Trailer Wiring Question

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by thefuzz4, Aug 12, 2013.

1. thefuzz4

thefuzz4 New Member

So just a quick question here. I have a 1973 Jayco Popup. Last night my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to look up the wiring diagram for a regular round 7 way connector since my Avalanche has one. I knew that vehicles (such as mine with a brake controller) use the 7 way connector but I didn't know where all of the connections went. 4 Wire lights are simple enough but the 7 way I didn't know. So to my surprise I noticed that there was a 12v line in there. According to the owners manual that will power the interior lights of the trailer.

My question is, has anyone ever used their vehicle to power the interior lights? I'm only intrigued by this since
    1. My power converter is shot. (We're considering adding a battery to the pup and setup a charging system from the truck to the pup. My father in law is a mechanic so he knows how to set this up properly)
    2. We don't camp at regular camp grounds. We like to go up into the woods with our ATVs and not disturb others
    3. We bought some cheap battery powered LED lights for the pup but hey if I can just use my trucks battery to light it up all the better.

Thank you all for your help with this in advance.

2. timothias

timothias New Member

The 12v line essentially supplies 12v to your trailers battery. This will power the lights. More commonly you see this used to charge the battery while towing, and/or run the fridge. I don't leave mine connected while parked because I don't want to drain the TV battery into the PUP. Mine really just tops off the charge on the battery. IIRC it will also supply power to your trailer brakes, but I'm not certain.

Your truck's battery will not have the same capacity to run the trailer as a rv or deep cycle would. Vehicle batteries are designed for hight burst output, not long sustained draw. Running your trailer off it would kill it and leave you stranded. Your best bet would be to do what you said and give the trailer it's own deep cycle, and charge that off your running truck if you must. Or, invest in a generator.

3. thefuzz4

thefuzz4 New Member

We were thinking that it would be ok to run from the truck, since the only items in the pup that would be running are the overhead LED lights that the previous owner installed. If we need 110v I've got a small inverter that I keep in the TV.

I do agree with you though that the best route would be to add a deep cycle battery to the pup. I'll have to add that to something to do this winter :).

4. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Add a 90 amp Group 27 deep cycle battery or larger. Do not run your camper off your TV battery. You could find yourself stranded in the middle of nowhere with no one around to help you.

5. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Your avalanche ought to be wired for a 'charge line'. It may take a fuse/relay to get it to send power to the 7 blade plug. I think on chevys, it is always hot and not controlled by ignition. There should something in its owners manual on it.

Jumper cables could be used and handy when the TV battery won't spin the starter. [LOL]

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I agree with the others. Get a deep cycle battery for the trailer. Your automotive battery in the TV is not intended for constant drain. With a 7-pin wiring system that includes a charge line you can charge the trailer battery while towing.

7. thefuzz4

thefuzz4 New Member

We will be adding in the deep cycle battery to the pup over the winter. Thank you all for your suggestions. Looking forward to this project :). This last weekend we finally decided to redo all of the marker lights on the trailer. A lot of them were still the original lights, and the plastic molding on them had become very brittle, you just look at it and it'd break. The new lights look a lot better. You'll definetly see it coming down the highway lol.

8. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

9. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Sir

You may also find either a 25% or 20% Coupon for Harbour Freight to use towards a Solo Panel Unit.

No Noise, No adding fuel that you have carried with you and several more No's, and
    it is lighter in weight.

10. thefuzz4

thefuzz4 New Member

Hey Roger,

Thanks for the tip on that. The wife and I were actually throwing that idea around the other night. I'll let you all know what I decide to do.