Towing nightmare!!!

Discussion in 'The Woodshed' started by Suzicnm, Oct 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

What’s really funny is I don’t think we’ve heard from the OP since their original question. Run that one off quite properly, I’d say.

Nothing more entertaining than the towing threads. It’s not just here, btw. Seems to be almost as sensitive as politics which is often banned on lots of forums. End of the day let’s not argue to the point of someone getting butt hurt. There’s enough of that in world as it is. For all we know, we could hook up the camper, hit a kid at a school bus stop, be arrested for over-weight towing and die from the bad pot we got in prison tomorrow and then all the arguing wouldn’t matter, would it.

Sjm9911 and BikeNFish like this.
  2. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

LEO can be wrong. In this case, a self-important LEO decided to apply his "common sense" instead of actually understanding the law, and it was proven in court.

Don't talk to LEO. Talk to a lawyer if the laws are hard to read, or just read and understand the laws.

3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Can you really die from bad pot??[RTM]

4. Steve in Denver

Steve in Denver Member

That's surprisingly low, my 2016 outback has the same engine and transmission and is rated at 2700 lbs, I believe. As others have surely mentioned, brakes, suspension and vehicle weight are also factors, but 1500 still seems low.

I'd get trailer brakes, keep it under 1500 lbs for legal and liabiliry reasons and if it tows we'll stick with it.

The ascent engine is not the same as your engine. It's turbocharged, has about 80 hp more, and a lot more low end grunt. Also the Ascent probably has 1000 lbs on your car, bigger brakes etc.

As far as advice on CVT transmissions go, I would say that the Subaru transmission is a different animal than pretty much all other CVTs (and I think in a good way) .unless you have evidence specific to Subaru CVT transmissions being bad for towing, I wouldn't be particularly concerned. Sure, I'd prefer a manual, but I think the CVT is most likely fine.

5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Looked up California Vehicle Code and found these:

• 29003 Every hitch, drawbar, coupler or other connection between motor vehicles towing must be securely attached to the vehicle and be strong enough to handle the weight of whatever you are towing.
    • 21715-a. No motor vehicle under 4000 lbs shall tow any vehicle 6000 lbs or more.
    So while there is not a law here that states towing over your tow rating is ilegal, the former law could be used in such an instance to hold you liable in an accident for going over the tow rating (which is based on the hitch strength/install in part).

This is a quote from a reputable hitch intaller:

Knowing the laws of the state you are towing in is important for your towing safety. The unpleasant truth of the matter is that if you are stopped by a police officer or are in an accident, and the officer determines you are towing with the wrong or substandard equipment for your towing needs, you can be held criminally negligent and liable for any injuries and damage that you are involved in.

Again, if the officer determines you are towing above the tow rating of the vehicle, you CAN be stopped and/or held liable in an accident. As to how the officer knows you are over, it will end up being you that has to fight it - basically proving that you weren't towing unsafely.

Halford, Snow and BikeNFish like this.
  6. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

If you injure someone due to your actions, then you are liable. This is true whether you are 10,000 pounds overloaded or 10,000 pounds underloaded, thus it has nothing to do with this conversation.

7. Customer

and what does an "unsafe strapped load" have to do with manufacturers tow ratings?

8. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I don't understand. What has nothing to do with this conversation?

9. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

10. Suzicnm

Suzicnm New Member

I didn't realize there had been so much activity/ response to my question!! I'm enjoying them all at the moment......

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Suzicnm

Suzicnm New Member

Clearly, I unknowingly opened a Pandora's box, writing this post! I certainly didn't plan to do anything harmful or illegal I was more interested in people's experiences with Foresters, and INFORMED discussion on why tow limits vary so much from here/UK/Europe. Thus far, I have borrowed a GMC v8 to tow it, but that's not a long term solution.

Sjm9911 and BikeNFish like this.
  12. Customer

13. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Its all good , i learned the hard way too, but it goes to show, that its not an easy task to accomplish.

14. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal!! [LOL]

15. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

No but if they can drag you in to weigh there must be something somewhere we’re just missing it. On another forum they were talking about how the CHP are starting to pull rvs into mobile weigh stations. Ca. Code says no vehicle can go over its GVWR. It does not specify commercial. The laws where the OP is may be different. I have been known to push my luck and tow overweight I just wouldn’t tell someone else “Yeah go ahead you’ll be alright” especially when they are talking towing 33% over tow capacity. If they did and something happened I wouldn’t want it coming back on me that I said it was ok.

Edit: The OP never mentioned towing 500lbs over that was in someone else’s reply. My statement of 33% over is in response to that.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  16. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I have a little brother who is special needs, so your insult of tards isn't acceptable to me. You are a loser and a Jackass.

17. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I'm a loser and jackass cause I called folks like yourself tards.. yet you refer to your special needs bother as retarded so your insulted.. 1) grow a skin.. 2) I called folks here tards.. 3) your brother is special needs.. not retarded you loser and jackass..

18. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Because he felt like he was just fine at the time, but that poor choice could end someone's life....

So ya Customer, it's all the same convo ain't it? Just different aspects of when the lazy says "good enough" and go. I'll be fine dude thinks, then mows down a wedding party.... or me... See what I mean now or will you need more clarity? I can crystalize it more if required.

19. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

You stupidity is shinning through. My special needs brother is retarded. Not a funny thing. Some day maybe someone in your family will be born retarded and you can see how funny it is.

20. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Dial it back a notch people. Were not enemies here. Keep it civil.

neighbormike likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.