Towing with jeep wrangler

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by AAAUGIE, Feb 3, 2019.

1. AAAUGIE

AAAUGIE New Member

Does anyone have any experience towing with a small jeep cj, wrangler etc.?
    I have a 91 wrangler with 6 cylinder and a 89 jayco 807 sd. I usually tow with my full size chevy pickup and don't even know it's back there. I have not towed anything with the jeep yet. Any comments, stories good or bad would be much appreciated.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I have a 89 with a 258 six and a 4 inch left with 32 inch tires. I tow a utility trailer with a four wheeler. The load is probably about 1300 lbs. It does fine with it. I probably wouldn't go much heavier, considering the tow rating for a stock set up is 2k.

AAAUGIE likes this.
  3. AAAUGIE

AAAUGIE New Member

4. AAAUGIE

AAAUGIE New Member

Cool that's pretty much the same set up as me I've got 33s and 4 inch lift. My little jayco probably weighs about what you tow, maybe a little more loaded. Thanks for the response.

5. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

I tow with a 1998 Jeep Cherokee with the 6 cylinder. My camper is probably 600 lbs loaded and I don't even feel it back there most of the time. The Jeep Cherokee is also stated to be able to handle up to 5k lbs towing.

AAAUGIE likes this.
  6. AAAUGIE

AAAUGIE New Member

7. AAAUGIE

AAAUGIE New Member

Thanks, that is a sweet little camper.
    I think ill be fine too, just never towed with such a short wheel base as my jeep (just got it). Also it's lifted, hoping it's not too squirrely but I really only tow the pop up on small highways and back roads.

8. tcbrady

tcbrady Member

I tow our fairly large PUP (~ 3.5k lbs) with a 2017 Wrangler Unlimited, granted it's a bit bigger than the two doors of the past but it definitely pulls with ease. I also have 33" tires and a 2.5" lift. This spring will be the first time pulling with the lift installed, so I'm curious as to how it feels but I have confidence it won't feel much different.

AAAUGIE likes this.
  9. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I've got an 85 CJ7 (mostly an 85 anyways) with 4in lift and 35s with a freshened 6cyl and "hot" ignition. I used to tow the tip deck with 2 smaller Hondas foremans on it - no problem. We use to pull our 1984 pup with a 4cyl ranger. Sort of the same world because you'll never see top gear but you can pull on fine.

AAAUGIE likes this.
  10. Overland

Overland Active Member

Didn't realize there were so many modified Jeeps here..

AAAUGIE, if you were to search around for someone parting a Wrangler with a 4cyl you could swap in front and rear axles to help out with the towing and larger tires. You should have 3:07 ratio unless already done whereas the 4cyl should have a 4:10 ratio.

[o!!!o]

J Starsky likes this.
  11. AAAUGIE

AAAUGIE New Member

Yeah cool to see so many jeeps on here, one of the reasons I got it a pop up and jeep seem like a perfect match. I'm not sure of my gear ratios yet, it does have an 8.8 rear and lockers already so someone's been in it before. Going to change fluids after it warms up and should know then.

Overland likes this.
  12. Overland

Overland Active Member

Sounds like you already have the gearing issue taken care of with the 8.8 swap..

Jeep's and camping.. and your in a great area.

AAAUGIE likes this.
  13. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Im afraid to tow with my jeep lol. Pup is larger and the jeep is not as smooth as the pick up. Wish you guys well, my jeep will just be a shore jeep!

AAAUGIE likes this.
  14. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I think the rear ends of the Jeep Wranglers is a bit on the small size. Not much beef there and may wear out on you. My 99 Jeep Wrangler did this on me just pulling a large utility trailer back and forth around the state here in Virginia... I got my 99 jeep used and I think the previous owner used the Jeep to tow a boat trailer a lot...

Had to replace the gears... I never tried to pull my 2008 StarCraft RT14 trailer with it...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

15. xxxapache

I don't believe you are going to prematurely wear out a differential if you are towing no more than the load the vehicle is rated for... Wranglers of the OP's vintage have Dana 35 rear ends. Axle breakages in them are common with oversized tires and a heavy right foot.

A lot of differential trouble comes from water in the gear oil.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  16. AAAUGIE

AAAUGIE New Member

Mine did come stock with Dana 30 but was upgraded with a ford 8.8 inch rear. I think I'll be ok my pup is under 1000 lb. Dry. It's a toy anyway not my daily driver. If it breaks ill fix it. I'll just have to see how it goes. Can't wait till summer to try it.

17. Overland

Overland Active Member

Wranglers came with a Dana 30 front axle, and a Dana 35 rear axle. The same rear axle installed on a Cherokee with a higher tow rating. A Ford 8.8 rear axle is an upgrade intended for the stresses of offroading with larger tires.

You shouldn't have issues with either to be honest.. unless periodic maintenance was non existant.

18. xxxapache

I had to edit my prior response. It was incorrect.

YJ Wranglers only have a Dana 35 in the rear. Some TJ's have a Dana 44

19. AAAUGIE

AAAUGIE New Member

I'm pretty confident of my drive train. I pick this thing up and move it around the driveway by hand. I was really more curious about towing with such a short wheelbase rig as I usually tow with an extended cab full size pickup. But I see a few others here tow with them so I think I'll be fine. I love my jeep by the way, played in the snow today. Why didn't I get one of them 20 years ago

20. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

[o!!!o]Axle swap convos over a popup. This is Jeep country! Good times [o!!!o]

AAAUGIE likes this.