TrafficMaster Allure 1/8" Expansion Gap?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by cannotbackup, Apr 14, 2017.

1. cannotbackup

cannotbackup Member

Hello -
    We are updating floor in popup. We are not removing cabinet.
    Are considering TrafficMaster Allure Flooring from Home Depot.
    Here is link to the product:
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....plank-flooring-24-sq-ft--case.1000804649.html
    This is vinyl flooring that does not adhere to the floor - rather: "Simply lay overlapping GripStrip of one plank on adjacent plank and press together. No other adhesive required"
    The instructions recommend 1/8" gap for expansion.
    Anyone installed this flooring without the 1/8" gap for expansion?

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm curious the answers as this is the exact flooring I was going to put in mine. I didn't want something that glued down. A friend recommended that flooring for a bathroom so thought it should work in the camper. Although I haven't started my project yet. I was only planning to leave an expansion gap on the front and back of my camper and under my slideout. I'm hoping that would be enough because otherwise my cabinets would not be able to open with the trim on.

3. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

I used this product in my PUP remodel last year. I did not leave a gap, and I had no issues with expansion.

However, I think that is important to consider the extremes in temperature that your floor will experience throughout the year. Mine is -40C to 35C (-40F to 95F). I installed my floor when it was about 20(70F).

It is important that the planks are the same temperature as the floor of your PUP when they are installed. Be sure to open the boxes and spread out the planks, so they are all the same temp. I spread mine out on the bunks.

I should note that I have yet to open my PUP this spring, since it was still surrounded by snow until earlier this week, but I don't anticiapte. any issues with the floor.

Hope this helps!
    Pat

4. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

The gap is for expansion/contraction with temperature changes. Fit it together tight and you can expect it to buckle.

BTW, the manufacturer says it is not approved for use in RVs. Probably due to extreme temperature swings. I installed it one year ago in my trailer and it has done fine.

Some doors I was able to relocate a bit higher, one door I had to cut in order to clear the shoe mold.

5. justwork

justwork Active Member

I'd imagine if you don't leave the gap when the temperature starts to climb the floor will expand and buckle. However, with the tiny surface area of the PUP you might get away with not putting a gap... Which would explain why Strawhouse hasn't had any issues. I've seen this exact thing happen in basements, but the total area is much larger.

6. cannotbackup

cannotbackup Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Nice to hear that no gap shouldn't be an issue.