Traction mats / rugs

Discussion in 'Taking Your Camper Off Road' started by Kb2yht, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Kb2yht

Kb2yht New Member

So my old rugs failed me today.
    Thankfully I did not have the pup behind me ,
    But I got in too deep in the mud helping a friend.
    Went to throw my rugs under the tires for some extra traction, and they proved useless.

What do you like to use as traction mats ?

I was looking at some of the nice molded plastic ones, but they are very spendy for something I only use maybe once a year, have any of you tried them are they worth the money?

Maybe a better question for a off-road forum, but I figure folks on the portal tend to be more about function than flash.

Thanks
    Bill

2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

If you are really doing off-roading, then most will have a winch and if needed due to no structures to hook too (desert travel), a Pull Pal foldable anchor.
    [​IMG]

3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I cant say anything about the mats as I have never tried to use anything of that nature. I bring the Farm Jack and some lumber when I know I am going off roading. As f5moab stated a winch is the easiest way to go they are not cheat. A Harbor Freight Farm Jack is less than $60.

4. f5moab

I remembered this thread yesterday when walking the dog. We have had weeks of rain around here, but it has started to dry out. But yesterday, walking the dogs, came across a chevy pickup that was in a farmer's field and sunk to is rockers in mud. So I stopped to chat for a minute and to check that he was able to call for help. He had, a friend with a Diesel Ram was coming and then he arrived. Nice truck, had about a 4" lift, but instead of hooking up a strap and trying to pull him out from the road (which might have been a bit rough), the guy in the RAM jumps in and attempts to drive out to the chevy truck.
    Only difference between the two trucks in a few seconds was the RAM was sunk about 4" further down to the rockers.
    I laughed, and walked the dogs home.
    Later when driving into the store, I passed by there and there was a Class 8 Peterbilt, 3-axle tow truck out of Idaho Falls yanking them out of the field. I can only guess what the fee was since it is about 70 miles to ID Falls. The RAM was out, and it looks like he will be dropping mud for the next 200 miles.

5. Doctorphate

Doctorphate Member

As an avid overlander I use two sets of these: http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/166.htm

They make excellent traction aids, I've used them to recover myself many times as well as 1ton trucks

While a winch is great to have, the traction ramps are lighter and smaller thus not lowering my mileage which for an overlander is a big deal. In our circles ramps and snatch straps are bought first, when you have enough cash to blow, sure a winch, why not? But 99% of the time maxtrax/smittybilt ramps and snatch strap is all you'll need.

I've used them to get my 2wd truck up pretty difficult obstacles that everyone swore was impossible in 2wd.

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

f5moab That's some funny stuff right there. IT reminds me of the time I was playing in the snow with my wife's Explorer and managed to get myself buried about 3' higher than the bottom of the door. I was in the process of digging out everything from under the truck when some kid in his dad's truck saw me from the road.When he hit the brakes and swung into the lot I knew that he going to drive right up to me and get himself stuck. I had both hands high in the air trying to wave him off when I drove over the snow bank at the edge of the parking area. Yup He just keep coming until he buried 10' in front of me. Than the kid would not take any advice from me and kept getting his truck deeper and deeper. The property we were on is very sandy and he was now buried in the sand when his father showed up. After a quick tongue lashing dad called for some rope and chains to pull the kid out. When they asked if I wanted then to pull me out I laughed and told them all I needed to do was put it in reverse and drive out the way I came in. That's when the father lost it on the kid. The moral of the story LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP.

7. Doctorphate

Doctorphate Member

Those smittybilt traction ramps got me out of this by the way, and those are 31" tires FYI.

[​IMG]

8. f5moab

Never had a problem with snow when I had the H3. However, if I needed, I had these two to pull me out.... [:D]
    [​IMG]

9. Kb2yht

Kb2yht New Member

Moab, that is an awesome seen , I can just picture the tow driver trying to keep a straight face.
    OTOH, I have been the guy needing a bigger tow truck before. Telling the story after always starts "it seemed like a good idea at the time....."

Thanks Doc, the Smitty built ramps look like just the right thing. I'll have to see if I can get them locally.

10. f5moab

That is one saying, the other I have heard is, "hold my beer and watch this." [:D]