Trailer Breaks Wiring issue

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by world traveler, Aug 18, 2019.

1. world traveler

world traveler Member

Need help figuring out what happened and how to fix this. Replaced breaks and repacked bearing a little over a year ago, but had some issues so took the trailer to a small rv place that was available on a short notice (the place had decent reviews and surprisingly was available next day). Seemed ok after. We only went on a few trips since then. Just got back from a five-hour drive and noticed trailer breaks not working intermittently last part of the way, and break controller showing 'open circuit' or nothing at all from time to time. Tried some diagnostics to isolate the issue. So this is what happened with the wires 20190818_131820[1].jpg 20190818_131749[1].jpg Why/How did they rub over the hub (?) Do I have to replace the whole section or just the part that damaged? How are they supposed to be so it doesn't happen again?

I don't really want to take the trailer to the same guy or anyone else if it's relatively easy and not too time consuming since I only have limited time until our labor day trip. Thank you your input.

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You can do this yourself. Cut the bad spots off the wires and wire them back on the brake wires. Use a proper butt splice connectors with heat shrink covering and route them away from any moving parts. Do not use those wire nuts. Very poor job, don't go back.

Sjm9911, WrkrBee and neighbormike like this.
  3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

^^ Exactly

world traveler likes this.
  4. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Be sure to leave just enough slack for full extension of the suspension over big bumps.

tombiasi likes this.
  5. world traveler

world traveler Member

Thank you. I'll try to see if there is enough wire on the left break (and if that one is ok). How likely is it that this is the issue with intermittent 'open circuit' or no connection break controller code? Or should we dig any further?

6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Start by repairing what you know is bad - the break in the brake wire... I would also double check your 7-pin connections.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

u can also use the paint on plastic goop over the butt connectors, been working well for me on two trailers

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Or liquid tape.

9. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

I think I would replace the wire all the way from the brake magnet to somewhere under the trailer. Maybe a foot or two away from the brake drum. And like they said above, secure the wires away from any moving parts of the axle including the brake drum.

10. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Brake wires should not have been run between the tire and the swing arm. Come in under the swing arm and to the back of the brakes.

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, 2 of mine look loke that now. So im guessing its standerd practice.