Towing with a Honda Fit

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by chicopeejim, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Who says ?? Use to have a 5 seat truck and car pooled with 3 other people, truck was a perfect commuter vehicle, much better then us cramming into one of the guys Accord ..

Depends Nothing if Honda says NO TOW, then it's NO TOW!! not it depends ..

Here we go... Using European tow ratings to justify their stupidity.. I have said it before and I'll say it again .. we don't live in Europe.. Last time I checked, living in North America (in this case USA) you have to follow the USA specs..

Well aren't you special ..

2. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

This.

And also check your local criminal laws. If God forbid something should happen and a person should get injured or killed, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the local penal code provided for charges of criminal negligence or recklessness.

3. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

Yet, no one would argue that a pick-up doesn't inherently have the capability to be a daily driver.

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

I did and I actually read the entire contract/binder. Nothing in there.

5. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

Well, if people make claims that you are subject to litigation shouldn't they have any proof for that claim? So far, nothing....

6. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

The manufacturer has stated that the car is not suitable for towing.

Someone is fully aware of this and tows anyway.

I'd say that there's a fair amount of negligence to be found in that scenario.

7. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

Oh yes, and don't forget the civil suits that would result.

A person in this situation would most probably be nailed- and should be praying that they don't live in a state that has punitive damages.

8. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

Well, if that would be the case wouldn't there be at least some cases where a driver got convicted? I did a pretty extensive search online and couldn't find anything. I actually did ask an attorney as well (all though in a more private setting and not and official inquiry) and they told me to their knowledge there are no laws covering this. If you know of any case, please let me know. I have no interest in losing my house etc.

9. idler

idler Member

I have a QS 6.0 and a TV with 2700 lb tow limit. MY car isn't happy with big hills. Your Honda Fit won't work.

10. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

The European tow ratings are proof that towing was at least a requirement in the design specs and that the vehicle body and engine/transmission are capable of towing that weight. Of course I understand that components play a big role but that to me is a set up question. You can enhance your factory suspension and brakes if you need to.

What I always find interesting is how people are hung up on the weight somebody wants to move forward (ie trailer weight). From all I have read and experienced towing moving the weight forward is not all that difficult. If an engine/transmission cannot do that occasionally they were poorly engineered (we are talking occasional towing and not professional all day). The much bigger issue (in particular in the US) is the tongue weight. IMO any vehicle that needs airbags etc to pull a trailer was not properly equipped to support that weight in the first place. So why is that a bigger issue in the US? Trailers are designed differently to support 10-15% tongue weight.

BTW there is no study to support the claim you need 10-15% of tongue weight. At lest I couldn't find any. The only study I could find was showing that up to 60MPH a tongue weight of 6-7% is sufficient which is interestingly also the recommended tongue weight for boats. Anybody knows, why there is a different recommendation for RV and boats? Anyway, from all I understand is, that the higher tongue weight is necessary to pull at US highway speeds. Just to clarify, I don't argue that you should have 10-15% tongue weight if your are towing above 60MPH. So in essence the lower tongue weight in Europe allows for smaller cars pulling heavier trailers.

Why is a truck not a good commuter vehicle? It uses more gas, is a worse handling vehicle by design, increases the likelihood to either seriously hurt or even kill pedestrians and cyclists (again that comes with the design), requires more parking space etc. It may be more comfortable though.

Trucks and sedans are multi purpose vehicles. Usually they are designed to shine in one or two categories but that doesn't mean they cannot be used in other areas. It's a multi purpose tool and as with any other multi purpose tool one will have to compromise using them.

I have posted this video before and unfortunately I couldn't find anything similar for any pickup truck. Keep in mind this video is done with less than 7% tongue weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H65PMTcXOU

The emergency lane change are done at about 40 or 45 MPH. I have tried hard to find a video showing a pick up doing similar maneuvers while towing and couldn't find any. if you do know of any, please post them.

Oh, and yes, I am special. Very special. [:D]

11. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

What? [LOL] [:O] [?:~{] [?:~{] [?:~{] [:!] [:!] [:!] [V]

12. bldmtnrider

bldmtnrider Member

I used to be a forensic engineer and we worked on several civil cases of vehicles towing and being loaded outside of their weight rating. They are bread and butter cases, easy to win, simple math and once the plaintiff's lawyer says "by driving outside of the manufacturer specs you endangered my client and everyone else on the road ..." the jury has pretty much made up their mind. We have all seen those people, they have frustrated us, and for a select few people out there they get their revenge as a member of the jury. I've seen a few criminal cases and they usually end with some misdemeanor convictions.

Minimalist, what really blows my mind is there are people like you there encouraging a decision to exceed ignore limits and potentially endangering others around them. Doesn't get much more irresponsible than that. I guess being responsible for another persons death isn't that big of a deal to someone if the max penalty is misdemeanor.

I have a Honda Fit, or at least my wife does, and I can tell you first hand that thing is barely capable of climbing a hill with camping gear in the back let alone pulling anything that resembles a trailer. They are efficient, easy to park, cheap people movers, but not Tow Vehicles.

13. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

^^ Yes, sir. Mmm, hmm. The thread is now closed due to the facts and laws of nature and the universe that we inhabit. And now let us pursue higher rationale and discourse.

14. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

15. tsc

tsc Member

I'm not going to weigh in (haha) on this topic.

But, that being said, there are people who are in the RV industry, who scoff at OEM ratings. Unless, the RV dealership is going to insure me and cover everything I am liable for, it's not going to happen (and even if they do, I'm sure I still wouldn't cross that line).

Anyway, have a read at the link below and see what he's done in the videos.

http://www.canamrv.ca/towing-expertise/

16. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

All this discussion and not any word from the OP.

17. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

My in laws tow a trailer with their Fit all the time. Usually it is a small 4x8 Harbor Freight trailer that weighs about 300 pounds, plus less than 1,000 pounds of cargo. They tow this back and forth from PA to MI a couple of times each year, not to mention local towing. They have also rented small enclosed Uhaul trailers. I know people don't like to see European tow ratings on here, because this is 'merica. But seriously, are Americans too stupid to tow with small cars? I don't think so.

Just about ANY car can tow an 800 pound pup safely.

Sent from my iPhone

18. edh

edh Active Member

19. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

People are going to do what they want, frequently flying in the face of obvious common sense. I choose to tow a 2,000lb camper with a 6,000lb vehicle because I like that weight ratio and the PUP has never even tried to control the action. I have been through emergency braking situations, a recent tire blowout, serious hill climbs and descents and rough forest service roads and not once have I had to worry about my TV being too light to control the situation. That's the way I like it.

I just did a Google image search using the words Honda Fit Towing.......... wholly censored!
    [​IMG]

20. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

This assumes that the Euro Fit and the NA Fit are identical. Not often the case.