Trailer Dolly and grass

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by wnickles, May 1, 2010.

1. wnickles

wnickles New Member

Hi, got my pup out of storage and nice and neat in the garage. Of course gave the neighbor across the street a 20 minute show of me trying to get the pup in the garage without hitting the gardening wall, garage, or basketball hoop. Ugh!!!! It's nice to have it back though. ANyways I have heard some mention that moving the camper around is easier with a dolly. I have a SeaPine. Anyways is there a specific company or place to check out that you would recommend for trailer dollies? Am looking for one that I can use to pull camper on grass so I can move it for some side yard camping. Anyone use their dolly on grass? Anyone recommend one over another? Thanks!!!!

2. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

I've never needed to use one but Habor freight has them for 50.00

3. muffyluvscamping

muffyluvscamping New Member

I bought mine so it will go over the grass the wheel in front on the trailer likes to sink in. The pneumatic tires are awesome on the grass. Harbor Freight

4. twstdpear

twstdpear Party like it's 2012!

Here's the one I have:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-trailer-dolly-37510.html

It works extremely well with my utility trailer, and I moved my previous camper ('08 Yuma ~2400lbs GVWR) around occasionally with it. If our driveway was reasonably flat, it would have been a one-person job, however the slope always worried me so I always made sure there was someone there to help.

I haven't tried it on the "new" pup ('07 Saratoga ~3500lbs) yet. Towards the end of our ownership of the old pup, I finally built up a good place to store it. So now, I usually just back the pup into its spot on a pad at the top of the driveway, just inside the gate to the back yard, and it stays there until we go on a trip. I imagine if the driveway was flat, it wouldn't be a problem moving the Saratoga around either.

5. wnickles

wnickles New Member

IS there a problem using the dollies on grass and moving it from say a driveway to a side of a house going on grass?

6. grim509

grim509 Member

Nope. It works great. I push/pull mine all the time from our gravel driveway, through the gate into the yard all the time. Our driveway has a pretty good slope to it, so I try to make sure I have someone to help if I need to go up the slope. It makes steering so much easier too!

7. wnickles

wnickles New Member

Thanks for all the info guys and girls. :) Hey Grim... what kind / company dolly do you own?

8. grim509

grim509 Member

Not sure off the top of my head. I picked it up at Harbor Freight. It was on sale when I got it.

Here's a link to the one I have:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-trailer-dolly-37510.html

9. snoopytrooper

snoopytrooper New Member

I would love to have one ( from the link above ) but I don't think I can push / pull / drag 2120#'s

10. grim509

grim509 Member

A year ago, I herniated 3 disks in my lower back, 1 of them severely. I'm nowhere near 100% and I can push/pull my camper no problem at all. I do need a helping hand going from the driveway to the back yard, however, as there is a bit of a hump in the grass right there. The dolly is a suprising help in doing this, especially with the pneumatic tires on it.