Towing with a subaru 2009 forester

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by TGreek, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. TGreek

TGreek New Member

Re: Towing with a subaru 2009 forester/Tongue capacity

Hi everyone, any comments about the answer from the trailer dealer about my tongue weight?

Hi, I was looking my Subaru Forester 2009 owners manual today and I found out that tongue max weight is 200 lbs.

The trailer hitch weight is 174 lbs and I am sure weight more now with full gas trunk and battery.

If my understanding and my calculation are correct I am close and maybe above the max tongue weight and this without any camping gear! Can you help me please with my concerns? Is it save to tow this trailer?

3. TGreek

TGreek New Member

Hi everyone, any comments about the answer from the trailer dealer about my tongue weight?
    ___________________________________________________________ __________
    Here is my email to the Trailer dealer:

Hi, I was looking my Subaru Forester 2009 owners manual today and I found out that tongue max weight is 200 lbs.

The trailer hitch weight is 174 lbs and I am sure weight more now with full gas trunk and battery.

If my understanding and my calculation are correct I am close and maybe above the max tongue weight and this without any camping gear! Can you help me please with my concerns? Is it save to tow this trailer?
    ___________________________________________________________ ___________
    Here is the trailer dealer answer:
    Hi
    The hitch we put on your Subaru is good for 400 lb tongue it is a class 3 the factory hitch is a class 2 lower weight rating everything is ok and safe.

4. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

STUPID reply....You can put a 500lb Class IV hitch on Prius and that does not mean it can tow something with a 500lb tongue weight

5. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Speckhunter is spot on.

6. jman1200

jman1200 http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/jmanotas/

Put on your lawyer hat and read again the dealer's reply... "THE HITCH we put on your Subaru is good for 400 lb tongue...." They are clearly not saying that the vehicle can handle it.

So I guess this answers the question as if the 200 lb limit was due to the hitch or the frame, apparently it was the factory installed hitch.

TGreek, this info should give you more confidence to slightly go over a 200 lb tongue weight.

7. TGreek

TGreek New Member

I do not understand why Subaru on the owner manual does not refer that, the 200lbs max tongue capacity is for factory class II hitch.
    This does not make sense to me...

Anyway, Thank you all

8. JeffC

JeffC New Member

The tongue weight specs have little to do with the hitch. The spec is what the vehicle will safely do. The hitch class is what the hitch will safely do if on a vehicle that will do it. Putting a heavier hitch on will reduce available tongue weight just by the weight difference in the hitch. TW has to do mostly with suspension capability.

9. jman1200

I don't disagree with what you are saying and we (in this thread, maybe just me [?:~{]) wondered if the 200 lb limit stated in the catalog was a hitch or a frame (TV) restriction.

Since the dealer stated that the limitation was due to the factory installed hitch, we could assume that now that he has a class III hitch, he can slightly go over the 200 lb limit. If he doesn't exceed his PUP gross weight of 2274 lb and adjusts his tongue weight to 10-11%, he will be between 227 and 250 lb.

You also bring up a good point around the suspension, he might be better off installing a light duty WDH.

10. JeffC

JeffC New Member

It just doesn't make sense that they would put a hitch on that won't handle the vehicle rating. There's almost no difference in price. It would be like putting tires on that won't carry the GVAR.

11. hiker74

hiker74 Member

Tongue weight in this situation has nothing to do with the class of the hitch; its about the vehicle and a lot of it is due to the suspension set up. Likely the tongue weight for hitches is based on the weight that could be placed on the hitch considering a hitch that does not move with the suspension of the vehicle. A Subaru is so plush in the back that weight on the hitch causes you to be signalling aliens with your headlights if you get much past 200# [:)C]

12. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Hitch manufacturers make a variety of hitches which are changed slightly for the vehicle they are put on.
    The tongue weight for the hitch is based on the design of the hitch and steel used.
    It cannot be exceeded, however you cannot exceed the vehicle manufacturers limitation of 200 lbs due to vehicle construction.
    The limiting number will always be the lower of the two and can never exceed the vehicle manufacturers limitations.
    Hope that clarifies it.

13. AlcHemIE

AlcHemIE New Member

Don't think that vehicle is designed for a WDH

14. jman1200

Not sure if you read the whole thread, the question is, which is the limiting factor here (considering the factory setup), the hitch or the vehicle?
    I agree that if it is the vehicle, it shouldn't be exceeded but according to what the dealer said, the limitation was the factory hitch.

15. JeffC

JeffC New Member

The vehicle.

16. Storm Trooper

I read the thread, but no matter what the dealer says, Subaru says on page 8-20 the MAXIMUM tongue weight is 200 lbs. There are no and's, if's, but's or asterisks. They also say tongue weight should be 8 to 11 % of the trailer GVWR. A 2400lb trailer at 8% it would be 192 lbs.

17. hiker74

hiker74 Member

Please don't lose sight that there are indeed trailers out there that are well below the 200# tongue weight. Lets try and help the original poster. A Subaru is a totally capable tow vehicle. I've seen many people on here counsel others like this who are considering towing a popup with a car or non-truck/truck based SUV or Van not to use it as a tow vehicle. We should be helping them find something to tow vs. telling them to trade their TV an F-150 or silverado! The fact is that popup campers have pigged out in the last 10 years! Most of them in the past were super light and could be towed with virtually anything. The manufacturers knew that their market was for people who didn't have a big truck and wanted a way to go camping without being on the ground. The popup craze that started in the 60's and 70's usually had a station wagons or sedans towing them. The issue that people want more bells and whistles has been heard by the manufacturers so much that they've converted their entire lineup to piggies over 1600lbs dry or they state a dry weight of 1300 lbs but you cant really buy one because they have mandatory packages like bars for roof AC, etc that get you over 1500 lbs. Gross weight over 2000 is standard/minimum these days.

We should instead be pointing people like this to models that truly make sense; models that don't make them have to change their tow vehicle situation. Look to the 1990's and you'll still find popups that were light and had light tongue weights, but still were good quality units. 1990's-2000's considerations: Jayco Qwest 8, Coleman Destiny Series, Fleetwood Cobalt.. As for brand new what is out there is sparse but consider the Livin' Lite Quicksilver 8.0 and 8.1 and 10.0, Palomino Basecamp 8U, Starcraft Starflyer 8... Other options that still get you off the ground that might not be what we are all used to are 1960's Apache tent campers like the Eagle, Falcon and Golden Buffalo. These units still get you off the ground, you can store your camping gear in, etc. There are also options like the Lifetime Tent Trailer and the Sylvan Go...These are still step ups from sleeping on the ground as well as in my opinion even better more convenient in that you can store your gear in and keep the weight in back of you instead of on the back of the tow vehicle.

http://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2003-qwest-ct/

http://www.nadaguides.com/rvs/1995/coleman

http://www.livinlite.com/8.0-floorplans.php

18. handdydaddy

handdydaddy Active Member

Well said hiker74. Seems like most people on this site feel you have to drive a semi in order to tow a pop up.

19. Storm Trooper

hiker74,
    You've missed the point completely.
    The OP has already bought the pup and has the TV.
    He was asking whether or not he could safely tow the pup as his situation is now.
    It would be his decision which to upgrade.
    It is of the up most importance to stay within the limits of your TV for yourself, your family and others on the road around you.
    Too big a TV can hurt you in the wallet, too small a TV can hurt you period.
    I think most members here who have experience in towing trailers will err on the side of too much TV.
    In my years here, I have yet to see someone recommend towing a pup with a semi.

20. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I don't want you not having that experience Lou [LOL] [LOL] [:O]

Tgreek, a Kenworth W900 would pull your camper nicely.