Towing Trailers is Dangerous

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Dan from Troup, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

Had a tail heavy junk trailer full of yard waste and stumps pick up the rear end of my subaru. Just as the road was going from 35 to 45. I nearly messed my drawers... turned onto a gravel road and dumped the biggest stumps in the ditch. Drove slowly to the regular disposal site.

2. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

sorry

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Back when I was young(er) and dumb(er), and had little knowledge of towing, we used our then new-to-us utility trailer to pick up some free landscape rock from across the city. Of course I loaded it the easiest way possible, so all of the rock was in the back of the trailer, and little to no load was on the tongue. And... I was towing with a little Pontiac Sunfire which wasn't rated to tow much of anything... I originally had the hitch put on just for a bike rack. Well I was going back home on I-494 (the Minneapolis beltway) and the thing started swaying something fierce. I was able to pull over, assess the situation, and drive slowly home. It wasn't until I did some Googling that I discovered what had caused it.

4. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Did not have trailer brakes on that trailer. That ones gone now. But....the brakeaway on my new flat bed got damaged so this is a good reminder, thanks. Did get new trailer brakes installed on my popup recently with a brakeaway system. That cost me 750.00.

tfischer likes this.
  5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

The torsion axle on my pup needs replacing, so I'm having brakes added right now. New axle and hubs should be coming in any day now, and I have "a guy" lined up to do the install.

6. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

I pull a Cub Scout camp cargo trailer and a Church camp cargo trailer. I run through the check of hook up with my kids watching, I want this to be second nature for them, so they are safe down the road when they tow.

Before we even load the trailer, I check the tires and adjust air. It's an easy check of the trailer to pull it a mile to the service station air pump. With that little test run, and tires properly inflated, we load and go.

Can't remember the thread, but read it hear - and good advice: you may be able to pull 75mph, but that's not necessarily what the trailer tires are rated for.

I pull these camp cargo trailers at 55mph. Easy towing, no worries :)

Spridle likes this.
  7. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

I've had my share of "events" too.
    Had a car we were flat towing, pass us and launch into the cornfield. Car was fine.
    Towing a car with an old F150 and a way too heavy open deck construction trailer. Coming down a hill in the rain, to a stop sign. Completely jacknifed on me. I put my foot back in the gas and pulled it out before it got ugly, but I did not make the stop sign.
    Just this past summer I parked in the camp spot after an 11 hour tow, only to find no pin at all in the drawbar. I have no doubt I put it in, but something happened to it. I use a locking pin now!

8. 1REDBEARD

1REDBEARD Active Member

I will be towing our pup in 5 days i have driven trailers around town but never in an interstate or anything over 50. We will be going over bridges and stuff is there any pre flight things i need to look for? Any tips would be helpful also. Tow vehicle is a 97 Tahoe and trailer does sit level on hitch.

9. Milemaker13

Towing your pup w/ a Tahoe? You'll likely forget its even back there:)
    Thats tip#1... don't forget you have a trailer! (Don't ask how I know)

1REDBEARD likes this.
  10. 1REDBEARD

1REDBEARD Active Member

Well you know everytime someone says dont ask you gotta ask... I take it you have a Tahoe or this turns into a funny story... Hmmm

11. Milemaker13

Ive forgotten i was towing many times. So much that now my wife reminds me at almost every move. Never did cause a major problem.
    A pup shouldnt be an issue because you can see it in your mirrors. I tow one of those little red harbor freight trailers alot and i cant see it in my mirrors.

12. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

When hitching up, lower onto the ball far enough to close the latch, then insert some sort of secure pin. I personally like a locking hitch pin so that I know nobody can mess with it or steal the pup. Then crank back up on the jack till it starts to lift up on the back of the TV. That way you know for sure it’s completely latched on the ball and not coming off.

Then cross the safety chains, hookup up the brake away cable if you have one. Plug in the lights and turn on the headlights and emergency flashers. Walk around the pup and make sure all lights are working.

Inflate the all tires, including the spare to the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall. Make sure the roof latches are all secured.

9D81F7D2-EDC9-4288-B263-B568E506F8B1.jpeg

Milemaker13 and neighbormike like this.
  13. 1REDBEARD

1REDBEARD Active Member

Sweet thanks for the pointers!

14. Yacoma99

Yacoma99 Member

My job requires me to frequently tow boats, lowboys, utility trailers, etc. I like to think I know what I’m doing but things still can happen. I towed a boat for over 4hrs and at the exit ramp for home, the boat trailer jumped the ball. The safety chains did there job and and I got safely off the highway. When I got out and looked the trailer tongue had settled about 1 inch from my truck. The only damage was some wiring on the trailer. Two years, and many boat trips later, I was towing this same boat when it jumped the ball again after a several hour trip. I was lucky a second time and there was no damage but I did replace the trailer tongue just to be safe. Never could figure out why it did that twice. I had a buddy with me each time and we checked that everything was hooked up correctly and the trailer ball was correctly seated. Check, check & recheck all your connections and then cross your fingers and go camping!

15. 1REDBEARD

1REDBEARD Active Member

Are tailer brakes necessary for pop ups?

16. Yacoma99

Yacoma99 Member

Trailer brakes are never a bad thing and the need for having them varies due to trailer weight, tv towing capacity, and other factors. Do a search on the forum and you will find several discussions on the topic.

17. 1REDBEARD

1REDBEARD Active Member

Right on. I will check it out. thank you!

18. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Ours has them, and I like them.
    Oddly enough, my enclosed moto trailer doesn't have brakes and I'm sure if there are two bikes in it that it weighs at least as much, if not more, than my pop up.

Wasn't an issue when towing with a full size truck, but now I'm using a 4Runner so I'm more cautious.