Towing with a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by black bonnie, Nov 13, 2016.

1. black bonnie

black bonnie New Member

Really want a new PUP upgrade from my 2001 Coleman Santa Fe. Been looking at a 2017 Flagstaff Highwall 27sc. My TV is a 2013 Jeep Rubicon 4 door and I cannot afford a TV payment AND a camper payment! Tow capacity is 3500lbs and the 27sc comes in at 3182lbs - cutting it close I know. Mostly camp around eastern NC and SC so no hillclimbs in my immediate future. Any thoughts? I obviously don't get on here too often as I have never posted before but I would appreciate any thoughts anyone may have about pushing my limits too far. Thanks ahead of time.

2. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Personally, I would not do it. You have to take into account the weight of cargo and passengers in your jeep and reduce your towing capacity by that amountYou also did not mention if it was dry weight or gross weight on the trailer

3. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

no

4. bryce0lynch

bryce0lynch Member

I'm not sure this is correct information. He does not need to reduce his Jeeps 3500# tow rating by the weight of his cargo and passengers in the tow vehicle. His 3500# capacity relates solely to the weight being towed, which he states is 3182#. His Gross Combined WOULD include the weight of the passengers and cargo in the TV. And he hasn't asked about that.

The devil here is in the 3128# number. If this is the actual measured weight of the trailer from the scales then he can tow it fine, according to Jeep, with no warranty issues, assuming he's read his documentation correctly. Assuming the tongue weight is ok. And the frontal area. And the Gross Combined. And the axle loads for all three axles. And the Max load for the trailer.

5. West Coast Canuck

6. bryce0lynch

bryce0lynch Member

Yes?

He listed his maximum tow rating? And I think you replied with either GVWR or GCWR? In no case is the Maximum tow rating reduced by the weight of the cargo and passengers in the TV, as I understand it?

7. Ryanm

Ryanm Member

Count the tongue weight as vehicle cargo weight, and remember that the factory rating is 3500# with weight distributing equipment. Without the equalizers it's 2000#.

Don't confuse being able to pull a weight with being able to tow the same weight.

8. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

He is giving us the UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight)*

Which is the typical weight of the unit as manufactured at the factory. It includes all weight at the unitÂ’s axle(s) and tongue or pin and LP Gas. The UVW does not include cargo, fresh potable water, additional optional equipment or dealer installed accessories.
    *Estimated Average based on standard build optional equipment.

That is a huge trailer to be pulling with a small wheelbase Jeep

9. chambo

chambo Active Member

If by "maximum tow rating" you are referring to the number of pounds the TV is rated to tow, then you are correct. Don't confuse max tow rating with GCWR (gross combined weight rating). GCWR is the sum of all weights from the TV, trailer, cargo, people, fluids, etc. If you were to load up for a camp trip and stop off at a truck scale on the way, that would be your gross combined weight. That number needs to be under your GCWR. It is possible to be under your trailers GVWR but still be over your GCWR. This would indicate that you've over packed. :)

I've read on here a few times where people think that the total trailer weight needs to be deducted from the TV GVWR. Not true. The trailer weight needs to be factored in to the GCWR, not the TV GVWR. It seems that there is often confusion between the two. Tongue weight, however, counts against the TV CCC and TV GVWR.

10. black bonnie

black bonnie New Member

Thanks for all the replies. I knew I would get a few fairly quickly. 1) I really appreciate the opinions 2) I know it is a HUGE popup 3) I am going to do additional research on the tongue weight, etc. 4) the 3182lbs is the DRY WEIGHT. I always camp where I can hook up and therefore never fill my tanks. I usually pack just the usual stuff like folding chairs, linens, food and clothes for the trip. I think I may hit the 3500lb mark (which is my limit) according to Chrysler.

I will log back in after I have done more research and let you all know what I have come up with. I really want a high wall popup but don't want to sacrifice my family's safety. AND can't get rid of the Jeep because we actually go off-roading and do the "Jeep thing". Thanks again to all.

11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Here's the deal with dry weight. That may not include the AC unit, battery, propane tanks, upgraded fridge, or anything that may be classified as an option in the unit. The real world weight or even the delivery weight is the best number to work with if you don't want to use the gross weight. I personally wouldn't want to risk it. My family has already driven one car to an early grave when we towed at limit in addition to using the car as a daily driver. You mentioned your Jeep is an off road Jeep as well. Do you have any upgrades/mods on it that could add weight you may need to consider within your numbers?

12. Ryanm

Ryanm Member

Yeah, any mods to the suspension or tires are going to change its ride characteristics even without towing.

I've only ever gad one popup so I haven't got a clue, but what's special about a high wall one?

13. Buick Guy

Buick Guy Member

Personally I would look for a lighter trailer.

I have an 08 JKU with 35's, bumpers, winch, sliders and other gear, it is a pig and with the 3.8 it is under powered. We were towing a Yuma with it and it did great until you hit any kind of incline with the trailer and then it was screaming to go anywhere and the Yuma is probably half the weight you are looking at. I know you have the 3.6 and it is better on power but not that much better. After several trips with the Jeep I decided it was time to retire it to just sunny days and Off-roading before I killed it. I picked up a slightly used F150 for towing the camper.

14. black bonnie

black bonnie New Member

Here is what I have determined and what I have decided (if anyone cares!) The HW popup is about 300lbs under my max tow weight. The tongue weight is right around the 350lbs max for my jeep with a weight distributing hitch. So I CAN do it with the Jeep, however, I will be very close to the max weights and won't allow me to travel to the mountains with it if I chose. PLUS I don't want to have early onset driveline issues. SO.....I have decided to forego the HW and get a regular popup with all the options my family wants and needs. Thanks for all the advice - all great points and a learning experience for me.

P.S. The PentaStar 3.6 is has tons of power and pulls my current popup anywhere like its not even there. Can't say enough about the PentaStar. This is my 3rd and my wife's 5th Jeep and is by far the best Jeep we have owned. If anyone is contemplating a jeep purchase and will use it off road the Rubicon model is THE ticket to your off-roading joy. 4/1 transfer case, lockers front & rear, Dana 44's front & rear, skids plates and steel rock rails. It is simply an amazing vehicle straight from the factory. I completed the Rubicon Trail this summer and was simply amazed at what a jeep is capable of doing with very little aftermarket (we have a 2 inch lift only) - It's just awesome. THANKS TO ALL.

15. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Good decision and good luck [8D]

16. Ryanm

Ryanm Member

We've got a minivan wrapped around our 3.6 and it doesn't even breather hard with a/c, a full load and our trailer crammed full of stuff.

17. West Coast Canuck

Good decision, I know it was a tough one to make. I have a Dodge 1/2 ton 4x4 with a &200 tow capacity and my trailer is 5500 lbs GVW. On the flats it tows great, I can pull off the line and keep up with traffic easily. On the hills it tows great too and I can maintain the Hwy speed limit and can still pass slow moving vehicles with no problems but I feel it back there. On some long hills, my engine will hit 4000 rpms so I usually back off the gas a bit to drop the rpms...get it up that high and my gas needle stays to go the other way... On your Rubicon, my BIL has a 2012 4 dr, he absolutely loves it. I have a 2016 Jeep Cherokee KL 4x4 with the 3.2 with the tow package rated for 4500 lbs and I absolutely love it too.