica, 5,000 lb tow capacity. It seemed to handle it OK, PUP weighs 2500 lbs with a full water tank, but I was worried about long term stress on the drive train.

10. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I have three kids. Three kids sitting on the same backseat for long rides can be a problem. Even with a full size back seat , nobody wants to sit in the middle. I would look for three rows of seating.

11. sebring96hbg

sebring96hbg New Member

Sure, the lower the gear, the better the towing capacity. However, the higher the rear axle ratio, numerically, the better the towing capacity.

For example, a truck with a 3.92 rear axle ratio will have a better towing capacity than a truck with a 3.21 rear axle ratio.

12. seigell

seigell New Member

Sorry, Joet...
    Higher Ratio, more Revs of Engine per Rev of Rear Axle.
    That means Higher Ratio means Better Towing but Lower MPG (towing or not).

For the RAM 1500, the 3.92 Axle hits a real Sweet Spot - including offering the Only Option for a Limited-Slip Differential (also a real benny for Towing).
    With my 3.92 LS and my 5.7 Hemi, and heavy HW PUP, it means that turning onto an Arterial from a stop on a Side Street sees Chirps out of both Rears rather than full-blown Spinning of the Right-Rear!!
    And with the Hemi's Econ-mode, I sometimes find myself rolling down the I-10 at 70MPH using only 4-cyl (makes a Weird Diesel-like Exhaust Note, but saves a bit on those MPGs).

13. joet

joet Well-Known Member

We were always taught than a 4:10 was lower than a 3:55, I have been out of it for a while, curious as to when things changed

14. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Place a strip of painters tape on the driveshaft and one on the wheel. With someone looking under the jacked up car rotate the wheel and count the driveshaft revolutions and compare. For example 41 rotations of the shaft with 10 rotations of the wheel is 41/10 or approx. 4.10.
    If you were counting the teeth in the pinion gear and the ring gear the same formula works 43 teeth on the ring gear and 11 teeth on the pinion is 43/11 or 3.90 ratio.

15. bbcute

bbcute New Member

I just bought a 1991Palamino stx. My TV is a 2007 Ford Escape V6 with AWD. I can't find out how much my pup weighs for sure but no problems driving it home. Should I be anticipating problems? I'm asking cuz I noticed how everyone seems to have more muscle in their TV than mine. Thanks!Deb

16. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

Deb, this discussion is about towing a travel trailer, not a pup.

From what I see online, your Escape has a 3500# tow rating. I don't see a STX, but a SXL weighs 1300+/- lbs.

17. cfmx

cfmx New Member

We bought Tundra CrexMax. Lots of leg room for adults in rear seats. Handles our 233S w/ no issues.