Towing doubles

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by inthedirt, Sep 15, 2013.

1. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

I've seen bigger 5er's and travel trailers with a boat attached behind them while traveling down the freeway. Wondering if anyone has seen this with a Pup? My dilemma is this: our family reunion is being held at a very nice resort/campground on Lake Cushman next year. I practically grew up on this lake as a kid because my parents owned property up there. I'd really like to take the Pup and the boat, but it would only happen if I double-tow. First off, I'm not sure it's legal in Washington. Secondly, I'd need to fab a new rear bumper with a hitch on the Pup.

I'm not against the idea of it as I'm a pretty good metal fabricator. I know the current bumper is pretty much for decoration and cannot bear any load. I already know this thread will get flamed for all those who are concerned about balance and sway, but please, I'm just wondering if anyone has seen it done on a Pup.

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Washington State calls it a triple tow (counting tow vehicle) and it's not legal.

3. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Seen it in Utah and Idaho, but its been awhile since I've towed through Washington. Too bad, t'was beginning to think I could have my cake and eat it, too!

4. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

This is exactly why I originally wanted a truck camper.

5. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Popcorn anyone???

6. flighht2k5

flighht2k5 New Member

It's legal in Nevada

7. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Here we go again...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Baron, shouldn't that guy have the golf cart pulling the pickup? it would be easier on fuel.

9. BigBaron

I have seen so many. Most states require the first trailer to be a fifth-wheel. They usually require a CDL, too.

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Here is what Ontario has to say about it ...

"Cars, passenger vans and SUVs are not permitted to tow more than one trailer or one vehicle. Motor homes, trucks, pickup trucks and truck campers are legally permitted to tow two trailers or a trailer and a motor vehicle behind a trailer. However, a three vehicle combination that is swaying excessively, is unstable or has reduced handling capabilities is subject to action by the police as an unsafe combination of vehicles under the Highway Traffic Act.

The maximum length of any combination of vehicles is 23 m (75' 6")."

Found here http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pubs/recreational-vehicles/part6.shtml

11. WadeT

WadeT New Member

As a professional driver i would give you this advise.......

[{:)] [{:)] [{:)] DONT DO IT [{:)] [{:)] [{:)] [{:)]

I have seen to many of these "super rigs" on the interstates and it scares the hell out of me to pass one or have one pass me doing 75 MPH.. When I do pass one i will try to get around them as quick as i can the only problem is that for some reason the 53" trailer I pull seems to suck them closer to me....

I would suggest leaving the boat at home or if it is small enough throw it on the pup...

Just my [2C]

Wade
    Professional driver since 1998

12. BigBaron

The big rig "suck" as they go by is a wild ride.
    A WDH on the second trailer seems to be the trick. It takes the "rocker effect" out of the middle trailer by putting tongue weight back on the first trailer. It also seems to make the two trailers act more like one.

13. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Here's a cozy bunch! [:D]

[​IMG]

14. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Its a ski boat, so no dice throwing it on top of the pickup. The resort rents kayaks and small tinnies, but I won't be fishing....

15. BigBaron

You could do this...

[​IMG]

16. E3 Junkie

E3 Junkie Greetings from Granada Hills, CA.

I have a friend that does this in California, but as one of the others mentioned, you're required to tow the second trailer behind a fifth wheel. I'm not sure about the license requirements.

17. Yar

Yar Garland, TX

I saw it once in Arkansas. It was pretty much like the first picture BigBaron posted. The boat first and the pup behind it. I'm thinking the boat trailer probably has a much sturdier backend to put a hitch onto.

Had a friend in Lubbock that used to do it but his setup was a 5th wheel and then the boat.

18. abc123

abc123 New Member

I am beefing up our bumper on the PUP at this moment. Just finished all the extra supports and added a sleeve for the hitch. I had to remove the spare tire from the back. It is a starcraft.

The only thing I am planning on towing is our single jet ski that is very light and/or putting a bike rack or storage rack into the sleeve. We would have the TV-PUP-JS while towing. It is legal here in Texas.

I have done this with several different item from our rental company to keep from making multiple trips or sending an employee and another truck. I would not go cross country but for going to the nearby lakes it is easier.

19. BigBaron

Even the weight of just a bike rack may cause uncontrollable sway. Also, if you're not extending the frame reinforcements all the way to the tongue, something WILL break.

20. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

Bring plenty of snacks because I wouldn't anticipate making it through the drive through.