towing a baja with a 4runner

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by oldcold, Aug 4, 2016.

1. oldcold

oldcold New Member

I'm looking at a new Toyota 4runner and using it to pull my Jayco Baja 10Z. Anyone had experience with a similar set up? I imagine the Baja weighs in at about 2600# with the dual propane tanks and dual batteries but it does seem to have a heavy tongue weight with that stuff on it.

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm not towing a baja, but I currently tow a Fleetwood Utah with my v6 4-runner tow rating of 5000. The Utah has a gross weight of 3500 although it's probably only around 3000 as I don't haul water. Gross tongue weight is 400. Although my tongue weight isn't close to max as I only one one propane bottle and the smaller battery. I have no problems towing this setup. I feel the trailer, but not excessively. I only use a sway bar and nothing else special. I don't know how it would feel if I load the tongue weight to max. The 4runner I have max tongue weight is 500. Also note...on the 2003 v6 4-runner the manual states we cannot use a weight distribution hitch so do keep that in mind. My parents tow with a 2006 v8 4-runner their 28 foot travel trailer. Its doable and falls well within their tow limits, but it struggles. On their v8 they can use a weight distribution hitch.

3. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

I imagine the 4Runner should be good to at least 5500#

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Look at the tow ratings for the years you're looking at. For some reason, there was one recent year where it went down a bit for the 4Runner. (I had a bunch of figures when we shopped for a new TV this spring.) We have a 2005 6 cylinder 4Runner, with a tow limit of 5K#, and towed both of our pups just fine. The Cobalt was under about 2300#.
    Do watch your tongue weight. Ours did OK with the Cobalt, which had dual LP tanks and 1 battery. It did squat more than I liked with the Retro. We asked our mechanic about air bags or rubber doughnut supports, but he did not recommend them for our set-up.
    That 4Runner towed our 17' Retro TT, about 3200#, for a season and a half. However, being that it is a TT and so has a larger surface area, we felt that we lacked margin under some conditions.

5. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

Not as high as I thought, 5000#
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. shfd739

shfd739 Member

Id think youd be fine. The 10Z has the short deck instead of the longer one like on the 10Y. You should be well within your hitch and towing capacities. The V6 in the 4R should handle that trailer pretty easily.

Fwiw years ago I towed a Baja 10Y with an '08 FJ Cruiser and it was a great little match up. Plenty of power, no real sag when hitched. Loved it.

7. Sig_Fan55

Sig_Fan55 New Member

She pulls it just fine. I would recommend looking into a set of Airbags if you see excessive squat in the back but all 4Runners are 1 inch lower in the front vs the back height. I installed a set of Airlift 1000 and they got rid of all the sag and the ride does not seem to suffer. $90 for the airbags and of you don't want to mess with a compressor you can even use a bicycle pump to air them up.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk