Trailer Lights only one working/ plug it up to elect all exterior lights stay on

Websurfingqueen

Sep 10, 2006
Ok, every year we have some electric trailer light problem. It's really getting to us. This year we hooked up the lights and no lights again. So, we checked the harness on our minivan and there is some corrosion on the 4 pin, so we tried to clean it using a mini screwdriver, ok now we have one tail light working, but nothing else. No brake lights no signals no marker lights. In addition to this problem last year and this year when we plug our electric in to an outlet or hookup at camp all the exterior lights work-brakes,marker, tail etc.

I can't for the life of me figure out why this is happening. I've tried to search for topics in hear and googled it.

Any suggestions? Can I replace the 4 pin on my van? cut it off and splice it with a new one?

And why in the world would all the lights come on and stay on when hooked to electric??? (all bulbs must be ok since they come on) which makes me think it's in the harness.

Thanks for any and all help and suggestions. We planning a vaca at Indian Lakes in sunman for the 4th, so trying to get this resolved before we leave. Don't want to take it to the dealer I know they will charge a lot and we just don't have the money. :(

Websurfingqueen

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
Re: Trailer Lights only one working/ plug it up to elect all exterior lights sta

You have a ground problem...most likely... That a set of jumper cables and connect one end to the metal frame of your TV. Connect the other end of the same cable to the PUC frame. If OK repair connector, if not check the spot that the white wires connect to the frame. The lights work when the PUC is plugged in because the convertor is providing a ground.

Websurfingqueen

Sep 10, 2006
going to check it out, had a friend with a 12v plug checker he seems to think something might be pinched inside the camper. We cleaned the plugs out and I bought a new 4 flat plug for the van, but only going to do that as a last resort. I think the plug is fine. Got a left turn signal no running light, got a right running light no signal , no marker lights. Very Frustrating!

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
Re: trailer light issues

Why did you disconnect your ground wire!!!! Thats the problem, the ground. First check you 4 terminal plug on your TV with a testlight or voltmeter. The bare terminal is the ground connection. If the plug is OK connect a battery jumper cable from a good clean part of your TV. Connect the other end of the same cable to a good clean spot on the trailer...... If the lights are OK then ....repair the ground connection. The wiring code for the TV plug is brown=runninglights, Yellow=left turn/stop, Green=right Turn/stop, and the white is the ground. Hope this helps...start a the TV plug.

Storm Trooper

Home is where you park it!
Feb 14, 2008
Where my camper is parked now.
websurfingqueen,

Please read this before posting in this section.
Click here

Thank you.

Now let me play Carnack here..

Is it a coleman/fleetwood pup with a front storage area?
If so, it quite possibly is a defective light switch for the storage area box. It will backfeed the running lights when it goes bad.

Get a spray can of contact cleaner from radio Shack and spray the male and female parts of your 4 pin connectors a couple of times a year. That ill go a long way to slowing corrosion there.

Ray Arnold

Let's do this thing !
Sep 13, 2008
Mesa,AZ
Here is a link I found a while back that is quite useful when it comes to troubleshooting trailer wiring. I book marked this for future refinance.
http://www.rofb.net/faq/faq_trailerwiring.htm

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
Re: Trailer Lights only one working/ plug it up to elect all exterior lights sta

That is a very good link. One of the best.