Towing questions

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by drglinski, Aug 26, 2017.

1. drglinski

drglinski New Member

Been around camping my whole life, and tow vehicles, etc...so I've got an idea of what I'm dealing with here...

I've got a 2012 Silverado 1500 (5.3 L) that's rated to tow a GVRW of 6800 lbs...my pop up weighs only 1500 so it doesn't even know it's back there. Question is, it has a tow-haul mode (that no other truck/car/van etc I've ever been in) has. Opinions on using it? I realize what it does is basically eliminate overdrive. The manual states I should use tow-haul mode with heavy loads, and I don't consider 1500 lbs heavy.

What do you think I should do? Use non tow mode (regular drive), get better MPG at the cost of ruining the tranny, or run tow-haul mode w/worse MPG and potentially save the tranny? The book is kinda gray when it comes to towing lighter trailers.

Thanks

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Pull your camper, if the transmission dose not keep shifting stay with that if it keeps jumping from over drive to a lower gear then use the tow hall mode. My 06 F-150 has the 4.6 V 8 I turn the over dive off when pulling my camper but it does weigh almost 3000 lbs. and the back of the truck is loaded with other things (ice chest'bikes,ect...).

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I agree with JP, if you don't use it and it operates to your satisfaction you don't need it. I agree a 1500 pound tow with maybe 150-200 pounds tongue your truck won't even notice it.

4. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Read your owner's manual. I had a '13 Silverado with a 6-speed and the manual stated tow haul not needed for light trailers, but won't hurt if used. It will just reduce the fuel mileage. It does not do away with overdrive gearing; it will just delay shift into OD, as well as change other shift points.

"If charging a remote (non-vehicle) battery, press the Tow/Haul Mode button, if equipped, located at the end of the shift lever. This will boost the vehicle system voltage and properly charge the battery. If the trailer is too light for Tow/Haul Mode, or the vehicle is not equipped with Tow/Haul, turn on the headlamps as a second way to boost the vehicle system and charge the battery."

"Tow/Haul is designed to be most effective when the vehicle and trailer combined weight is at least 75 percent of the vehicle's Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). See “Weight of the Trailer” under Trailer Towing on page 9‑90. Tow/Haul is most useful under the following driving conditions:
    . When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load through
    rolling terrain.
    . When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load in stop-and-go traffic.
    . When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load in busy parking lots where improved low speed control of the vehicle is desired."

Operating the vehicle in Tow/Haul when lightly loaded or with no trailer at all will not cause damage.
    However, there is no benefit to the selection of Tow/Haul when the
    vehicle is unloaded. Such a selection when unloaded may result in unpleasant engine and transmission driving characteristics and reduced fuel economy.

Tow/Haul is recommended only when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load.
    (2012 GM Silverado Owner Manual.)

https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmown...rado_1500/2012_chevrolet_silverado_owners.pdf

I have a maxed out 3000 lbs trailer and have never used tow haul (except one or two times to see how the calibration was changed) even when towing in the mountains, even over steep mtn passes like Teton. However, I do travel with the headlamps On, since this also triggers a higher voltage for the trailer's fridge.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    neighbormike likes this.
  5. KY_Wildcat

KY_Wildcat Member

No reason to drop your gas mileage for that light of a load. I definitely wouldn't use it on the highway, maybe through town if you are going to be doing a lot of stop and goes.

6. drglinski

drglinski New Member

Awesome replies guys. Thanks so much.