Towing problems - new vehicle, old trailer

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by JohnnyTraveller, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

We had that feeling too. The streets around where we live are so bumpy, when we got out on the highway it went away. Makes ya scared though. Weird feeling.

JohnnyTraveller likes this.
  2. TSQ

TSQ Member

I use one of these to take the movement out of the drawbar: https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/accessories/hitch/quiet.php I feel it helps - if nothing else it gets rid of the clunking at the hitch.

From my experience your symptoms are more likely to occur on a vehicle with an independent rear suspension (as opposed to a solid axle). There may be kits to help stiffen up your suspension (I use Timbrens in my Odyssey).

Dropping the tongue a little may help.

I would recommend measuring your tongue weight, it is good to know where you are at even if you don't have concerns.

Rik Peery likes this.
  3. DonFromCNY

DonFromCNY New Member

Going back to your original post it seems like you drove mainly on a single road that gave you the push pull sensation. Test drive again on other roads to see if you get the same sensation. It could be the road, especially if it is a concrete road. A few years ago I was driving on the NY Thruway, Interstate 90. Suddenly the trailer started to alternate between pushing and pulling the car to the extent that it was hard to keep the gas pedal steady due to the oscillation. Pulled over twice to check the trailer and everything looked fine. The second time a worker in a highway maintenance truck stopped to offer assistance. He explained that that happened all the time to him when pulling trailers on this section of the highway due to faults in the road and that the sensation would disappear when I passed the next exit (I think it was the Weedsport exit westbound). He also said the road was to be resurfaced soon. The instant I passed the next exit everything was great again and the trailer pulled perfectly smooth. A couple of years later I drove that same route smoothly because it had been resurfaced.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Sometimes if your traveling at optimal speeds on a concreate road the breaks can create oscillation. Speed up or slow down and it will stop. Been there done that.

5. DonFromCNY

DonFromCNY New Member

You just brought up something I never considered at the time. As I said above the oscillation I was experiencing on the highway was so extreme that it was shoving me forward and back in my seat to some extent and making it hard to maintain even pressure on the gas pedal. Since the automatic brake controller in my car would also sense this motion it was probably applying my trailer brakes repeatedly with each of the surges, which was further increasing the oscillation. I think it was just the perfect situation where my small, short, 1500 pound empty weight 2008 Jayco 806 popup found the perfect frequency of road ridges. I have had 2 Jayco 806's with the first being a 1985 model that I bought new. So in 36 years this is the only time that I have ever found the perfect conditions to create this extreme oscillation.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. SouthJerseyCamper

SouthJerseyCamper New Member

For adjusting the star wheel on manual adjusting brakes, the only tool I found that would fit in the tiny hole and make the wheel spin was a spoon from my bicycle tire kit. It fit in the hole perfectly and gave me the adjustments I needed during a new brake install. A standard automobile brake spoon/tool won't fit.
    Thought I'd share that tip.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  7. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Unless your car or brake controller has an anti sway function, it would not do that. If you experience sway you can use the brake activation on the brake controller which will only apply brake on the trailer.

Yes a WD setup would help. But if your spending the money you should consider a system that at least has anti sway built in (not a friction one)

Still think it's just something way too soft