Trailer Valet on Aliner Expedition

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Hilldweller, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Hilldweller

Hilldweller Well-Known Member

https://trailervalet.com/shop/trailer-valet-5x/

Did anybody mount one of these? Says it needs 8" of clear tongue and I don't seem to have that. The battery tray and propane tanks take up too much real estate.

Pics please if you've found a work around. My driveway is a hill, not very long, and parking is tight. The stupid little bump to get in the garage is the problem and the Valet would eat it up.
    Plus the parking brake would be a handy feature in many campsites. Or just being able to spin the trailer around at some sites to have a nicer front yard, etc.

2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

How heavy is this contraption?

3. Hilldweller

Heavy enough that I wouldn't want to leave it on the tongue but light enough that I wouldn't have to see a chiropractor after using it.

4. S4nsc

S4nsc Member

I have been eyeing this myself. Things are tight getting into the garage and this would make things easier than backing it in with the truck each time. Good catch on the space required for installation, I had missed that when I was looking.

Following along to see what experience others have.

Hilldweller likes this.
  5. cindy_k

cindy_k Member

It looks like if you are just using it to move the trailer around you don't need the mounting part that needs the 8" clearance. My husband is planning on putting the camper in the garage tongue first so it will fit better. This is very interesting.

CamperJackThing.png

6. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

We had to shuffle some things around to mount ours. The old unused sway bar attachment it came with had to go. The corner of the battery box fits in between the two U-bolts and the whole box was slid over a bit. It's not pretty, but few of our mods are.

Attached Files:

Hilldweller likes this.
  7. Hilldweller

The heavy duty version with the ball mount costs quite a bit more than the one that attaches to the tongue.
    They go on sale at Lowe's BTW. Most recent sale just ended May 31.

Thanks for the pic; interesting.
    What do you mean by "old unused sway bar attachment"? Antisway hitch? Mine doesn't have those evil-looking things...

8. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Yeah friction antisway hitch. We bought the trailer used and it came with a friction sway control bar--the previous owner towed with a light pickup and probably needed it. The rusty patches on the tongue are where it was....

(We don't tow with all those wires flopping around though.)

Hilldweller likes this.
  9. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have both the 5x and the XL (don't ask) and they each have a place.

The XL just goes into the ball coupler, which is nice, but the 5x and its tongue mount allow me to bring the camper to the car and hitch it up easily.

This is me with the 5x. I like to turn the camper around so the door faces the house and the tongue faces the backyard. It also is nice security since there is no easy way to hitch up my trailer to steal it. I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed it camping so I stopped bringing it along, but its great for moving the trailer into the backyard between two fence posts (no gate, I take down the fence panel) with about 3 inches of clearance (for the winter). I also once used it to move the trailer to another site (next one over) without lowering the PUP

Rik Peery and Hilldweller like this.
  10. cindy_k

cindy_k Member

11. Hilldweller

Let us know which hospital you'll be in.... ....that thing looks Harbor Freight-flimsy.

I just ordered the Valet XL from Costco thanks to @DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl likes this.
  12. Hilldweller

Well it arrived Friday and I used it Saturday.

The plan was to use it to take the trailer out of the garage and down the driveway without having to use the truck. My driveway has a pitch which I measured at 7.9 degrees at its steepest.
    Their videos seem to contradict each other. They show a spokesman using the XL to go up a 12 degree ramp and then say "never use this on a slope"...
    But then there are videos on slopes. So I didn't know what to think.
    And I used it on my slope. Good thing I had the wheel chocks pre-deployed or I would've been chasing the trailer down the block...
    The XL did everything great until the tires lost traction. Then they just skidded and left rubber marks like a hot-rod doing a burn-out. Had to hitch to the truck...
    Overall I was able to do what I wanted to do with the trailer Saturday while hitched. My driveway isn't long enough to get the trailer all the way out and stay hitched; the front of the truck is in the street. However, because an Aliner has a steeply pitched roof, I could keep the hind-end of the trailer in the garage, raise the roof, and the truck was only in the street about 2 feet. Not bad.

We're going camping for a week on Saturday. When we come home I'll see if I need/want to use the XL to park the trailer. If not I'll see about returning it to Costco.

As far as a review goes, this thing is fantastic. It really moves the trailer around effortlessly on a level surface or slight grade. It just fails on a slopey concrete driveway.

Campeador, Annunzi and cindy_k like this.
  13. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

Hilldweller, have you thought about adding a front hitch to your truck?

Hilldweller likes this.
  14. Hilldweller

I had one on one of my Jeeps --- and when I put on a new bumper I didn't feel the need to transfer it over.
    Let's just say that the combination of the hill I live on, corner house, and the grade of the driveway made it a comic exercise in practice.

The XL might just work though. The grade isn't so steep up top. I'm going to give it a go after our week camping.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  15. Campeador

Campeador Active Member

Finally opted for the XL via Costco, based on your rec.

Took a great solo trip w/ the dog, which was fantastic, but both me and the wifey ended up with sore backs from maneuvering our expedition with a dolly... so we had to pull the trigger. With no incline, just tight spaces, we're hoping it solves our storage issues.

PS: camped with electricity and water for the first time. SO NICE. AC worked great, having boxed in and insulated the adjacent storage. Got down to 66 inside, when it was 84 outside.

Hilldweller and DiamondGirl like this.
  16. TimAZ

TimAZ New Member

Doughboy43 and Hilldweller like this.