Trailer instability

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by A_LPopUp, Jan 5, 2015.

1. A_LPopUp

A_LPopUp Member

We love our new trailer. It's perfect for our needs. The only problem is... at highway speeds, it is unstable. It does NOT sway at all, it feels like the trailer is randomly making movements while we are going down the road. We have a Fastway e2 weight distribution sway control hitch. We have tried m moving the brackets on the trailer up a hole to distribute more weight to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

-A

2. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

I don't have experience with a travel trailer or WDH, but a few thoughts come to mind thoughts come to mind
    First are the tires equal in air pressure, balanced ?
    Second did you load it evenly?
    Third did you have anything in the holding tanks? could that have been sloshing around causing the instability?

Good luck with searching the solution

3. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

That's a pretty big trailer. 3500# or so, dry weight. Your TV appears to have either 5000# or 7000# capacity. I don't know if that includes people and cargo or not, but you could be pushing the limits of that TV.

4. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

I hope you did all this. Measure the wheel height before and after hitch,wdh .your front should be close to the normal height. It just might be a wheel base issue or are you close to the tongue weight.

a simple cheaper fix is airbags. But I will try to set the wdh and then go down that road.

5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

You are pulling a 24' trailer with a KIA....

6. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

Kind of what I was thinking, not to knock Kia, but it does not look like a big TV.

Begs the question, what are "Highway Speeds"

I used to tow my Niagara with a Honda Pilot, had to go slow with that.

7. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

I just goggled "2015 Gulfstream 24RBH" oh my, that's a full TT...

8. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Wow that is a pretty big tt. Let me now how things work out. I too just got a e2 fastway. But havent hooked up yet

9. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

The Kia has a curb weight @4600 lbs +/-
    The Gulfstream has a GVWR @6100 lbs.
    You can't go by dry weight of the trailer @ 3593 lbs. I doubt your towing it empty with no battery / propane / gear etc?
    The trailer weight is equal to, or more than, the weight of the tow vehicle.
    The wheelbase of the KIA is 9'-6".
    Not enough tow vehicle IMO. Go slow.

When you get to highway speed the wind load is causing the rear of the TV to move all over. I don't think your hitch will compensate for that. The TV is just too light for the combo.

Funny thing is Trailerlife has nothing bad to say about the 2009 V8 Borrego and they review it towing a trailer larger than yours. Reviews don't mean much though, especially from that publication. It is the V8 model correct?

10. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

There is always some movement from wind and road surface re-directing the trailer. If you have leaf springs there will be more axle steering, as one side hits bumps and the axle angle changes and redirects wheels on the other side. Independent axles help with that such as the axles on an airstream. But there will always be some movement.

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

This is your answer..

But you do have a couple options ...
    1) drive slow as in use your hazard lights slow...
    2) Sell the Kia and buy a vehicle that can handle the GVWR of the trailer..
    3) Sell the trailer and buy something that has a GVWR that the Kia can handle

12. 96Rockwood

96Rockwood Member

Not enough TV You need a bigger TV, mostly do to Wheel base.

If you get a big enough TV you don't even need a WDH or sway control.

Here is just shy of 7,000 lbs loaded to roll, and there are zero stability issue, just drop on the ball and go.

I would get a bigger TV if I was you, once the trailer is loaded it will be greatly over the capabilities of your vehicle.

[​IMG]

13. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Last summer, we saw a Kia Borrego attempt to pull a 24' TT up a slight inclined hill at Silent Lake PP. Not only was the Kia almost bottomed out, but it was carrying 5 full grown men and 2 large dogs. I can't even imagine what the trailer had in it!

Not only was the TT pushing him down the hill but he could barely stop at the bottom and almost landed himself down a ravine. I'm sure (and hope) you are a lot smarter then this idiot was; clearly he did not do his homework and could have injured someone, if not worse.

I really don't know much about the TT's or what TV is best. I have learned a lot more then I did know 2 years ago though. And what we saw this past summer.....I hope to never see again!

14. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Another agreement with either a new TV, or trailer.

I read that your TV has between a 5K and 7K lbs towing capacity, but that includes everything in or on your Kia. I was not able to find your hitch weight max, i suspect 550 lbs with a WDH, or the payload capacity. Here's some specs on your Gulf Stream
    Dry Weight (fictional number)- 3593.
    Cargo Carrying Capacity - 2527
    GVWR (best number to use) 6120
    Tongue Weight - 560

Most likely you are overweight in towing and/or tongue weight.

I suspect the dealer "forgot" to mention the GVWR of your trailer. If they did, it really makes me angry and if I were you, Id slander them all over the internet [:(!] . Not only are they selling you a TT you can't tow, greatly endangering you and your family, but endangering everyone else on the road with you.

15. natedog_37

natedog_37 New Member

100% agree you need a bigger t.V. [PUT]

16. davido

davido Active Member

But that's what dealers do.

When I was in the process of buying my Forest River Rockwood Premier 2516G I kept telling the dealer what my weight limits were, and he still kept trying to push me toward a high wall, which would have exceeded those limits once loaded with propane, batteries, and a little bit of gear. "Oh don't worry, you can tow it!" he would say, and my response each time would be, "I don't care if I can, I care if I should. Let's stay within my weight range."

He kept pushing the Rockwood HW296 (GVWR of 4573), and I kept saying I wanted to stay below 3500 pounds GVWR. I ended up getting the Rockwood Premier 2516G (GVWR of 3292). That's more than a 1000 pound difference. Very irresponsible of him, but the price tag would have been several thousand in his favor.

Since then I've upgraded TV's anyway, but I am still thrilled with the selection I made.

17. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

X2 ...., when i bought my 22 footer, they tried pushing a 27 footer that weighed 1300 ibs more.. but i told them i was more confortable with the smaller one.

18. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Then I would make a bad dealer or RV salesman [LOL] . I couldn't sell something that can endanger so many, especially without the customer's knowledge.

19. R00

R00 Active Member

OP is pretty quiet so far. Hope he's on Ebay motors or something :)

20. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Before u spend a large amount of money.

goto a scale .weigh ur front axle and rear with the TT.
    measure the front height from the top of the wheel wel. Make sure its close to stock.
    how old your Koa.have the shocks checked for some weeping.

adjust wdh to axle weights right.

now check is the rear is squating too much. If this is a suspension thin via a airbag.

if above all fail then u have to make a call on the TV....