Towing 2007 Jayco 12 HW with Honda Odyssey

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by barrientosbunch, Feb 23, 2019.

1. barrientosbunch

barrientosbunch Member

We are considering purchasing this unit. We have a 2006 Honda Odyssey and would be towing it from CO to FL to help parents with Hurricane Michael recovery . Max towing weight is 3000 on the Odyssey without a towing package. Does this seem doable?

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I have been hearing that Oddys are great tow vehicles. I, however, would not tow a HW with an Oddy. With a base weight of 2695, the HW is already pushing the Oddy's max. Add the weight of propane, batteries and anything you put in the camper, you are maxed. This weight does not include the weight of the passenger that you will add to the Oddy which are part of the equation. You will be over the 3000 max.

I'm sure you will be getting responses that say you are ok to tow a HW, but the respondents aren't responsible for your passengers.

IMHO, look for a smaller unit.

Sjm9911 and barrientosbunch like this.
  3. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

A problem with HW trailers is their higher tongue weight. Using that base weight of 2695 and 13%(thought to be near idea tongue weight). You get 350lbs, it only goes up from there, battery, propane tanks, awning and AC if installed, And not including any cargo. The tongue weight on my HW Niagara ready to go camping is 470lb. I would think those numbers are well above the max rating on your Honda.

Another problem is the high walls! They drop gas mileage significantly and available TV power. And catch side winds.

4. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

I have a 2006 Oddy and tow a Jayco 1007, I have the dealer installed tow package and trans cooler. On some hills in the Poconos we have to shift gears to make the climb. My Jayco 1007 is about 1700 lbs. I would definitely not want to tow the 12 HW with my Oddy.

5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

And higher profile which in turn creates much more wind resistance. An Ody is totally unsuitable for towing a high wall popup of this size.

6. barrientosbunch

barrientosbunch Member

OK. The owner of the "potential pup" said it is an HE and not a HW. I can't find anything on an HE.

7. GreyFox

He's mistaken, it is HW. Regardless, it's too much trailer for an Ody.

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2007-select-ct/

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. barrientosbunch

barrientosbunch Member

That's what I thought. We are also looking at a 2006 Fleetwood Williamsburg. What are the thoughts on this one with an Ody TV? We are adding a tow package and new shocks to the van this weekend.

9. GreyFox

Factory UVW for the '06 Williamsburg was rated at 2610 lbs so once you add a battery and propane to the tank(s) it will obviously weigh more than that, especially if you also choose to tow with water in the water heater tank. GVWR is 3500 lbs so it's likely you'd be towing this trailer with it's GVW loaded & ready to camp close to it's GVWR. Personally I wouldn't want to tow a 12' popup with a glide dinette that weighs this much with an Ody as I know that back when we towed our Santa Fe that typically averaged ~ 2500 lbs with the Dodge Caravan we had at the time I wouldn't have wanted to tow anything much larger or heavier. No doubt your Ody is a much better minivan than our Caravan was (which eventually tossed it's transmission) but it's still a people mover, not a tow platform. We in fact chose the 10' Santa Fe over the 12' Sun Valley for just that reason even though the latter would have been a better choice for a family of four.

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I have a fleetwood Utah very similar to the Williamsburg. The thing you have to remember is the dry weight does not include options such as AC, awning etc. My camper the actual weight is about 3000. This does not include camping gear either. Also a thing to note the tongue weight on these units are extremely heavy. Again the weight listed usually does not include propane or battery or anything you pack in the front trunk. If you have gear in the back of your tow vehicle that also will count as tongue weight. Personally I wouldn't risk it. Double check with your manual as many manufacturers don't include passengers or gear in their tow rating. You actually have to look at the payload on your vehicle more than your tow rating. I have a tow rating of 5000 on my 4 runner but I can't go above 3500 gvw as my payload would be at max.

11. barrientosbunch

barrientosbunch Member

Thanks for the feedback!! We have nixed the Williamsburg and the Jayco 12HW; we agree they weigh too much. I think we are settling on a Starcraft Spacemaster. Great price and well-cared for by a trusted friend. Adding the towing package this week to give us peace of mind.

12. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

One thing to consider if you're a little heavy is to wait to pick up a battery and propane tank at your destination. If the camper is mostly going to stay put while you help out your parents, you can travel with it as light as possible.

13. barrientosbunch

barrientosbunch Member

YEPPERS! This is the plan! Tanks are empty, and we will have them filled or exchanged when we get there. Actually, we ditched the Jayco to opt for a 2100 dry weight Starcraft. Seems easier to maneuver than the 2900 dry weight Jayco.

14. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

One thing to also remember is that the 3000 Lb tow weight does not include passengers full tank of gas and cargo weight in the ody. So travel as light as possible!! We used to have a 2005 Ody and it towed our pup very well. The tow rating for the 2005 was 3500 lbs with the factory tow package (which we had installed at the dealership). Don't forget to install a brake controller in the ody for the pup brakes!

15. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

The Williamsburg is only about 300 lbs past what you can safely tow. I tow a 2400 lb dry popup with my Chrysler Pacifica and have not had any issues. All in, with 3 kids, I am 8100 lbs combined, 500 less then the max on the Pacifica. There is a little suspension squat, which I would be able to fix if they made air bags for the Pacifica.

In your case you can get suspension air bags for the van which would help.

16. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

We had a 1990 something Mercury Villager that we traveled in, but no towing. The rear springs must have been 4.5' to 5' long. By the time we got the parents, two kids, us, food and luggage behind the back seat, luggage in the Ex-cargo carrier on top, a cargo tray on the back with coolers and chairs, we were probably an inch from bottoming out. Potholes were rough on people in the back. I took it to a spring shop and had a spring added. That greatly improved the ride.