Towing Trailers is Dangerous

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Dan from Troup, Aug 5, 2018.

1. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Smart phone camera in selfie mode works great for visual inspection for those of us with backs that refuse to get down low enough to see under it.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

I find it difficult to tell when you're just taking weight off the rear springs (which will happen even if it's not latched properly) or actually lifting up the rear end.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

If you're using a WDH, to connect properly your raising the rear of the vehicle higher then its unsprung height..

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I usally just eye ball it. But if you cant tell, you can mark the jack stand before lowering it on the tv. After connecting just go higher then the original starting point. Its a bit of a pain, but really the only easy way to be sure your hitched up.

5. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

If in doubt, just keep cranking ;) I usually watch the ball mount. Once the springs are fully unloaded the ball mount shifts up just a bit as it transitions from pushing down to lifting up on the TV. Then I crank a bit more to make sure there’s plenty of upwards pressure and to ensure its fully engaged.

6. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Here’s another thing to think about. Many yrs ago when I was in a pit crew, We got a new tow vehicle so of course we had to have a hitch installed etc. Had it all done by professionals . First race of the yr got all hooked up. Double checked, chains hooked up, lights working etc. Going down the expressway The trailer passes us on the right hits a ditch destroys car and trailer. We get out and look. Trailer hitch broke before the mount For the safety chains!! Hitch company had to buy us a new trailer and modified race car plus replace the hitch. Since then I don’t attach the safety chain and break away cable to the hitch.

7. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Really surprised they did that. Most products make it clear "no incidental or consequential damages covered".

There's literally no other place to hook safety chains on my TV other than the hitch. But at least it was installed at the factory.

8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I've heard the you shouldn't attach the brake to the hitch. That way if the hitch breaks, the trailer brakes will engage.

With clippers, all hitches were added aftermarket. Since the frame doesn't extend all the way to the back of the MH, many people literally bolted the hitch to the wooden boards under the flooring. I had mine checked by a hitch shop, as I was thinking of using a hitch rack to carry firewood, etc. He said anything more than 50lbs and the hitch would fail. Needless to say I don't use it for anything.

9. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

I don't have safety chains on my PUP. I figure if that baby comes lose I have no way to out run it before it tears up my TV No since in the PUP and the TV destroyed right :)>)

10. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

The lack of safety chains is likely not legal, and exposes you to huge lawsuits if your trailer damages other vehicles and persons - especially if one person is pregnant and miscarries after the trauma of the accident. The settlement would be more than the value of your house/car/boat/pup combined.

Toedtoes and WrkrBee like this.
  11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Safety chains are just common sense.

12. Fish N Farm

Anthony and Wrkrbee, I am insured by Smith & Wesson so I don't have to worry about insurance. Also please note smiley face on my post. You were too interested in jumping on someone to pay attention and you have been had:)>) I have had pretty near everything I have read on here happen to be except not latching couplers shut and losing wheels.

13. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

One other reminder.

I was sipping a cold one in a campground somewhere in Tennessee. I watched as a nice young man and his loverly wife discussed excitedly about how to pull into their site. He carefully took about 20 attempts at getting it straight while his DW offered what I'm certain was some very helpful advice. Needless to say by the time he was properly positioned they were frazzled, angry, and my DW appreciated me even more.

Frazzled and angry is not how you should be when you unhook your pup. You might forget something like wheel chocks. Which might cause your pup to roll into your tow vehicle and crunch a light. Those jack wheels are handy but they should be secured. I wasn't certain if I should have offered to help him unstick it because it looked kind of wedged under the bumper.

I hope they are still camping and he has gotten better at backing up.

neighbormike likes this.
  14. Anthony Hitchings

Well, sorry if I took what you wrote at face value and that's not actually what you meant. Being raised in a different country I don't always pick up on Texas humor.

Toedtoes likes this.
  15. Fish N Farm

Anthony, my friend you are gona have to get use to the good ole US of A. Loosen your neck tie, relax, sit back, have a cold one, you are going to be taking heart med's if you are not already. Italians eat a lot garlic, that is supposed to help your blood pressure. Believe nothing of what you hear and only 1/2 of what you see, Unless you hear it from me. If I tell you that a jack rabbit can pull a freight train hook him up. If I tell you that a hen dip's snuff look under her wing and you will find the can. Now the last 2 sentences or like your DAGO tire:)<o) (pervious smiley means BS ok?)

16. Anthony Hitchings

none of my hens ever dipped snuff, I was too cheap to buy it for them.

17. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

I understand that you were kidding about not having safety chains (I think?) but what does smith and wesson have to do with getting sued for not having safety chains?

Toedtoes likes this.
  18. Fish N Farm

Do you know what a Smith & Wesson is?

19. Fish N Farm

Somehow or another I believe that.

20. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Now see what you started,!!
    I will Admit I did miss the smiley face at first.