Towing with a subaru 2009 forester

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by TGreek, Feb 25, 2015.

1. TGreek

TGreek New Member

Hi Everyone, I have a rockwood pop up trailer 1940LTD with specs below:

• Hitch Weight 174 lbs.
    • Base Weight 1493 lbs.
    • GVWR 2274 lbs.
    • Cargo Capacity 762lb
    • Box Size 10
    • Exterior Open Width 20.1
    • Exterior Closed Length 14
    • Exterior Closed Height 4.8

My Subaru towing rate is 2400lb with electric brakes.
    My question is:
    1. Can I save tow the above trailer?
    2. How must extra weight I can add(Food, water, chairs,....) on the trailer
    so I can not exceed the 2400lb?
    3. When Subaru says 2400lb tow capacity this includes also the passangers in the car?

I will appreciate any help

Thank you

2. WHEELBURNS

WHEELBURNS New Member

Generally you have to include cargo and passenger weights. The previous owner of our pop up (starcraft comet 817) used a Forester and stated it did a great job. The 817 has an unloaded weight of 1,350 lbs.

3. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I've owned two Foresters and frankly, I wouldn't tow with either of them. The numbers all look good, UNTIL you factor in the weights of: your gear (both in the car AND the pup), yourself & any passengers. I had a 12' Starcraft, so there was no way I could tow with my Forester.

But even with your lighter unit, depending on the additional weights, you will probably be very close to the 'safe zone', if not over it.

I remember asking a rep at Subaru and they were like, "oh sure sure, you can tow that...". I was at least 1,500lbs OVER factory limits, and wanted to see what they'd say. I'd trust the folks on here before I would a car salesman! LOL

Good luck in working things out!!

[:D]

4. WannaTravel

WannaTravel Member

^^^ X 2 with RotnMom

I was seriously considering that vehicle in 2012 and almost purchased one, but that tow capacity was just too tight for me. After admitting it was too tight, I resumed my search and went with the Toyota RAV4 V6, with a 3500# capacity.

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

[{:)] Welcome from southeast Connecticut. Happy and safe camping. Glad you stopped by PopUp Portal. [CP]

6. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Welcome from to the Neighborhood, from Alabama! I would not be comfortable towing with that vehicle.

7. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Welcome and no, I would not tow with that vehicle.

8. TGreek

TGreek New Member

Hi Everyone there!

Yesterday I had to go to pick my trailer(Rockwood 194 LTD 2015) and I can say I had a very good trip back home.
    I drove about 200km and I can say the Subaru handles very well the trailer (with electric brakes).
    I reach 100km/hr I did not try higher and the trailer was moving very smooth. I was the only passenger and the trailer was empty.

The only thing I notice the trailer is wider than the Subaru and you need extended mirror for more safety.
    I will keep you posted when I will have my first trip up north late June.

Thank you

9. jman1200

jman1200 http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/jmanotas/

1. I would.
    2. You have a ~762 lb capacity for your gear, water and food. Even if you max it out, you'd be below your TV's 2400 lb rating. As per the TV, manufacturers usually set their limits low for liability (lots of discussion about this in this forum), at the end you decide if you want to tow close or above it.
    3. Apparently not. The 2010 manual states that the 2400 lb apply to the trailer (see page 8.18) however, check your GVWR on the driver's side door (see page 8.19).

Be careful how you distribute the load in the PUP, you are very close to the TV's max tongue capacity (200 lb - see page 8.20).

Source
    http://www.subaru.ca/content/7907/Media/General/download/Manuals/English/MSA5M1003A_Forester_OM.pdf

10. TGreek

TGreek New Member

THANK YOU for all these information's in details.

THANK YOU!

11. DanLee

DanLee Member

I tow with both my wife's 2008 and my 2011 Forester with no problems. However, our camper's dry weight is under 1,000 lbs (1991 Coleman Columbia). I wouldn't want to try anything heavier, especially considering that the camper doesn't have its own brakes!

Dan

12. TGreek

TGreek New Member

Regarding the Forester 2009 tongue capacity (200 lbs) I have a question as for first time Towing a trailer.

I have install a III class hitch, with Max tongue capacity 350 lbs. This means that I have increase the Forester Tongue weight
    to 350 lbs or not (still remains 200 lbs as per Subaru specifications)?

Thank you

13. jman1200

Just to clarify, usually:
    Class II is 300/350 tongue and up to 3500 lb.
    Class III is 500 tongue and up to 5000 lb.
    Not sure what you got.

I'd look at it this way, a class II is rated for at least 3500 lb and by installing it doesn't mean you have increased your TV's capability.
    The limitation could be on the vehicle's frame or could be on the factory installed hitch (if any), very hard to know.

Load your PUP and weigh your tongue, you might be ok. Remember your tongue weight should be 10-15% of your PUP's gross weight.

I don't know if the listed tongue weight for your PUP is for the dry or gross weight [?:~{], maybe someone else can step in and answer this....

14. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Just because the receiver can handle 350lbs does not mean your vehicle can. You can put a 500lb class IV on it but you can still only have 200lbs.

15. AlcHemIE

AlcHemIE New Member

Just adding my opinion in here... I tow with a 2012 outback (similiar vehicle) and my pup is 1680lbs dry. I did install electric brakes with a proportional controller. I understand that subaru of america lists it as a #2400lb rating, yet this model in other countries is rated closer to #3000 (dont recall for sure, a .pdf of a overseas owners manual on subaruoutback.org was the source for that) So i'm okay getting close to that number.

I know it should go without saying, but just drive sensibly. Just remember that you have somthing heavy on the back of your car, and account for that.

My biggest complaint about the subaru as my TV (which doesnt apply to your forester, but i'll say it anyway [;)]) is the CVT tranny. I've taken, low grade hills in my subie and somtimes i feel like the motor is going to explode. My mechanic buddies nicknamed the early nissan CVT's "engine killers" because they would rev so high, for so long. So IMHO, a CVT would be the weak point on a TV. Luckily not many people have them.

If you feel you're getting too close to that number for comfort, take the time and re-evaluate what you pack in the car/trailer. You'd be amazed how fast you can shed 100lbs.

EDIT: When i said " i'm okay getting close to that number.." I'm refereing the #2400 MAX SOA gives.

16. TGreek

TGreek New Member

According that the tongue weight should be 10-15% of the PUP's gross weight.

If my PUP's gross weight is the MAX: 2400 lbs., then the tongue weight is 240 lbs.!
    This means I can not tow the trailer because I am over 40 lbs. of the Forester tongue weight limit 200 lbs)

I am a little confuse with all these number! are my calculations correct or not?

Thank you all

17. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Correct, you would be exceeding the weight rating by 40 or more lbs.

18. jman1200

Your trailer is ~1500 lb dry.
    Your tongue weight capacity is 200 lb (assuming the frame is the limiting factor).
    To keep your tongue weight at 10% your max. gross weight should be 2000 lb. This means you can carry up to ~500 lb of stuff (going by the book [;)]).

19. TGreek

TGreek New Member

So, why Subaru says that the Max tow capacity is 2400 lbs.?
    This comes to a conflict with the tongue weight, correct or it is something different?

Sorry about all these questions, just I want to make all these clear to me

Thank you for all your help

20. AlcHemIE

AlcHemIE New Member