Trailer Lights

Discussion in 'Road Safety Systems' started by Clawhauser, Apr 8, 2021.

1. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

A ground through the hitch should not even be considered. You should be able to hook up the 7 pin wiring and everything work fine with the trailer not hitched.

2. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

You should be able to use a multimeter or 12V test light and verify that things work at the TV, without the trailer even in the picture.

Far too little information here to be throwing out specific solutions, especially since this is a new installation done by an amateur with no experience that has never yet worked.

Westcoast and xxxapache like this.
  3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

It should, but many times the ground wire on the vehicle isn't connected. Also if you have a brake controller (tekonsha ones anyways) actually use the hitch ground to sense when the trailer is connected.. both of my bc's ( Voyageur and P3) show when the trailer is physically on the hitch..

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Unless you have a Tekonsha bc.. they actually use the hitch ground to complete the circuit or at least my 2 do (Voyageur the light changes to green when trailer is hitched, P3 actually displays the trailer is hitched), unhutched or a trailer like my utility trailer which has a 7 way plug but no brakes, they both signal no trailer.. there is actually a blurb in their manuals that if you don't get the trailer attached indication to check for excessive corrosion..

5. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

My brake controller also shows when a trailer is hooked up... That means it see's the resistance of the magnets in the trailer brakes... If the trailer didn't have a ground, which it will if the trailer is properly wired, then its possible to have the brake controller only show a trailer when the trailer is hitched... My ball mounts are wrapped in a thick rubber tape to keep them from rattling, so that wouldn't work anyway.... I could have my trailer 20' away from my tow vehicle and if I could hook up the 7 pin, it would show my trailer being connected.

Anyway, it sounds like the OP has a poor installation on the tow vehicle so this is a moot point.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

With mine plugged in, it shows they are electrically connected, but without them hitched up, the trailer doesn't show.. likewise, when hitched up and not plugged in, they show the trailer but shows no power to it.. makes for a fool proof way to ensure both the trailer is hitched and the plug is in. The P3 shows all this with images, words and colors.. the Voyageur just uses one 4 color led green for good, yellow for either no plug, or not hitched, orange and red are for amount of braking power..

You're right though it is a moot point in this case but the double ground is a safety thing, with your hitch wrapped in rubber, if you were to loose the 7way ground, you'd loose your brakes..

7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Do you really need electronics to know if your trailer is on the ball? Hitch ground should never be relied upon as a ground.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Tell that too my brake controllers.. that is how they are designed to work..

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

What brake controllers do you have?

10. Clawhauser

Clawhauser Member

Tow vehicle.

@Raycfe , yea that's what I'm afraid of.