Towing light adapter??

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by mesuezee, Jun 17, 2011.

1. mesuezee

mesuezee New Member

We are getting our pop up next week. We have a tow hitch on our van but we need to get what looks like a circular 6 prong adapter for the lights on the camper. What is the name of it? I don't know where to get it or what to ask for....help :)

2. cruising usa

cruising usa New Member

Make sure the camper and TV match. The seven pin is probably the most common on newer campers. I made the mistake of installing a 6 pin connector based on what the PO told me. Turns out it has a seven pin. Post with the make,model and year and I am sure some one will know for sure what you need. One of the sponsors here is ETrailer.com They have a wealth of information on wiring.
    Happy Camping
    Ken

3. mesuezee

mesuezee New Member

Thank you- We are getting a 1999 Coleman Nevada if that helps :)

4. mesuezee

mesuezee New Member

ok I think we need a 4way to 7 way adapter....I think...

5. catcrazy

catcrazy New Member

hi , when i spoke to RV dealer when bought our new vehicle a month ago because the car dealership said you could get a adaptor to go from 4 pin to 7 pin which i thought was wrong and after speaking to the RV dealer they said you can not get adapter going from 4 pin to 7 but you can get adapter going from a 7 pin to 4. hope that helps

6. Silverstone

Silverstone New Member

You can actually get a flat 4 to 7 pin adaptor, I have one! I puchased it in Canadian Tire. (not much use to those south of the border i understand!) But they DO exist! You have to remember though, that if your vehicle has just the flat 4 end and you purchace the adaptor, then the brakes on the trailer (if equipped) will not function. The flat 4 is solely for lights.

7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I too have several of these adaptors, came with GM PU'S. I use 1 for my atv trailer.

8. Kdugan

Kdugan Member

You definitely can get a flat 4 to a round 7 adapter, you can get the at an auto parts store or even wall mart. I hope this link works, this is from e trailer and they even have a video to show how to install them

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/37185.html

I bought one from Auto Zone (same part as above) for our previous TV. Hope some of this helps.

9. Wagnfixr

Wagnfixr New Member

Someone told me that as well..."They don't make 'em" But they do, saw lots of 4 to 7 adapters online, but couldn't find one local and ran out of time. So....I cut the 7-way plug off the pup and installed a 4-way flat plug so I'd have lights. (No preaching about trailer brakes please :) )

10. mesuezee

mesuezee New Member

I bought what I thought was the right adapter but turns out the flat 4 prong is the same that is on my van. So they can't connect- I need a male/female connection. I went to a local RV place and they told me it is NYS law that any tow vehicle over 1000lbs you have to have electric brakes on it. I know the PO did not use electric brakes. I am sooooo confused [?:~{]

11. Srt4inliny

Srt4inliny "It ain't campin if ya can't hear nature"

You are correct any trailer over 1000 lbs by law needs e-brakes. But. That doesnt mean you need to have them connected. What I don't see mentioned here is that the seven way plug also allows charging of your battery while in tow. The 4-way is just for tail lights. The 7-pin has a few extra wires that need to be connected. One would be a connection to the TV's battery. One would be an accessory wire(usually not needed unless you have backup light ). And the other lead ( blue in color) would be the brake sensing wire for if and when you get a brake controller to run the e-brakes on the trailer. Hope this helps. Btw. I am also a noobie here. But I did a heck of alot of homework before we brought our Pup home. I also installed our own hitch from uhaul on our Tv. I even wired up the 7-pin connector myself.