Trailer wiring for 2007 Ford F-150

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by malaki86, May 16, 2013.

1. malaki86

malaki86 New Member

My truck, a 2007 Ford F-150, already has a 4-wire connector on it (it's a Reese T-connector). That was all fine and good until I bought my "new" camper. This one is a 6-wire (adds 12v constant power & backup lights) - the camper has surge brakes. I know the truck is somewhat setup for a full 7-wire system because there's a fuse in the fusebox for camper fuses (electric brakes & 12v power).

Someone told me that there's a plugin at the rear of the truck for a standard 7-wire system. I just need to buy the plug adapter from a parts store. I found the adapter with no problem, but I can't find the plugin on the truck anywhere.

2. chrismarques

chrismarques New Member

The connector your looking for is over the left side of the rear axle. Ford makes a nice expensive connector to plug in with a 7 wire plug at the end. When I wired up my '08 f 150 it was going to be about $95. Search on etrailer for a video on hooking up a brake controller on your year truck and they show how to tap into that wiring without having to buy the ford harness. Also you may have to plug a relay in the fuse box for the 12v to be live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

4. malaki86

malaki86 New Member

When I called the local Ford dealer, they quoted me $135 for the harness. Pretty steep.

5. malaki86

malaki86 New Member

Found the correct one @ eTrailer. Thank you all!