Towing isn't much fun

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by keithert, Mar 31, 2016.

1. blondedriver

blondedriver Member

I just hate to drive any more. No matter what it is in or towing from a 18 wheeler to my RV or the cars.

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I also don't mind towing (except in very congested areas)! We drive cross country and really enjoy it. I tend to stay between 65-70 MPH. When we leave the house I can be a little on edge while towing. But after a few hours that feeling disappears. We have done big trips with mileage totals between 2500 - 7700. Weekend trips we will keep to a max of 2 hour drive. We feel anything more then that is just to much for a two night stay.

For the big trips we will break up the day by doing small side trips so we are not driving constantly.

3. keithert

keithert Member

I drove from Cave City KY to Indianapolis today. The first half of the trip went okay. Then it got very windy out. There were 38 mph winds. That got very old. By the time I got to the hotel I was exhausted.

Most trips I've taken in the last 15 years have been under 250 miles even without a trailer. Long trips just may not be my thing. For Memorial Day we will go to a campground 3 hours away.

4. keithert

keithert Member

The ride home from Indy wasn't as bad but I don't enjoy long distance driving. 300 miles per day might be my limit. Not going to get very far at that rate.

5. CamperMike

CamperMike Active Member

Towing anywhere around here yesterday would have been exhausting! Heck just driving yesterday was tiring.

6. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

I imagine the move from the Appelby to the Niagra was a big change. But IMO 300 miles a day is enough. After all you're not being paid to drive. Before we retired it did limit us to only taking the longer trips when we had at least a week off, but if we pushed it much beyond that we weren't much good for anything the next day anyway.

You're camping to enjoy life, not to beat yourself up. So enjoy your weekend trips closer to home and plan a couple of big trips a year where you can take a couple of days to get there and back.

7. keithert

keithert Member

I still have the Appleby. I don't plan to get rid of it. My old Geo Tracker could pull it and still get 23 mpg.

8. Jughed

Jughed Member

I find it depends on the TV and what you are towing that can make the trip easy. For me, towing anything with our Pilot or our minivan prior to that, makes driving seem like more work/requires more attention & leads to fatigue.

Towing the pup with our pick up is just like normal driving, just a bit slower. And slowing down makes it even easier...

Towing a large TT with the pick up is more work. Wind, trucks passing, corners, stopping - all require more attention.

In two weeks we are towing 5k miles with the truck/pup combo... if you see me put the pup up for sale in May - you will know if I am done with towing!

9. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

I love towing! It is a great feeling for me. I cannot wait to go again!

10. davido

davido Active Member

The TV, hitch, and mirrors make all the difference.

If you get even a hint of sway, go for sway control.
    If you feel that the tongue weight is making the vehicle look and feel unbalanced, or that the headlights are pointing upward, go for a weight distributing hitch and/or air bags.
    If you have a hard time seeing behind you, go for mirror extensions.
    If you can't climb a hill at highway speed, get a bigger motor.

Two years ago we were using a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. It had a terrible time getting over mountain passes, sometimes slowing down to 35mph on the highway. And it sagged a bit in back.

For a few trips we towed with a Chevy Traverse. It had more power, and its long wheel base towed extremely steadily - no sway. It didn't sag in back enough to worry about.

Now we tow with a Ford Explorer Sport. It has tremendous power (EcoBoost 350hp engine for the win). The wheel base is slightly shorter than the Traverse's, but it has built in electronic sway control. The trailer tracks very well, though one time when a semi blew past us in a tight curve I felt the sway control take over automatically, and only afterwards realized what a nice feature that is.

So our towing experience has gone from a little unpleasant to "you hardly know it's back there". It's all a matter of matching the right TV to the trailer.

The farthest I've towed is about 680 miles.

11. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

When i was a kid, we towed a 1975 StarCraft Galaxy 8 from Tampa to Montreal with a big block Suburban in 3 days, stopping every night. We were gone for 3 weeks that trip, I think. I only complained when I had to pee...

12. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

To me a trip just ain't a trip unless it's at least 400 miles. I like the scenery change you experience when you make a longer trip. I even enjoy the ride to the destination and occupying my mind for those hours with all the planning and the excitement of just having a great time. Over Christmas break we camped about 30 miles from our house...it just didn't seem the same.

13. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

I disagree. Gearing is what makes a big difference. Proper gearing will put the power band of the engine where it needs to be for climbing. Anyone who drives in the mountains will see big rigs climbing very slowly, but still climbing. Should they get bigger motors too?

14. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Maybe in Florida it takes 400 miles to see a change in scenery. Boston to the top of Mt Washington is less than 140 miles.

15. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

"Maybe in Florida it takes 400 miles to see a change in scenery"...... it does !!!

16. bldmtnrider

bldmtnrider Member

Gearing will get you to the top of the hill but if your motor isn't big enough, there is no amount of gearing that will keep you at highway speeds going up a hill. Plus gearing down a daily driver is not really a solution. For truck or dedicated tow vehicle maybe, but not a daily driver.

As far as Semis go, if they want to climb the hill faster they should get a bigger motor. They are running about 50lbs of load per ft.lb of torque. I am running 24lbs per ft.lb of torque. That is pretty much why I can climb hills at 70 and they are climbing them at 35. But given that 90%+ of their driving is relatively flat they are not going to take a hit in gas mileage to get up a hill a bit faster.

Generally speaking, the closer you get to the vehicles Tow Limit, the less fun it gets to tow. Limit on my truck is 9800lbs and I can't imagine trying to go on vacation with more than maybe 6000lbs behind me.

17. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

I do not like to drive or tow. I think my Honda Ridgeline tows my HTT fine, my problem is more other drivers. Like when you are in the slow lane and someone entering the highway does not merge correctly and forces you over. Or if someone just pulls in front of you as if you can just stop on a dime.
    I also get nervous I am accidentally going to end up in a tight spot- like a dead end street or a parking lot you can't pull through.

18. dion

dion Member

On the interstate, towing should be easy and fun. Maximum grade is about 7%, no sharp corners, you just sit back, relax, and cruise. If you have any handling problems, then maybe you need more TV or less trailer.

Actually, I enjoy towing on mountainous secondary roads, as well. The reason we got a PUP instead of a big heavy trailer was because we wanted something lightweight that would handle well. Mountain roads generally have less traffic and more scenery than the Interstates, so they're more enjoyable.

The only time I don't like towing is when trying to find a parking space, particularly in crowded semi-urban areas. I like those shopping centers that have angle parking with no bumpers between spaces, so I can find two adjacent spaces and pull through, putting the TV in one and the trailer in the other.

We normally don't drive more than about 400 miles in a day, and with our small kids, we won't do many days that long in a row. Usually, there's something worth stopping to see every 300 miles or so; often attractions are spaced much closer than that.

We do short weekend getaways sometimes, but an actual extended vacation is one that requires an oil change immediately before starting, and another oil change sometime during the trip. We've done a few California-to-Illinois round trips via meandering indirect routes.

19. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

I enjoy towing. Went on an 810 mile trip last year with my heavily loaded truck and trailer, and a few months ago with my loaded suburban and car trailer. Two of my favorite trips of the move. But my TV'S are both large powerful, capable vehicles.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

20. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

Towing is more relaxed if you get off the Interstate and stay on the back roads. Everyone seems to be in a hurry today, slow down and enjoy the trip. There is more to see and take in an the small roads that meander through our great country and we are on vacation so what is the reason to hurry. I very seldom take a major highway anymore.