Trailer Jack Wheel - Is This Going To Fail?

MurrayChalet

Jul 20, 2020
We have a 2004 Chalet Arrowhead A-Frame trailer. I believe the weight, when full, likely exceeds 2000 lbs. A couple questions:
  1. The way the detachable trailer jack wheel sits is a bit scary. It just looks like it could snap or fail at any moment, but thankfully hasn't yet.

2. Since the capacity says 1000 lbs on the wheel, I'm guessing my trailer wasn't intended to have this kind of setup. Unless of course the weight is a distributed number and thus it's only taking on 1/2 of the weight while the trailer wheels take the other 1/2? A few decades out of college so this stuff isn't coming back to me like it used to. :)
Any suggestions, comments, or recommendations would certainly be appreciated! Thanks!

IMG_3772.jpeg
IMG_3773.jpeg

billbillbillbill

Sep 4, 2012
SLC, UT
A typical trailer only puts 10-20% of it's weight on the hitch. The rest is supported by the tires so it doesn't sound overloaded to me. I do find that when I am rolling a trailer, I prefer to have it lower so there is less stress on the trailer jack.

generok

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
Looks like nearly every jack wheel I've seen. Like folks above said, you probably have 200-300 lbs on that wheel max. The rest is on the main axle.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
From someone who grossly overloaded his jack wheel during a failed uncoupling - its fine - those things are as tough as nails. AS always, I recommend tossing the wheel, replacing the axle with a looong bolt, and putting a ball bearing hub wheel (same diameter) on the two outside faces of the old jack wheel lower body - now you have a dual wheel jack - much easier to use.

Attachments

• tongue wheel modified for two.jpg
    tongue wheel modified for two.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 25

DiamondGirl

Adventures with KODI in AZ
Jul 2, 2016
AZ
Anthony Hitchings...

We’ve been looking around for a dual wheel Jack. Will have to copy yours soon. Thanks for sharing.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

Tyl

Jul 9, 2020
Looks like nearly every jack wheel I've seen. Like folks above said, you probably have 200-300 lbs on that wheel max. The rest is on the main axle.

Agreed. Although I'll say the tongue jack on my 1980 Coleman is monstrous, including a metal wheel. It stays straight no matter the height or weight. I've never seen them built that tough.