Trailer tires sitting in one spot all winter

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Indianrock, May 24, 2019.

1. Indianrock

Indianrock Member

I'm sure this has been asked, but I'm wondering if I should move my trailer a few times during the winter, or probably best, how to economically lift the trailer and tires for the winter? If I don't want to spend for "trailer legs," can I safely jack it up and correctly position some good jack stands?

http://tinyurl.com/y53vn7co

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Just make sure they are fully aired up and don't worry about them. Covers are a good investment, IMO.

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Yes, by all means move them many times over the Winter and all year long BY GOING CAMPING! [LOL][LOL][LOL][LOL]

4. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

If you are really worried about it, go to Walmart or Harbor freight and buy 2 $8 Jack stands. Place them under the axle and call it a day.

Indianrock likes this.
  5. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

It is not an issue to worry about. The tires remain round. Just make sure you air them up properly before storage.

Indianrock likes this.
  6. Indianrock

Indianrock Member

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

If you really want to try and protect your tires, take them off and store them indoors.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Park the trailer wheels on some 2x10, air them up and cover them..

tenttrailer likes this.
  9. Indianrock

Indianrock Member

I could do that after putting it up on jack stands. One typical 3-ton jackstand under the frame ( not axle ) behind each wheel along with a support under the tongue ought to be adequate for a 2800 pound trailer

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Another idea, depending on how old the tires are.. Buy a new set of tires with rims for summer use and swap them out with the current set in the fall and use the older tires as "winter storage" tires.. I did that for 3 years with our pup..

11. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

I think tires used to be more likely to take a set in the old days. I have stored mine every winter for 6 months at a time without any problems. I did buy new tires after they got 5 years old. I have 35,800 miles on the camper and have not had any problems with the tires.

12. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I had a friend that jacked up his camper for the winter and deflated the tires to a low pressure. Come spring he aired them up for the first trip and had two bad ones. Go figure. I just leave inflated and covered.

13. Indianrock

Indianrock Member

Interesting but hard to draw a conclusion since we don't know if those tires were already borderline.

http://rvlife.com/trailer-legs-rv-tire-storage/

14. Indianrock

Indianrock Member

On the RVLife web site the creator of Trailer Legs made a comment that was interesting:
    "I have yet to figure out how to safely lift my trailer by its frame."
    Not sure what he meant about that although on a gravel parking pad like mine I can see some issues. I just jacked mine up using a 20-ton bottle jack with 2x4 block on top to lift the wheel by the frame ( jack to the rear of the single axle. ). I was able to put in a jack stand under the frame between the bottle jack and the tire but you do have to be careful about the jack remaining level.

TrailerLegs utilizes a 4″ wide axle cradle which positions next to your trailers spring purch. Most axle manufacturers use a 1 7/8″ wide spring and purch. TrailerLegs applies less force to the axle tube than the spring and purch do.

If you have ever jacked your trailer up from the axle, you will have probably noticed that the jack and jackstand take up quite a bit of area along the surface of the axle. Also, the width of the surface supported by a jack or jackstand, usually is less than an inch wide. These conditions are why the axle manufacturers refer to using the frame as a jacking point.
    I have yet to figure out how to safely lift my trailer by its frame.

15. Dont slow down

Dont slow down New Member

I’m curious as to why everyone says don’t put the jack stand under the axle? My jack stand has a curved perch and cradles the axle just right. The weight is still being held by the springs, just the same as if it was sitting on the ground. I don’t see anything wrong with this method. It’s a steel tube, not a plastic straw.

16. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

If storing on grass or dirt? I would put it to rest on a 2x8. Wet dirt can leach out the oils out of tires.