Towing with a Honda Fit

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by chicopeejim, Aug 17, 2016.

1. BigAdm

BigAdm Member

I wouldnt

2. Ryanm

Ryanm Member

Our old 1% Doctrine applies here: If there's a 1% chance of something bad happening for any reason, you need to buy a TV that can shrug it off by a large margin.

But seriously, I work at a dealership and I watch how factories behave over the years. They don't design cars that can't tow, it's just sometimes in their interest to not "enable the feature" so they can sell something else.

3. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

If a deer bolts across in front of you and evasive maneuvers ensue while you are loaded close to, or at your max capacity. All the weekend camp fun goes flying out the window. (literally) Same if an elderly or kids, pull onto the road just in front of you. The need for evasive maneuvers while towing any heavy load is why we prefer to stay far below maximum capacity. Do note, adding brakes is not a panacea and does not help with quick maneuvering.

Our vacations and camping are about fun, not daringly towing at max.

4. Flying Labs

Flying Labs Member

So a 3/4 ton is still not enough, I'd better get a Freightliner M2 for my pup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Ryanm

Ryanm Member

The Freightliner might do it. The only times I ever towed overweight were when all I had was a puny little 5 ton. It got scary sometimes.

On the other hand, when I get to pick what the load is, I can also pick an appropriately sized TV. Big load gets a big truck, medium load gets the minivan, small load gets a small car.

6. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

for a minute I laughed at the imagination in my mind... a freightliner towing Quicksilver. Talk about over kill.

Just get a vehicle with a tow package that will tow just fine with a piece of mind.

7. Arlyn Aronson

We own a 6.0 and tow it with a 1500lb rated Honda Element. It tows it quite well, handles the weight good so the margins of safety are where we appreciate them. We also normally bring quite a load of junk with us. [;)] Nonetheless, if anyone cares to tow there's with a Golf, Cruze, Focus or Dart. Go for it. We'll not be riding with you anyway.

8. fix_it

fix_it Member

Do I need trailer brakes or will the Freightliner be pushed through a red light?

Maybe we should all be towing with an army tank just in case we blow a trailer tire. Don't wanna be pulled into the ditch.

9. Flying Labs

Flying Labs Member

You'll need electric over hydraulic brakes either way.

10. BigAdm

BigAdm Member

Okay so here's how it works....The little cars might tow the campers.....but it burns the transmission out 3x faster...So if you don't care about buying a new car much much sooner than go for it....Not to mention the serious implications if you have to do an emergency turn or break quickly

11. Ryanm

Ryanm Member

I'm with you on that- I wouldn't tow anything more than a bike rack in a little car with an automatic.

My little 1.5l has 117 whole horsepower and has to move a whole bunch of weight. I wouldn't want to go out on the roads with the car empty if I had to filter that power through an automatic, much less loaded and towing. Of course, even doing regular driving with an automatic is going to burn out your transmission faster than having a simple box of gears.

12. Arlyn Aronson

All I commented on was the handling or safety factor, of tow vehicles with heavier loads. You see we've towed loads at max and won't do it again. But that's us, not anyone else.

Seems automatic transmissions have been much improved and pretty dependable, at least when not abused. Still they rob 12 to 15% your vehicles HP.

13. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

Pushed thru a light or not, if that freightshaker has a DOT number on it, or the LEO thinks it should, it can be stopped for a roadside safety inspection. If there are no brakes on the trailer all weight on that axle is added to the others. If that puts the others over the legal limit, driver will get a ticket. If that trailer has brakes, and they are not hooked up/don't work, then the truck and trailer is out of service, can not be driven until fixed. Plus a fine must be paid...

14. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Yet, many manufacturers rate vehicles with manual transmissions to tow very little, if at all vs the same vehicle with an automatic. They are afraid the clutch can't handle it, whereas an automatic has a torque converter to help with starts. And that's if you can even find a car or truck with a manual available. Sadly, Americans just don't want to buy a manual anymore. They are relegated to either econoboxes to keep a lower advertised starting price or true sporty models.

15. Flying Labs

Flying Labs Member

A pop up putting an M2 over weight? :rolleyes:

How many vehicles pulling campers do you see with DOT numbers? RVs are NOT commercial vehicles, and the laws written for commercial vehicles do not apply.

16. Ryanm

Ryanm Member

Help, as in "I'm from the government and I'm here to help." [;)]

Our first four years with our pop up were with an MT Xterra. Having real gears in the mountains helps a lot. We got rid of it at 217k, and it drove away with the original clutch still doing fine.

17. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

A pretty small percentage, but likely more than you do. There are companies that will move a plant into a area, pave some of the streets and hiways, pack up and move to another. A percentage of the people use RVs as living space. It is not uncommon the drivers to tow campers behind dumptruck. Not many use PUP, but most have a controller hooked up in the truck.

Well, I think that might depend on what else was on the truck. A friend of mine works a 379/24 foot East. Mounts BC on camper, controlled by brakelight circuit of East, powered by house battery. With the tractor/short trailer he is legal at like 68000 lbs. Camper weighs about 6000, the extra length and axles allow him to gross 80000 with the right tires. He picked up a legal load of material, than hooked up to the camper. Road side safety check. Weighed everything, tires good for camper, all good until they found the brakes on the camper where not working! Now that tractor pulling my 39 foot Mate or any trailer that long or longer would be okay at 80000 if loaded right, now at 74000 is $535 over weight, plus out of service until he hardwired around the fuse, plus the fine for brakes.

This is a given. And some of the laws that do apply to RVs are not enforced because they are violated so often enforcement would overload the system. And IMHO, some of the CMV laws should apply to RVs, and other trailers.

I once watched a full sized van towing a trailer sliding down the hill threw a red light into the front of my 2nd truck that was setting dead stopped in the oncoming left turn lane. My truck was weighed, the van was not.(Lawyer got the LEO to admit on stand the truck was not over gross, and getting hit hard enough to move the axle could of relocated the load, and the weight of the truck did not cause the accident.) There was mention in the report that the brakes on the trailer where not hooked up. (I showed my donkey until LEO looked at the 4 to 7 adapter). Now my driver, setting in a LTL9000, with a GVW of about 43 tons was not even shook up. What about somebody in a 4300 lb car?

18. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

19. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Just to be a pain in the butt, I see this almost everyday. It's because that's how they deliver the larger campers to the dealer.

But I do see guys using they're work trucks to pull their camper, and some of them have DOT numbers.

20. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

Not sure the clutch is the only factor. Unless it goes real quick, the clutch, like brake pads are "wear items", not covered under warranty. A planetary gear set, the torque is transmitted thru more gear teeth at a time when compared to main-shaft/countershaft of the manual. Add that to reduce drag they have gone to thin oils that don't protect as well in the high pressure points like between gear teeth...

And the small trailers that may not have brakes are likely hauled in on trailers that do...